Blacked Out Tail Lights - The Results - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Blacked Out Tail Lights - The Results

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Blacked Out Tail Lights - The Results

Hi guys. Figured I'd post about doing my tail lights tinted myself. Well, they are currently drying, but I can already see some problems that I didn't know about, haha...

First off, dust and debris. Tried to do it as best as I could, but a bunch of gnats, stray hairs and dust got on the lights. Doesn't look all that bad, but just out of curiosity... this won't mess it up all that much will it? I'm hoping whenever I wash the car, the debris will either come out or just stick in there, but not mess it up somehow.

Secondly... a bit of cracking! Especially on the brake light that goes at the top of the hatch. I looked out at it an hour after drying, and it cracked all over. Let some red through. So I re-sprayed it 15 minutes ago, so far so good I suppose.

I also thought that these would come out a matte black, but they're more shiny. Not sure if other peoples' pictures were just mis-leading or if I did it wrong? Haha. Anyway, I took a quick clip of me just propping the lights with the bulbs in them, to make sure they didn't need another coat of the tint. Check it out. I'll post better pics tomorrow when I'm sure they're dry.

Oh, and one more thing... I can wash the lights down just as I would have before when washing the good ol' XJ, right? Don't want to wash it and then rinse, only to find that it's dissolved the tint or something, haha

Here's the pic.

JCOD - Jeep Cherokee or Die!
Mihogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Second try didn't work either... looks like the cracks are in the light itself, and the cracks show up for some reason when tinting it, too. Anybody know what the official name of that third brake light is? I can't find any new online, on ebay or any catalog...

Unread 07-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Anybody out tonight? haha.

Unread 07-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, anyway, here are the results... I think it turned out pretty well, for the most part...

I do have a few worries, though.

For one, is this going to last? I really only did one full coat, to keep the lights as bright as possible while still tinting it black. Am I okay to wash the lights as I normally would washing my car? Automatic car washes?

Also... I knew I'd lose some light output, but my front side markers seem very very dim now, to the point that I think they may be dangerous - especially since I have a brush guard somewhat blocking them as is. Is there anyway I can buy a stronger bulb that wouldn't fry the wiring but would make these markers brighter?

Thanks for the help, guys. Appreciate everything I get on here.

Unread 07-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
BlakeDGKleavitt
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hey. Idk about the cracks try sanding then a clear coat. Plus if u do just the light tint it wont last u need a couple clear coats. I'll post mine up. And what steps did u do.
BlakeDGKleavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
BlakeDGKleavitt
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nvm. Idk how to post pics on my iPad.
BlakeDGKleavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No problem man. But anyway, all i did was clean the lights, lightly sand them and spray a coat on. Everyone else I've talked to said theirs lasted though?

Unread 07-28-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
Mark-96-XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you'll be fine. i did mine once and they faded after a year so i sprayed them with 2 more light coats and they were still dark after another year

[CENTER][COLOR="Green"]1996 XJ 5 Speed, 100% Herculined, Rough country 4.5, BFG A/T 33's[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]2012 Honda Ruckus, Stock for now, 114 MPG, Daily Rider[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/marks-highschool-build-slow-1068542/"][COLOR="Red"]96' Build[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
Mark-96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-96-XJ View Post
you'll be fine. i did mine once and they faded after a year so i sprayed them with 2 more light coats and they were still dark after another year
Ok man, thanks! I wouldn't mind re-doing in a year. Maybe by then I'll just remove it like you did! I used adhesive remover to get some off to re-do it, and it kind of ate through the plastic. Would paint thinner work better?

Unread 07-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #10
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Mark-96-XJ, quick question man: should I be careful washing my Jeep now with this tint on the lights? Or is it okay? I usually have the hose on jet, and use a soap/wax car wash mix. Just want to make sure it won't damage or chip.

Unread 07-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #11
95JeepFactory
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mihogan- is that a Go Rhino brush guard? How much did that run you?
95JeepFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #12
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95JeepFactory View Post
Mihogan- is that a Go Rhino brush guard? How much did that run you?
Nah man, it's a Ram Brush guard. There's a guy that's been selling them brand new on eBay - the brush guard, mounting brackets and all bolts - for like $400 shipped. Here is the link dude.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-J...Q5fAccessories

Unread 07-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #13
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

And the brand is Ram. It's not from a Dodge truck, hahaha

Unread 07-28-2011, 02:30 AM   #14
95XJowner
1997 TJ Wrangler 

kyea i did mine and it looks sweet but WAY TO DARK ill post pics in the morning
95XJowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 02:34 AM   #15
Mihogan
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95XJowner View Post
kyea i did mine and it looks sweet but WAY TO DARK ill post pics in the morning
Ya man, I only did one full coat and it is real dark! Do any of you guys know, is there a way to buy stronger bulbs that won't blow the wiring but will make the turn signals brighter?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.