If you go 31" and 4" BS you will need to bumpstop to keep the fronts out of the fender and ripping off the flares. There is also a pinch seam to flatten at the back of the wheel well to avoid cutting the tires.
Looks pretty good, don't mind the colour.
You will be very happy with the Duratracs
Like it or not, feedback and perspective is a gift, and I'm a giving person.
While taking it for a test drive around town today to see if I could tell a difference with the new stabilizer on (not a huge difference but definitely a slightly firmer feel to it now) my transmission started acting weird. Everything was fine until I punched it to get around some idiot in a Tahoe that didn't know how to go above 20 in a 45mph zone. When I tried to start off from the next stoplight the Jeep revved up to about 2400rpm and barely started moving, the tranny was slipping really bad. I finally got it up to speed but it was still lacking in get-up-and-go so I pulled over in a Food Lion parking lot and turned it off. I got out and touched the tranny pan and it was very hot, but not any more than normal. Drove it back home with it still refusing to cooperate and discovered that if I changed the shifter from D to 1-2 it would accelerate normal, but it wouldn't downshift like it was supposed to while in D and was constantly trying to start off in 3 or 4. SO- I get it home and let it cool down and wait till the temps outside go down (it is currently 55 degrees) and go for another drive. Now everything is fine and the Jeep is shifting like it should. So I'm assuming I just overheated it slightly and pissed it off. All I know is that tomorrow I'm buying new DexIII/Merc and a new filter, and also adding a nice big tranny cooler to my future shopping list. The guy I bought it from used to tow a lot with it so I'm guessing he burnt out the transmission and put a lot of wear and tear on it. But for now as long as it stays cool it's fine. Grrr I hate mechanical problems
I found a broken vacuum line under the hood next to the battery. It must have gotten pinched at some point when I put the hood prop into its clip. I wrapped some electric tape around it and the weird transmission problem along with my evap major leak problem have been fixed. It still has that misfire occasionally though, so I'm still working on that.
There is a first time for everything.
Drove around to make sure everything was working ok again, and went by the stadium.
Went with Stephen last night for some night wheeling and took a few pictures until it got too dark for anything to show up. Had a blast. The XJ is consistently surprising me, I can officially say it is more capable than my YJ.
The start of the trail, lined up next to Stephen's TJ.
Decided to try a new line over some rocks that I've never done before, made it no problem.
I can also say that the springs have softened up A LOT since putting them on, the XJ rides great and has good road manners. I ordered a rear receiver shackle and a pair of front tow hooks yesterday so I'll have those on sometime next week weather/work permitting. I'll feel a lot better with some good recovery points. Up next I want to finish up the front suspension with a pair of extended sway disconnects and new sway bar bushings. That will take care of a lot of knocking noises from up front, and eventually an adjustable track bar to get rid of the bracket that is on there now.
A few pictures from yesterday. A friend of mine at work had never been off road so I took him down a trail and snapped a few pictures. I have never made it up this hill before and had to get a picture for proof.
I meant it when I said I go wheeling 3 or 4 times a week haha.
I have also decided that I really need some protection on my D30. I slammed the cover into two massive rocks on two different occasions. I don't want the third time to be the time when it punches a hole in it or dents it in. I'm thinking just the Warn cover will be more than enough.