Better, And Redder Build Thread. - Page 136 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Better, And Redder Build Thread.

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #2026
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You guys are welcome to come! Hopefully by than I'll have my rear shackle s working properly lol

Today went to put in the new rad... After fighting with the trans line being seized in the clip I got it off... Only to discover the rad Napa gave me the trans line connector is about 1/8" to thick? Wtf!

Red 00 XJ lifted
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #2027
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokes
you guys are welcome to come! Hopefully by than i'll have my rear shackle s working properly lol

today went to put in the new rad... After fighting with the trans line being seized in the clip i got it off... Only to discover the rad napa gave me the trans line connector is about 1/8" to thick? Wtf!
kill them all!?!
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #2028
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Better thing woul dhave been upgrade the lines for higher flow....
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #2029
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
Better thing woul dhave been upgrade the lines for higher flow....
Eh the aw4 is a solid trans. With a cooler I'm not worried about it one bit.

Red 00 XJ lifted
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Unread 08-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #2030
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I should have the jeep at home in a few weeks, I'll def let you know that I'm going

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #2031
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egodfrey View Post
I should have the jeep at home in a few weeks, I'll def let you know that I'm going
awesome def keep me posted.

I pulled the rear diff cover tonight to change the fluid in the rear and see if i could figure out why its making a noise... pretty sure the gears were/are too tight. the pinion is discolored and look how they half *** shaved the gears... ****ing pissed!!!

pinion is discolored

Red 00 XJ lifted
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Unread 09-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #2032
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did you break it in properly?

Put some
Paint on that and rotate, I would love to see that contact pattern.

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #2033
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egodfrey View Post
Did you break it in properly?

Put some
Paint on that and rotate, I would love to see that contact pattern.
They did not tell me how they would recommend i break them in. I did drive them about 15 min at varying speeds. It sat for about 3 hrs than drove it about the same distance and than it sat over night.

Im not gonna paint em cause ive already wasted like $60 on freaking diff fluid over this ordeal.

This is the last message i have coming from the owner of A to Z fab.

"We installed what you had to the correct specs. If you supplied a bad set of bearings or a bad set of gears, and Motive is notorious for this, there is nothing we can do. Our most recent set of bad 8.25 gears were Motive and I will not purchase them again for a customer. I apologize, but that is the honest truth. The slight grinding of the tooth to get the stock crosspin installed does not create an issue and is extremely common. Please let me know whom to speak with that has installed 4.56 gears in an 8.25 c-clip axle so I can find their secret. If they are grinding the pin they are mentally challenged as that can indeed cause issues.
-- Zach Vaughn.
AtoZ Fabrication, Inc.
570-385-3931 "

Red 00 XJ lifted
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:00 PM   #2034
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is the whole convo as of now.

Zach,
I pulled the rear diff cover off tonight to change the fluid and to inspect the gears... honestly what with what I see I would like my money back and be reimburse for the gears. The rear pinion has blue coloring all over it. And the guy shaved WAY to much off of my ring gear to clear the pin. I would much rather bought another carrier than have 2 half gears. Im sorry to be a pain but this is just unacceptable. I am still getting a pretty noticeable humming noise while driving and it is only getting worse.

- Jordan

Jordan, I am sorry that you are not happy with the install, but since we did not supply the parts and the gear pattern and specs were checked twice there is nothing more that we can do. The gears and bearings that you supplied were installed to the manufacturers instructions, including the grinding to fit the carrier pin. Unfortunately, it seems that some manufacturers have issues with their 8.25 gears and/or install parts. We have had humming issues with two sets over the years. On both of those cases we had to return the gears/install kits and have them replaced under warranty. Without us supplying the gears and install kits the best we can do is to install what was provided to the best of our abilities.
P.S. Please inform me whom Maggie Platko is so that I know with whom I am communicating with.
Thanks.
-- Zach Vaughn.

Zach,
I just read through motives gear install process and there isn't a single thing about grinding the gears? I have also spoke with multiple people who do gear installs and none of them said they would EVER grind the gears. They would simply get a new carrier. I did not know that a new carrier would be needed and I much rather would have had you call me and tell me there is an issue with clearance before you go and grind away.
This is also why I took it to you, a shop so it would be done right. Not have it be an issue like it is now.

We installed what you had to the correct specs. If you supplied a bad set of bearings or a bad set of gears, and Motive is notorious for this, there is nothing we can do. Our most recent set of bad 8.25 gears were Motive and I will not purchase them again for a customer. I apologize, but that is the honest truth. The slight grinding of the tooth to get the stock crosspin installed does not create an issue and is extremely common. Please let me know whom to speak with that has installed 4.56 gears in an 8.25 c-clip axle so I can find their secret. If they are grinding the pin they are mentally challenged as that can indeed cause issues.
-- Zach Vaughn.

My plans for now is to get an 8.8 under is ASAP. i wont have the coin to regear it right away so ill have to run 3.55 or 4.10 for a while and ovbisouly no 4x4 til the axle is regeared. hopefully i can do it before winter! The axle is getting worse and I just had to retire the limabean from the road So now red is my DD again and i have a ****ed up axle under it. I would really like some input on what you guys think i should do? Sue??? I mean in total with material, labor, and misc parts i am around $1500 into the gears. $600 to buy them, $600 to install, Fluids, RTV, Etc. I mean this isnt some cheap ordeal. I really am frustrated over all of it and it simply sucks.

The other issue that worries me is that the front probably is off too. granted the front doesnt get the stress of the back it still has me concerned.

thought and input are appreciated.

Red 00 XJ lifted
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #2035
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I know one of the two needs a new carrier at 4.56. I thought it was the 30 but idk. Did you have a new carrier for either?

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #2036
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Suing might cost more than the hassle is worth. A to Z will fall back to the fact that you supplied the gears and say it was the reason for failure. SInce the bean is off the road...what axle does that have? Maybe swap that under Red for the time being. You know its a good axle and will bolt right up in a matter of a few hours. Bean is gonna be built bigger so no need to keep its rear axle under it. Toss Red's axle under Bean so it can still roll around
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #2037
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
I know one of the two needs a new carrier at 4.56. I thought it was the 30 but idk. Did you have a new carrier for either?
I put a carrier in the front, yes. The rear i did not realized needed one until now, but still that doesn't justify him to grind the gears.

Just finished giving it a bath so at least it looks good on DD duty lol

Red 00 XJ lifted
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #2038
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Suing might cost more than the hassle is worth. A to Z will fall back to the fact that you supplied the gears and say it was the reason for failure. SInce the bean is off the road...what axle does that have? Maybe swap that under Red for the time being. You know its a good axle and will bolt right up in a matter of a few hours. Bean is gonna be built bigger so no need to keep its rear axle under it. Toss Red's axle under Bean so it can still roll around
a dana 35 with 3.73

Like i said ill keep my eyes open and find an 8.8 ASAP and just get perches welded on run it til i can afford a gear swap.

Red 00 XJ lifted
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #2039
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just run the d35 w/ 3.73 until you get the 8.8 built
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #2040
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Just run the d35 w/ 3.73 until you get the 8.8 built
Im gonna run the 8.25 til i get the 8.8. i only have an 8 mile commute to work so it better make it lol

Red 00 XJ lifted
Blue 00 XJ Hella stock
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 5spd
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.