Blacked Out Tail Lights - The Results - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Blacked Out Tail Lights - The Results

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 07-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #16
BlakeDGKleavitt
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I sanded wet sanded put on some paint thinner sprayed a nice single coat (should of sanded after coat of night shades had drip marks) then did 3 coats of clear coat. I use a pressure washer on mine and it's fine. So u should be good.

BlakeDGKleavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
Mark-96-XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihogan View Post
Ok man, thanks! I wouldn't mind re-doing in a year. Maybe by then I'll just remove it like you did! I used adhesive remover to get some off to re-do it, and it kind of ate through the plastic. Would paint thinner work better?
use acetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihogan View Post
Mark-96-XJ, quick question man: should I be careful washing my Jeep now with this tint on the lights? Or is it okay? I usually have the hose on jet, and use a soap/wax car wash mix. Just want to make sure it won't damage or chip.
it doesn't come off easily after a few days, i wouldn't worry about washing it at all unless you see it start to fade then maybe go easy on the lights but i haven't had any trouble with chipping

[CENTER][COLOR="Green"]1996 XJ 5 Speed, 100% Herculined, Rough country 4.5, BFG A/T 33's[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]2012 Honda Ruckus, Stock for now, 114 MPG, Daily Rider[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/marks-highschool-build-slow-1068542/"][COLOR="Red"]96' Build[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
Mark-96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #18
Chelsea
The clocks ticking, pops.

1999 XJ Cherokee 

For those of you saying they are too dark and glossy, just give it a few months. Mine were BLACK when I first tinted them, way too dark. They were also super glossy.

But, after a few months, they faded to a nice medium and wound up being matte. This next picture was to compare tire sizes, but you can see how the taillights turned out.

Don't worry about washing them after a few days have passed, they will hold up just fine. It's pretty much just transparent paint.

WANTED:
-Jeep Comanche OEM drip rails
Chelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet, thanks again for the help guys. Even if mine fade to that point I don't think I'll mind all that much!

JCOD - Jeep Cherokee or Die!
Mihogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
Chelsea

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nope, they are about perfect now. Just takes a little time!

WANTED:
Unread 07-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #21
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
Nope, they are about perfect now. Just takes a little time!
Right on! Hey, were your turn signals darker than you'd expected, too?

I keep getting mixed answers - I'm not sure if I should get brighter bulbs or not.

JCOD - Jeep Cherokee or Die!
Mihogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #22
Chelsea

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I actually didn't tint my turn signals, I had the clear ones in.

As for brighter bulbs, I'd leave the stock ones. I honestly think they'll fade quick enough to where the brightness won't be an issue. Mine show through just fine. I don't know about the turn signals, though. I replaced the bulbs with orange ones with the clear lenses.

WANTED:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.