Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

biggn235's XJ Sport build II

37K views 440 replies 31 participants last post by  biggn235 
#1 ·
Alright guys here it is, I finally started another build. I actually really missed having a thread to update haha. So anyway in case you did not follow my other build I used to have a '99 XJ with a 4.5" lift and 33s with a lot of accessories. Well for several reasons I decided to sell that Jeep, immediately get another, and start over. This Jeep will be more focused towards daily driving than trail riding, and I will do my best to restrain myself from buying a bunch of crap that I don't need haha. That being said this Jeep will still be built up although not quite as big as my last one.

Ok so enough with the typing and history lesson, here is the new Jeep the day I got it home (April 3, 2012) along with some basic specs:

Jeep specs-
'98 XJ Sport
Emerald Green
AW4
NP242
D30/C8.25
155k miles

Just a basic Jeep, and despite the fact that it has spent its entire life in the mountains, there is very little rust and looks fantastic compared to my last XJ. This one has been well taken care of; the leaf springs aren't even sagging.

The only modification inside is a Kenwood CD player with USB/Aux and a full set of Kenwood speakers.

The dude gave me a ton of extra parts and fluids, including the FSM and RM (and a crap Haynes manual), it filled up the entire cargo area.

Not sure if you can see in this picture but he changed out all of the battery wires with heavy duty cables. Apparently it is a kit you can buy off of NAXJA, he gave me the printed information and receipt for it but I can't remember what it is called exactly. Either way that is a good bonus for a Jeep that is going to be used in the cold mountain winter.

See less See more
#263 ·
Went through the carwash to clean off all the salt and ****, then pulled in the shop.

A perfect rocker.

A not-so-perfect rocker.

This is where I got sidetracked, I finally replaced my power steering hose that I blew at Uwharrie six months ago.

Much better.

Started capping my steel. You can also see my new steering stuff that I need to get on.

Got one capped then had to call it quits already. Work in the morning.

Meaty tarrs!

#264 ·
Looks good! That one rocker is junked for sure but that new beef will take care of that just fine. Ill be glad to get a garage built at the new house to start projects like these. Im so bored with bolt-ons!

#266 ·
Yeah it is really nice having a shop to work in, especially when fabricating and welding stuff.

I think the 2x6 is my favorite slider. I was going to get the jcr ultimmate slider... but the more i think about it ... this is the way to go. I like what your thinking... more pics!!!!
Yeah this is the only way to go for me since I barely have a rocker to protect on the driver side it wouldn't make sense to buy sliders from someone. 2x6 rockers are cheaper, more clearance, makes for a stronger unibody, can be used as an air tank for OBA, and it is just as strong as any slider.

#265 ·
I think the 2x6 is my favorite slider. I was going to get the jcr ultimmate slider... but the more i think about it ... this is the way to go. I like what your thinking... more pics!!!!

#275 ·
Im a little hesitant on my '99 just because the rockers are perfect, but at the same time Im tempted because itll give mme solid material to weld to. Had I kept the '98 longer I woulda done this in a heartbeat, rockers were in pretty poir shape on it.

Be sure to post plenty of pics of the finished product. I need more peer pressure haha

#282 ·
Nothing new to report right now. Playing catch up in my classes and working full time. Plus I've been staying at my girlfriend's house a lot and I don't have any way to work on the Jeep there.

#286 ·
Bought some hockey pucks last night to use as front bumpstops. I also bought a pair of weld-on LCA skids for my front axle since I have bent them up pretty bad in the past. I think I'm going to work on my steering tonight too, we'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.