Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

biggn235's XJ Sport build II

37K views 440 replies 31 participants last post by  biggn235 
#1 ·
Alright guys here it is, I finally started another build. I actually really missed having a thread to update haha. So anyway in case you did not follow my other build I used to have a '99 XJ with a 4.5" lift and 33s with a lot of accessories. Well for several reasons I decided to sell that Jeep, immediately get another, and start over. This Jeep will be more focused towards daily driving than trail riding, and I will do my best to restrain myself from buying a bunch of crap that I don't need haha. That being said this Jeep will still be built up although not quite as big as my last one.

Ok so enough with the typing and history lesson, here is the new Jeep the day I got it home (April 3, 2012) along with some basic specs:

Jeep specs-
'98 XJ Sport
Emerald Green
AW4
NP242
D30/C8.25
155k miles

Just a basic Jeep, and despite the fact that it has spent its entire life in the mountains, there is very little rust and looks fantastic compared to my last XJ. This one has been well taken care of; the leaf springs aren't even sagging.

The only modification inside is a Kenwood CD player with USB/Aux and a full set of Kenwood speakers.

The dude gave me a ton of extra parts and fluids, including the FSM and RM (and a crap Haynes manual), it filled up the entire cargo area.

Not sure if you can see in this picture but he changed out all of the battery wires with heavy duty cables. Apparently it is a kit you can buy off of NAXJA, he gave me the printed information and receipt for it but I can't remember what it is called exactly. Either way that is a good bonus for a Jeep that is going to be used in the cold mountain winter.

See less See more
#297 ·
So much salt.

Took the skid plate off and removed the bumper caps.

Relocated the testicle thing.

I think I'm going cut an angle on the bumper corner to make it look better.

PB Blastin the old stuff

Old stuff came off without any trouble.

Looks naked.

New stuff on. Need an alignment now, it is toed in like crazy.

#300 ·
Screwed in the new grease fittings, gave everything a few shots of grease, and set it down on the tires. I also adjusted/tightened my track bar, it should be a lot better now. Getting it aligned tomorrow.

Trimmed the corners of my bumper, I like it.

Once I get it aligned I'm going to relocate the horns and put the front skid back on. I also want to do the cut and fold to my rear quarter panels. They are rusted anyway and don't do any good. And I REALLY need to finish my rockers. After that I will be pretty much set for Uwharrie.

#302 ·
I was squealing tires the entire way to the alignment shop this morning and I couldn't go over 15 since the Jeep was darting around everywhere. But I eventually got there and got everything lined up nice and straight, drives like it should now.

I'm about to bolt the front skid back on and relocate my horns. That is all I'm going to have time for tonight but the only things I have left to do is cut and fold my rear quarters, trim the rear bumper to match the front, weld on my LCA skids, and finish my damn rockers. After that I'll wash everything really good and hit it with some paint.

#309 ·
yeah we are all planning on camping.. I hope to get there early enough to find the campsite I had last time. should be big enough to house all of us for the night. There are a few people Im sure will back but Im planning as if they are going just incase. I plan on heading up there around noon the friday of and leaving sunday.

#312 ·
Put the front skid back on today.

And my new steering stabilizer.

Relocated the horns up out of the way.

Trimmed more of the front fender.

Much more room now, I like it.

And started on my drivers side rocker. Damn that thing was bad.

All cut out, steel going in either tomorrow or Tuesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.