Better, And Redder Build Thread. - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Better, And Redder Build Thread.

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 11-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #301
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
17mm hahhahahhaa. The upper control arm bolt is a 10mm. Go outside and measure it.

When something bends that shouldnt bend, like the caster adjuster, it failed. It failed to retain its shape.

Their design is just unsafe, a 10mm bolt isnt strong enough and neither is their gay caster adjuster. The topic has been beat to death.

A 31 page thread isnt huge arguing over one topic?

Read and learn:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=985234

Do you even understand the load that is on the upper control arms? It is only rotational torque of the axle: aka when you apply the brakes or apply the gas. The lowers are what take most of the load when you go over obstacles. That is why even on the factory setup the uppers are wimpy. There is a reason the lower control arm bolts are 3/4" and the uppers are not. If you don't understand that then you need to take a basic physics class. If you either A) produce enough power to make enough torque to break the bolt or B) hit something hard enough to break it you will have much bigger issues besides a broken upper control arm bolt.

Most of the people who ***** about the setup never took an physics classes and repeat what they hear online. If it really was that unsafe people would be filing lawsuits against IRO for an unsafe product.

Now if you were to say that the one link puts more stress on the upper bushing causing it to fail more quickly I would support you on that.

edit: 2 things

1st: Any suspension part that bolts directly up to an vehicle will make compromises vs something being custom made.

2nd: If IRO didn't replace your adjuster there is probably a reason for that. When I bent my track bar threaded end they over nighted me another one and all I had to do was send them a picture of it.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #302
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_In_Black View Post
eh. I dont really have one. Ive skimmed across threads where this has been an issue.

in my opinion (which is strictly my opinion...) if your going to go to around 6'' and 33s or 35s why not just "over build" it the first time. I haven't dropped a dime into my 35 or 30, simply because I know that they are not the axles that I want to instill my trust in on the trails. The 30 can put forth a good effort with mollys, truss, and 4.88s.

Im swapping in a 44 and 9'' (the 44 isn't better than the 30 blah blah blah)

but why not build axles that can roll with 5.13s and 37s

as far as suspension, why not do a 3 link in the front THE FIRST TIME? everyone eventually wants a 3 link, why not just do it the first time?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Do it right or not at all. I think the problem is that people are more concerned with stuffing the biggest tires they can under it, instead of lifting it properly to suit their needs. Its great if someone is lifted on 35s, but if they don't have the right hardware to support those tires, ****s gonna break. There is no way to cheaply run 33s or 35s. You either buy the strong stuff and pay up front, or buy the cheapo stuff and pay more later when it breaks.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #303
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
Do you even understand the load that is on the upper control arms? It is only rotational torque of the axle: aka when you apply the brakes or apply the gas. The lowers are what take most of the load when you go over obstacles. That is why even on the factory setup the uppers are wimpy. There is a reason the lower control arm bolts are 3/4" and the uppers are not. If you don't understand that then you need to take a basic physics class. If you either A) produce enough power to make enough torque to break the bolt or B) hit something hard enough to break it you will have much bigger issues besides a broken upper control arm bolt.

Most of the people who ***** about the setup never took an physics classes and repeat what they hear online. If it really was that unsafe people would be filing lawsuits against IRO for an unsafe product.

Now if you were to say that the one link puts more stress on the upper bushing causing it to fail more quickly I would support you on that.

edit: 2 things

1st: Any suspension part that bolts directly up to an vehicle will make compromises vs something being custom made.

2nd: If IRO didn't replace your adjuster there is probably a reason for that. When I bent my track bar threaded end they over nighted me another one and all I had to do was send them a picture of it.
Dude, you need to stop defending a sub par product, one 10mm upper control arm bolt definately isnt enough. Ericsxj has broken upper control arm bolts even with a 4 link y link suspension. So obviously it can be done. And i bent the caster adjuster. There is ALOT of rotational force on that upper mount. Hence why upper control arm bolts break and why caster adjusters bend. It is a stupid design.

I like how you admit the upper control arm bolts are wimpy yet you continue to defend that one is enough.

At the end of the day it is IMO the WORST bolt on long arm kit you can buy for the XJ. It is incredibly weak, poorly designed, the product isnt backed up the manufacture.

I guess its strong enough for splashin through mud puddles with the good ol' boys, but theres no way its even remotely strong enough for rock crawling.

This is the last thing im going to be saying in the OPs thread, if you want to discuss it more feel free to PM me

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #304
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
I like how you admit the upper control arm bolts are wimpy yet you continue to defend that one is enough.
I said the factory bolts are wimpy and there is a reason for that, a 3/4" bolt is not needed. If you are going to go hardcore rock crawling I hope you won't be using a bolt in kit.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #305
krabby124
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So back on topic where's this mint condition xj????????????

Sent from my Droid using JeepForum

YJ Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/95-high-school-yj-build-1411192/
krabby124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #306
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabby124 View Post

x2 this thread sucks.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #307
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
x2 this thread sucks.
what shall we do with spokes?

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #308
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durt_Diver View Post
what shall we do with spokes?
I've demoted him to noob status. anyone who complains about the ride of a lifted jeep is automatically demoted to noob.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #309
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've demoted him to noob status. anyone who complains about the ride of ANY jeep is automatically demoted to noob.
fixed that for ya

Unread 11-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #310
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

if youre complaining about ride, noise, mpgs, leaks, rattles, dents, or scratches do us all a favor and sell your jeep and buy a prius

Unread 11-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #311
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

LMAO, but seriously about the tire sizes, that is so correct, you cant run 33's or 35's cheap

I ran 33's on stock axles, locked the front, then snapped a shaft, then ran chromoly's, front holds up fine now, now both pinion bearings are shot, so i swapped a dana 44 rear in, now both axles are in the shop getting rebuilt so the front pinion is good again and setting 456 gears while its there to gain back the power lost by the tires

So yea, your not going to run 33's or 35's comfortably, or offroad at all without putting money in

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #312
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
x2 this thread sucks.
than why do u keep reading/posting in it? u really need to get a life, **** off dude. if u dont like something dont keep reading/posting in it. Ive yet to see any pics of your jeeps being actually wheeled.

Quote:
I've demoted him to noob status. anyone who complains about the ride of a lifted jeep is automatically demoted to noob.
yeha im a noob, that is y u "started to build your jeep" after seeing my other other. im allowed to ***** about how my jeep is going to ride. i dont half *** stuff, and when i installed the half assed lift i was pissed. as i said above **** off. if u dont have anything nice to say dont say it. ive been on here for 3 years, never put anyone down, said anything negative about anyones jeeps. but u and dirt dirver have been really pissing me off, i mean DD bough me a memebership cause of how i acted on this forum. im tired of hearing negative stuff about how my thread sucks and this and that and how i dont like how the lift rides, but tough ****. its called a forum for a reason, everyone can post their thoughts and opions on it. no one hsa a gun to your head to read my build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabby124 View Post

i heard through the grape vine the guy got sick, so im gonna just give it time and see what happens. good things come to those who wait.

as for the lift issue with RC, i called today just to get some questions and make sure i got the correct parts... well i get some dude who sounded pissed at the world... he told me "i probably measured wrong" and "didnt know what i was talking about" and that a XJ will sag 2-3" no matter what. i told him i looked up the factory ride height specs and it was still 6-7" over that. he said they were probably wrong. sooo i told him i was simply calling to get some info and due to his reaction and additude i wanted my money back, his reply was to tell me their address.

so i had to go cause of work, so after work i called back and asked to speak with a manager, but i couldnt get one, the wait was to long. blah blah, so i ended up speaking with some from here on JF (not gonna mention their name) but he was very nice and helpful and i told him the ordeal with the other "dickhead" and im going to uninstall the lift tomorrow and send it back and put my jeep back to factory height for now.

its a shame that one person can ruin a company name like that, but after that phone call i doubt ill use anything RC again... its sad to say but that was just piss poor support.

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #313
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Go with Clayton! You will pay more but it will be worth it. I'm still reading ur threads man. Good lick hope it works out.

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #314
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
im going to uninstall the lift tomorrow and send it back and put my jeep back to factory height for now.

its a shame that one person can ruin a company name like that, but after that phone call i doubt ill use anything RC again... its sad to say but that was just piss poor support.
Wow that just plain sucks. I have had nothing but stellar service from RC, I guess it is not from the dude you spoke to. It really is too bad when people put on their poopy-pants face and drop attitude all over their customers. One bad customer experience can lead to a bad reputation with a lot of people.

Sucks all the same. At least they are refunding your money.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #315
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Your choice is your choice, if you were unhappy, theres no since in keeping it when it can be returned

My suggestion is bilstien 5150 shocks and longarms on your next lift, that will give you the best ride quality.

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.