Which is a better combo? 37's/hp44.ff60 or 35's hp30.8.25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Which is a better combo? 37's/hp44.ff60 or 35's hp30.8.25

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 01-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Which is a better combo? 37's/hp44.ff60 or 35's hp30.8.25

What would you run? Which would be cheaper? Which combo is suited for each terrain? Just an open discussion on these axle and tire combos. Assume stock drivetrain besides axles. Have at it.

[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

37s 44 and 60.... are you kidding me?

I'm swapping in an hp 44 with a 9'' right now, and would never even consider building a 30, or 8.25.

not to mention the 30 and 8.25 can only handle 35's with lockers at the max, why limit yourself? Then you just have to start all over and do it again if you ever decide to go bigger. I'm planning on running 37s now, but have the option to go bigger if I feel the need.

I know at least 100 people are going to chime in on this thread saying they run 36's on stock gearing with the 30 and 8.25, and that you never need to go bigger than 5'' of lift and 35's to be the most capable jeep on Gods green earth, but lets just be honest with ourselves and admit thats wrong.....very wrong.

sure the 30 and 8.25 are completely reliable axles, that are a great platform to build on for the jeeper that knows they will never go over 35s, but for people like me, I wanted options for the future.

just my .02

let the flaming begin.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well what is your projected price on the swap? For jeepers cheaper is always better right?
[QUOTE=Driver831;13076990]Say what you want, a Dana 30 held up 53"s for a good while[/QUOTE]

My 3" to 4.5" to full width build-> [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/brookhart63-build-thread-1224726/[/url]
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhart63 View Post
Well what is your projected price on the swap? For jeepers cheaper is always better right?
this is true.

building your current axles will be much cheaper, but at the same time you limit yourself.

since I got a deal on my 44, It looks like I will slide in at 1500 bucks per axle if I don't run into other problems.

not to mention 37's are expensive as ****.

Im going 37x14.5x15 creepy crawlers, and MT classic locks.

nearly 2 grand for that combo alone.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

This is someone from our club running 36" swampers on a mildly built d30 and ford 8.8.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Keeping the 30 and the 8.25 is MUCH cheaper, and they can run 35s, if you have the money, the tools, the ability to have your cherokee sit on jackstands for months, and the know how. Do the 44/60. or even better yet, if you wanna build something even sweeter, you can get axles out of a CUCV, pas. drop dana 60, and a 14b both stock with 4.56 gears, and the rear has a detroit locker, and then run a flipped 4:1 dana 300 transfer case.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_In_Black
37s 44 and 60.... are you kidding me?

I'm swapping in an hp 44 with a 9'' right now, and would never even consider building a 30, or 8.25.

not to mention the 30 and 8.25 can only handle 35's with lockers at the max, why limit yourself? Then you just have to start all over and do it again if you ever decide to go bigger. I'm planning on running 37s now, but have the option to go bigger if I feel the need.

I know at least 100 people are going to chime in on this thread saying they run 36's on stock gearing with the 30 and 8.25, and that you never need to go bigger than 5'' of lift and 35's to be the most capable jeep on Gods green earth, but lets just be honest with ourselves and admit thats wrong.....very wrong.

sure the 30 and 8.25 are completely reliable axles, that are a great platform to build on for the jeeper that knows they will never go over 35s, but for people like me, I wanted options for the future.

just my .02

let the flaming begin.

But you're limited now by your front. You can't go much bigger than 37's because of ujoint size and whatnot. So I think in order to truly not limit yourself, as you are claiming you are not, one would need to run tons at the least. Make a steering 14b front and run a Dana 80 and call it a day if you truly dont want to limit yourself. Or just build rockwells. I think building the 30 and 8.25 or 44 for 35's is perfectly fine. But if you want to go bigger, go straight to tons and don't even mess with anything less than a D60. That's my input on the matter

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You think a guy could build a 30 and 8.25 with alloys and full case lockers, beat on it with. 35's and be fine? Lets just say 37's are the Max size for the 44/60. What would be prices for each choice? I got 3700 to build the stock ones up.

Unread 01-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookhart63
You think a guy could build a 30 and 8.25 with alloys and full case lockers, beat on it with. 35's and be fine? Lets just say 37's are the Max size for the 44/60. What would be prices for each choice? I got 3700 to build the stock ones up.
I think you could. Truss both. Strong diff covers. And like you said, full case lockers and alloys with good ujoints up front. Cal over on NAXJA had a 30 up front and 35's and would run the hammers with that combo. Says he never broke anything. But if there is any chance you will go beyond 35's, just do an axle swap.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

it really depends on how and what you drive/wheel

If your going out on the rocks and don't give a **** about anything while trying to get up the rocks, plan to trailer it and drop a **** ton of cash into your axles, or tailer the jeep everywhere... build full widths

Hp30 and 8.25 will handle up to 35s after gearing, and depending on how/what you want to build it to. It will still remain pretty streetable also IMO

I run a hp30 and a ford 8.8 on 35's and I'm happy with it right now. I DD my jeep and wheel local pretty often, so widths don't make much sense in my case. 8.8 is getting a detroit locker soon, and both axles will be getting trussed and braced in certain spots for prerunning reasons. Ill never lock my h30. Everything is to small for me to trust dumping the money into or leave me stranded. I don't think my setup will change much, I may swap in a wagyy 44 if I find one before I brace my 30 the way I want to though

35s will get almost everyone (with xjs that is) where they want to go without breaking the bank to bad. Everyone else is just overcompensating for other things IMO
lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
But you're limited now by your front. You can't go much bigger than 37's because of ujoint size and whatnot. So I think in order to truly not limit yourself, as you are claiming you are not, one would need to run tons at the least. Make a steering 14b front and run a Dana 80 and call it a day if you truly dont want to limit yourself. Or just build rockwells. I think building the 30 and 8.25 or 44 for 35's is perfectly fine. But if you want to go bigger, go straight to tons and don't even mess with anything less than a D60. That's my input on the matter
true, didn't think of that, although I have seen bigger tires on chromo'd 250 44s. but Im not saying its right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
it really depends on how and what you drive/wheel

If your going out on the rocks and don't give a **** about anything while trying to get up the rocks, plan to trailer it and drop a **** ton of cash into your axles, or tailer the jeep everywhere... build full widths

Hp30 and 8.25 will handle up to 35s after gearing, and depending on how/what you want to build it to. It will still remain pretty streetable also IMO

I run a hp30 and a ford 8.8 on 35's and I'm happy with it right now. I DD my jeep and wheel local pretty often, so widths don't make much sense in my case. 8.8 is getting a detroit locker soon, and both axles will be getting trussed and braced in certain spots for prerunning reasons. Ill never lock my h30. Everything is to small for me to trust dumping the money into or leave me stranded. I don't think my setup will change much, I may swap in a wagyy 44 if I find one before I brace my 30 the way I want to though

35s will get almost everyone (with xjs that is) where they want to go without breaking the bank to bad. Everyone else is just overcompensating for other things IMO
35s will get you most anywhere, but I do like the look of an XJ on 37s, annnd I have the budget for an XJ on 37's...."compensating" has nothing to do with it.

Unread 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_In_Black View Post
true, didn't think of that, although I have seen bigger tires on chromo'd 250 44s. but Im not saying its right.

35s will get you most anywhere, but I do like the look of an XJ on 37s, annnd I have the budget for an XJ on 37's...."compensating" has nothing to do with it.
i pray you know that was a joke.
lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
This is someone from our club running 36" swampers on a mildly built d30 and ford 8.8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrr9KlQQE8g
to be fair though....stan likes to break stuff in that 30...lol

but the 8.8 survives just fine.
"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

and 35's on built stock axles will be fine for most.

BUT, if you really wanna have some fun and be able to just lay into the throttle over some rough terrain and not have to worry about if you're going to break something....then bigger is always better.
"You're what's wrong with America. You don't drink enough PBR and you probably run sway bars on the street. Fawking communist."-ibjeepin95
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
Brookhart63
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
and 35's on built stock axles will be fine for most.

BUT, if you really wanna have some fun and be able to just lay into the throttle over some rough terrain and not have to worry about if you're going to break something....then bigger is always better.
I'm the throttle down type. If I'm going to truss the stock axles and do a 3 link wouldn't it be the same about of work as a swap?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.