biggn235's XJ Sport build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > biggn235's XJ Sport build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #46
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Well I was planning on getting the big bore steering stabilizer installed today but the sky has opened up and is pouring down rain. Since I don't have a shelter to work in it looks like updates on the XJ will have to stay on hold till the weather clears. Lift kit is still doing great and settling more and more evenly.

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ 05WK
biggn235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #47
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

looks great man! its a real confidence builder to see a rusty jeep like mine with a successful lift install

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #48
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Well I went offroading again today and my fun adventure quickly turned into a nightmare. It went from blue sky and high 70 degree weather to me getting stuck for almost an hour to thunderstorming to hailing and covering the rocky trail with ice. Full story and pics will be up later tonight, I need a shower since I'm covered in mud.

Unread 05-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #49
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

I was bored today and it is my last day off work for awhile so I decided to take a wheeling trip on my own to get away from everyone and everything for awhile. The day started off great-

Small view from the trail

Little more of the trail, weather was still perfect and things were still going great

Driving through some puddles

Very steep drop

More puddles

A tree that I always drive up onto when I run this trail

This was pretty cool, a big tree that had fell over was completely hollow

Came across this as well, it wasn't down there last time, decided to investigate

It's an insect trap put there three days ago

Left it alone and kept moving

This part of the trail was always a problem for my YJ with its short wheelbase, you can't tell from the pictures but the exit of this "ditch" is about a 50-60 degree climb up a muddy wall. The XJ walked right up it... twice

That was the end of the good stuff...

Unread 05-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #50
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so this is when things go downhill, fast. I came upon the same big mud hole that I had tried last time and it was much dryer than it was before. I thought, "The XJ is doing great so far lets see if I can make it through this time." Sounds good right? Wrong.

Coming up on the mud hole from hell.

There is the *****. If you look back through the pics from my last wheeling trip you can see how much dryer it is this time.

Decided to go for it, kept to the high side of the hole, then BAM. I fell off into the ruts and landed perfectly on my axles. The front right and rear left wheels were off the ground, and of course with open diffs, they are the wheels that get all the power.

Damn.

You can see in this picture that I started piling rocks around the floating wheels hoping for some traction. I didn't get any.

FINALLY after walking the wheel back and forth for about an hour and some pedal fineness and a perfectly thrown rock that landed under the front right tire and using the brake pedal while pressing the gas to get the diff to "lock" I freaking made it out of that stupid ***** hole.

It was bad. The Jeep is covered in mud and I was filthy and the interior isn't much better. You can also see my Jeep hubcap is broken on the front right wheel because I accidentally dropped a very large rock on it while trying to find some traction.

While rally driving in an effort to hurry up and get home it started thunderstorming, bad. The hail came soon after, about the size of large marbles.

It turned the muddy parts of the trail into washouts and turned the rocky parts of the trail into ice. Thank God I made it out alright and didn't break anything. As I was getting back onto the pavement and driving through the valley I watched the fog roll in and head right for me.

I eventually made it home. No more sippy holes for me till I get some real tires and have some recovery points/gear as well as another Jeep to pull my sorry-*** out if I get stuck again. Lesson learned.

Unread 05-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #51
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

And what really sucks is that I have to relearn how to offroad. I wouldn't have thought twice about doing any of that stuff in my YJ, it would have just walked through it and not even noticed that there was a mud hole there. But with a longer wheelbase and much smaller tires, I'm going to have to be more careful and approach obstacles differently from now on. *Sigh* Those tires can't come fast enough.

Unread 05-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #52
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice work man!

Get an aussie locker up front, some discos, 31s, v8 zj tie rod, recovery and some skids, and youll have one capable rig!

The aussie i have is the best mod ive ever done.

Good luck!

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #53
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a similar story of undertired solo stuckness with my first jeep.

I'll find the pics if I can - I think they're on the "old" computer.
csb-sw.jpg

Unread 05-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #54
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
Nice work man!

Get an aussie locker up front, some discos, 31s, v8 zj tie rod, recovery and some skids, and youll have one capable rig!

The aussie i have is the best mod ive ever done.

Good luck!
Haha thanks, the things you listed are literally my exact plans for this Jeep. I'd like to get a selectable locker up front though since I do so much snow and ice driving on the highway, the Ected lockers are nice. All in good time!

Unread 05-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #55
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
I have a similar story of undertired solo stuckness with my first jeep.

I'll find the pics if I can - I think they're on the "old" computer.
Post 'em up! I've been stuck in my YJ several times but never this bad. But at the same time I never tried anything like that when my YJ was stock.

The saga continues

Unread 05-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #56
doogie

1996 XJ Cherokee 

It's the lords way of telling you it's time to buy some larger more offroad oriented tires. He sent that storm to smote you for not knowing better than to try that mud hole with those tires.

Seriously though, never attempt a mud hole even a small one out wheeling alone....really ever, mud is a uselss combination of elements, name one good thing that comes from mud. Rocks and trail slime are good enough for me.

My old ZJ build thread
Previous builds 99-XJ, 98-XJ, 89-XJ, 05-TJ, 95-ZJ, 79-J10
doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #57
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie View Post
It's the lords way of telling you it's time to buy some larger more offroad oriented tires. He sent that storm to smote you for not knowing better than to try that mud hole with those tires.

Seriously though, never attempt a mud hole even a small one out wheeling alone....really ever, mud is a uselss combination of elements, name one good thing that comes from mud. Rocks and trail slime are good enough for me.
His message was well received.

It's just that I've done that hole a thousand times and never landed that perfectly high centered on my axles. But- tires are next and I am done with holes like that for now.

Unread 05-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #58
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggn235 View Post
Haha thanks, the things you listed are literally my exact plans for this Jeep. I'd like to get a selectable locker up front though since I do so much snow and ice driving on the highway, the Ected lockers are nice. All in good time!
Honestly, don't waste your money on an ected, I'm in nj, and I drive in the snow and ice all the time with my aussie, I actually like it better than having an open dif.

Don't listen to these goons on jeepforum who say its bad, but never even owned an aussie locker.

Trust me on this, it a great setup.

Unread 05-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #59
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
Honestly, don't waste your money on an ected, I'm in nj, and I drive in the snow and ice all the time with my aussie, I actually like it better than having an open dif.

Don't listen to these goons on jeepforum who say its bad, but never even owned an aussie locker.

Trust me on this, it a great setup.
Hmm I will have to consider it then. I know some people that actually do have one though and they say that if they were to do it again, they would go selectable. We'll see, either way it depends on the money.

Unread 05-27-2011, 07:27 PM   #60
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggn235 View Post
Hmm I will have to consider it then. I know some people that actually do have one though and they say that if they were to do it again, they would go selectable. We'll see, either way it depends on the money.
Waste of money into a 30. IMO.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.