Better Leaf Setup? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Better Leaf Setup?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Reply
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
Cherokeekid88
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: High Point, North Carolina
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
Im running 4.5" RC leaf packs, .5" block, JKS boomerang shackle and RC relocation brackets with Skyjacker M95s, sit about ~6" of lift (shackle is moved up for greater angle and less lift added) and love the ride. Granted with you wanting to keep it 4.5" of lift you would be better off running a 2.5" leaf pack with my same set up and get about the same amount of lift. plus with with the flatter spring it would ride a lot better. The RC shackle boxes work great I had to trim mine for more shackle swing but other then that they are not bad for the price. Just remember, semi flat spring, 45* shackle angle and good shocks will give the best ride and great flex.
Thinking about the FST low pro's....will have to get someone to cut them off for me since I have no cutting tools or a place to do it at. But I am thinking about if I just go with the RC ones, if I can flatten out the springs more to get a better shackle angle...wouldn't that decrease the lift I would be getting?

__________________
97 XJ 4.0 Auto D30/29 Sp. 8.25. Yukon 4.10's
4.5" IRO Long Arm Kit - 33x12.50x15's
HD Offroad Engineering Shackle Relocation Brackets
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #17
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taylors, South Carolina
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeekid88 View Post
Thinking about the FST low pro's....will have to get someone to cut them off for me since I have no cutting tools or a place to do it at. But I am thinking about if I just go with the RC ones, if I can flatten out the springs more to get a better shackle angle...wouldn't that decrease the lift I would be getting?
not necessarily. Cause the shackle boxes and longer shackle will add some lift.. the RC boxes are said to net 1-1.5" and a long shackle moved up a hole would probably add a fraction. So what you would loose in flattening your leaves would be gained in the boxes
__________________
'01 XJ, HP44, D60, 106" WB & 35s
COTM July 2012
Build Thread

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
Cherokeekid88
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: High Point, North Carolina
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93

not necessarily. Cause the shackle boxes and longer shackle will add some lift.. the RC boxes are said to net 1-1.5" and a long shackle moved up a hole would probably add a fraction. So what you would loose in flattening your leaves would be gained in the boxes
Is the netting of 1-1.5 gain, from using a stock shackle or just 1-1.5" over your current setup? I really like the idea of complete bolt on, but just want to get away from adding anything over 1" of lift.
__________________
97 XJ 4.0 Auto D30/29 Sp. 8.25. Yukon 4.10's
4.5" IRO Long Arm Kit - 33x12.50x15's
HD Offroad Engineering Shackle Relocation Brackets
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #19
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taylors, South Carolina
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeekid88 View Post
Is the netting of 1-1.5 gain, from using a stock shackle or just 1-1.5" over your current setup? I really like the idea of complete bolt on, but just want to get away from adding anything over 1" of lift.
it would net about 1-1.5" with stock shackles in the center hole.. Atleast thats would I got when I did it with stock shackles. Now when I put my longer shackle on I moved it up a hole which raised the ride hight .25-.5". I mainly did this for a better angle and more travel and tried not to lift it anymore. Installing the relocators with stock shackles IMO only lifts the Jeep and doesnt really affect the angle, if so its not really enough to make a difference.

With stock shackle:


With boomerang (1") shackle and trimmed. My leafs have settled out a little more since I installed these shackles so the angle is better, right where it should be. and yes I know my cuts suck but I was in a hurry and was planning on redoing it and welding the boxes in later.
__________________
'01 XJ, HP44, D60, 106" WB & 35s
COTM July 2012
Build Thread

OffroadSC

Last edited by Rockdrummer93; 03-11-2013 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Added Pictures
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #20
Cherokeekid88
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: High Point, North Carolina
Posts: 1,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
it would net about 1-1.5" with stock shackles in the center hole.. Atleast thats would I got when I did it with stock shackles. Now when I put my longer shackle on I moved it up a hole which raised the ride hight .25-.5". I mainly did this for a better angle and more travel and tried not to lift it anymore. Installing the relocators with stock shackles IMO only lifts the Jeep and doesnt really affect the angle, if so its not really enough to make a difference.

With stock shackle:


With boomerang (1") shackle and trimmed. My leafs have settled out a little more since I installed these shackles so the angle is better, right where it should be. and yes I know my cuts suck but I was in a hurry and was planning on redoing it and welding the boxes in later.
Awesome! that is what I want to hear. I have a 1" shackle, so if I move it up a hole from the center, it should minimize the lift that occurs and give me that shackle angle I need right? Im getting ready to pull the trigger on some HD offraod V2's
__________________
97 XJ 4.0 Auto D30/29 Sp. 8.25. Yukon 4.10's
4.5" IRO Long Arm Kit - 33x12.50x15's
HD Offroad Engineering Shackle Relocation Brackets
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #21
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Taylors, South Carolina
Posts: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeekid88 View Post
Awesome! that is what I want to hear. I have a 1" shackle, so if I move it up a hole from the center, it should minimize the lift that occurs and give me that shackle angle I need right? Im getting ready to pull the trigger on some HD offraod V2's
This is correct, though your not going to get away from gaining a little bit of lift. What I would do is install them and go from there. measure before and after and if you like the way it sits add in the front if not buy a smaller leaf springs. OR go bomb over some speed bumps to flatten your leaf springs out a little more
__________________
'01 XJ, HP44, D60, 106" WB & 35s
COTM July 2012
Build Thread

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
Camfam07
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 851
do those shackle relocation boxes... bolt on? do you cut off the original mount and then weld these re-locations on? just curious.
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #23
DriverX
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 190
FST and HD both make a bolt on relocation box. As does RC. But FST and HD both make a low profile relocation box that involves cutting the old one out and bolting the new one in, no welding. It's pretty simple to do and does not add any lift. A local member has the FST low pro boxes and 2" shackle. He didn't gain any lift but improved the angle which gave it a better ride and flex. He also did the cut and fold rear quarter, so a relocation box that added lift would be noticeable under there.
DriverX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
Cherokeekid88
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: High Point, North Carolina
Posts: 1,935
I ordered the HD offroad V2 shackle relocation boxes on Saturday along with some BPE's for the rear...should be here this week...so we'll see.
__________________
97 XJ 4.0 Auto D30/29 Sp. 8.25. Yukon 4.10's
4.5" IRO Long Arm Kit - 33x12.50x15's
HD Offroad Engineering Shackle Relocation Brackets
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #25
ZeroGravity
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,931
I would also recommend getting greasable bolts with poly bushings. You can get them for both the shackle bolts and spring-frame eye bolt.
__________________
91 YJ
98 XJ
2 door love
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.