Before/After - Painting The Plastics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Before/After - Painting The Plastics

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
andbeforedrew
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Before/After - Painting The Plastics

I've been an XJ enthusiast for a little over a few years now and I picked up my second Cherokee just three months ago. Overall, it was in amazing shape but the plastics were faded as ever. Decided to start blacking this Jeep out beginning with all the exterior plastics and emblems.

I used RUST-OLEUM Truck Bed Coating I grabbed at Home Depot for $8 a can. Applied three coats on each piece and let dry for about a day before tossing them back on. Kept the door pieces off. Looked pretty sharp without them. Here's some before and after photos.

Much more work to come on this vehicle.

andbeforedrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

It's amazing how much difference it makes. Some of the guys at work gave me **** when I spray painted mine on my Dakota but I don't care. It's worth it. Even if it starts coming off in 6 months, a year, a few years, who cares? It vastly improves how it looks.

Sorry I don't have better pics, but:

Before:

After:

Painted the grill and bezels on my XJ this past weekend as well and it's a massive improvement in looks imo. I was going to do the fenders as well but I'm going to be replacing them soon anyway so I didn't bother. I'd put up pics but I'm too lazy to walk across the parking lot to take current pics lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
andbeforedrew
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, not a bad job there. It's crazy how much cleaner and kept that Dakota looks after a quick spray job!
andbeforedrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Well the top picture the blue paint is fresh too. It was a navy blue originally, before I painted it it was more rust, peeling clear coat, and some really awful navy mixed in, but yeah, the plastic and bumpers getting painted made it look even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , jeep , paint , plastic , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.