Best XJ Roof Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Best XJ Roof Rack

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
407XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Best XJ Roof Rack

Hey everybody,
I've a 97 Cherokee and one of the next things I want to add to it is a roof rack but I was looking to get some opinions first. I have looked up old threads but can't seem to find much. I have some preferences that I would like and want to see if anyone has some ideas. I want it to be durable, American made, able to carry a tire, optional places to attach lights, and be able to carry two kayaks. I want it to be cost effective but if the rack is worth it I'm willing to pay more and I would prefer it to be on the lighter end of the spectrum but would rather have the options I want than be light.
Thanks in advance for the help,
Zac

Unread 06-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
407XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

One rack that I have found appealing is the Warrior Safari Sport Rack which seems, to me, to have most or all of the attributes I stated above. It is easily removable and says it is meant to hold kayaks and canoes. I know Warrior is an American company but I haven't found anything that says their products are made in America. If anybody has any experience with this rack or just some knowledge of it please feel free to chime in.
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

You'll have to at least take a look at these. JCR Offroading Protyping Crusader Roof Rack

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Congratulations Rockdrummer93 as the November COTM!!!
The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway was here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
407XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I really like the idea, especially the overhead light bar to protect the actual lights. It just doesn't seem to me like they executed on what was a great idea. The sloping sides would make it hard to hold a kayak. Plus they don't even have any idea for a price range??? Thanks for the suggestion and I'm going to follow that thread but I see work that needs to be done before it finished.
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
LightningFAST
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'd go with something slim like an LED lightbar if you're loading and unloading kayaks, and the slimmer nature/profile of the lightbar anyway. They are expensive though. I have a SURCO unit, they make attachments for a solid floor conversion, spare tire mount, hi-jack/shovel attachments. I'm not sure about a lightbar attachment but fabrication is in a lot of Jeep owners' blood.

I like the look of my unit, it's large, and it's extremely strong.
LightningFAST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
407XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, that thing looks sweet and is exactly what I was looking for. I don't mind looking it up but do you know if Surco products are made in the USA? And yeah I've done my fair share of fabrication/destruction to my jeep already hahaha; I'm almost done with a hummer snorkel right now. I'll post some pics in the next day or two.
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
407XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Great looking rig by the way, Lightning.
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
pat_ton69
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Warrior Products rack that I carry a 17' canoe on and it works really well.
It was easy to install and is solid.
pat_ton69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
407XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Do you had the regular or the sport version that has the quick release pins?
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
LightningFAST
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407XJ
Wow, that thing looks sweet and is exactly what I was looking for. I don't mind looking it up but do you know if Surco products are made in the USA? And yeah I've done my fair share of fabrication/destruction to my jeep already hahaha; I'm almost done with a hummer snorkel right now. I'll post some pics in the next day or two.
I believe they are made in the USA. The rack says Los Angeles, CA on it and their website claims American made since either 1961 or 1962 if I remember correctly. Thanks for the compliment too!
LightningFAST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #11
407XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningFAST

I believe they are made in the USA. The rack says Los Angeles, CA on it and their website claims American made since either 1961 or 1962 if I remember correctly. Thanks for the compliment too!
Hey that sounds good enough for me, we might have a winner!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.