She was suffering from (among other things) a broken tail light, a broken leaf spring, a missing fender flare, a broken oil cap, low fluids, and just general neglect. Not to mention the Jeep was dirty dirty filthy DIRTY.
First thing I did was try to get it looking a little better and make it street legal. I vacuumed and scrubbed the interior. It is MUCH better but still needs some attention in places.
Removed the Mopar bug deflector from the front.
Scratches all along the sides.
Temporary fix of the tail light till my new one from eBay arrived.
This was before the vacuuming and scrubbing.
Removed the ball from the hitch to clean up the rear end a little, also removed the spare from the back because I wanted to get as much weight off of the broken spring as possible.
I had intended to salvage my side trim and try to restore it a little, but it was so far gone that I decided to just rip it off. It was falling off anyway and I barely had to pull to get it to come off.
While I was cleaning it up I took a picture of the inside of the rear driver's side door. I forgot why...
A little while later my new tail light showed up and really helped the overall look of the Jeep.
Went out exploring with my friend Stephen (the friend with the garage) and took a picture while gassing up. Put in $40 worth and only got half a tank. I hate these ridiculous gas prices. You can see his dog, my furry friend Alexis sitting in the drivers seat.
Saw this guy in my apartment complex and became extremely jealous. One day... very soon...
Oh and I forgot to mention, I bought the RC Series II 3" lift kit about two days after owning the Jeep. My YJ was lifted 5" with 33s, so I had to do more than just fix the suspension, I had to upgrade!
Oh happy day
Also ordered a set of Cragar Soft 8s, 15x8 with 4" BS to replace my beat up mismatched wheels. I figured a Jeep with new suspension deserves some new shoes.
I ziptied the broken leaf spring so that it would stop flapping around while I was driving. I could hear it even with the windows up and couldn't stand it anymore.
Backed into Stephen's garage, started lifting the rear!
I got tired of messing around with the sway bar and took an angle grinder to it. It won't be going back in anyway and is currently in the trash.
Stephen cutting the leaf and torching the shackle bolts. HUGE shoutout to him for all the help, I definitely couldn't have done it without him.
Even though I had been soaking the nuts and bolts for days with PB, they were so rusted and corroded that they simply wouldn't come out like they should. We had to get radical with some steps and it took much much longer than it should have to finish the rear, but it is done except for the shocks. I have to get the upper shock bolts out since all 4 broke.
This is a picture of my factory shackles, the shiny part is all that was holding them together, they were unbelievable rusted out.
While messing around with installing the rear springs, the brake line (hardline) literally fell out. It is so rusted. Add that to the list of things to replace.
New line compared to old.
Also found a rust hole behind the passenger side rear bumper cap. I have since cleaned off all the rusted metal and sprayed Rustoleum on the exposed surfaces. I will eventually go back and weld some sheet metal on it since it's covered up by the end cap anyway.
The upper shackle bolts were completely trashed by the time they came out, and the weld nuts inside the body were busted and laying inside the rail. I took the rear bumper off, cut out the access hole, and got a new nut on the end of a new Grade 8 bolt.
The rear is buttoned back up and looks good, but now my exhaust hits the new shackle so I will have to figure something out for that. I want to get a good cat-back anyway because my muffler has a leak and is rusty anyway. So I'll just deal with the rattle for now.
Also bought some Krylon Fusion for the end caps and fender flares. I bought a used flare from a wrecked XJ but it is silver, so I decided to paint all of them black. I also used Rustoleum textured paint for the rockers and lower doors. I sanded everything with 160 then 400 grit and used primer for the doors. I absolutely love the way the textured Rustoleum looks on the door. It is very durable and looks great. I may go back over the end caps and flares with it since I still have so much left over.
Some surface rust that I took care of before painting over it.
And that brings us to today. I haven't made much progress lately because of work and Stephen being out of town, so I've been doing little things.
My front coil spacers came in today too, they are 1". I bought them because I figured it would level the Jeep out since I have 1" lift shackles in the rear.
Also my new bulbs for the center console came in, now I have working lights!
And I bought a new set of acorn bulge lug nuts to replace the crap factory ones. They will look better when they are holding on Soft 8s.
This is a close up of the textured Rustoleum. The pic doesn't do it justice, it looks amazing.
So this is how she sits as of this very second. I took these pictures about an hour ago. I still have to get the new flare on and when Stephen gets back in town we are going to finish the lift. But until then I'm rolling around in a dragster-styled Jeep haha.
Let me know what you think. After the lift is finished and the budget is refreshed, I will be getting a set of 31x10.50x15 Goodyear DuraTracs. I do a lot of highway driving and MTs are useless on ice, so I'll be going with a good set of ATs and DuraTracs are my first choice. After that it will be a SYE to get rid of the TC drop that is on there now as a temporary fix, and then little accessories like a CB and new headunit etc etc.