A bit of pondering on teh AW4 and filtration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > A bit of pondering on teh AW4 and filtration

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

A bit of pondering on teh AW4 and filtration

With the quality and durability of the AW4 riding on a good clean supply of ATF, has anyone ever experimented with adding a filter to the mix? A real filter?

I wonder this because in my little 4 banger car, there is a filter, much like the oil filter (only red) that is for trans fluid.

Now would this be overkill for the AW4? And how would someone add that in? inline with a cooler? Not that I am planning on it, just wanted to spark some ideas.

Unread 02-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've seen mention of them before, and I'm sure that there are companies that make generic add on external filters. But honestly, with the number of AW-4s that have been reported with 200K+, why bother? Heat is what kills these transmissions, not contaminated fluid.

donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
With the quality and durability of the AW4 riding on a good clean supply of ATF, has anyone ever experimented with adding a filter to the mix? A real filter?

I wonder this because in my little 4 banger car, there is a filter, much like the oil filter (only red) that is for trans fluid.

Now would this be overkill for the AW4? And how would someone add that in? inline with a cooler? Not that I am planning on it, just wanted to spark some ideas.
I was going to add a spin-on filter as part of an overhaul on my 87, until the damned City got involved and made me get rid of the truck.

The AW4's internal "filter" is really a metal screen with about a 1/16" mesh, so adding a full-flow element (like the oil filter) wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't recall which line is which, but plumb it into the cooler line going to the cooler, so the fluid gets filtered before it gets cooled (filter feed flow is better in that line.)

Suggest the filter be mounted "pendant style" (open end up,) as this will help with not making a mess when you remove it and you'll be able to pour it full of fluid before mounting the new one (which keeps a half-quart to one-quart "dry spot" out of the system. Yes, I know that a dry run shouldn't happen with fluid being picked up by the sump - but you're going to have to put in extra fluid for the filter anyhow, so just put it in the filter when you change it and you won't have to keep track.)
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I see the City of San Jose hasn't gotten any better since I left there 32 years ago........
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.