Bed liner vs vinyl flooring? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Bed liner vs vinyl flooring?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #16
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

In my previous life I was a tinknocker (sheetmetal mechanic) by trade, I grew impartial to tekscrews and had easy access to much sheetmetal.

By time I figured out my junk had a leaky doorseal it had been detrimental to the floor and the rust had it's way w/it. This was 3 years ago I patched it the best way I could, a layer of 18 ga Stainless sheet on the ext. surface with the floor sandwiched between some epoxy and 20 ga galvanized for the int. surface, a whole helping of tekscrews.

While tackling my rusting rockers (see below) I discovered rust developing beyond the floor patch. So I took care of one issue at a time with the rockers being first.

With winter approaching it was time to do the floor. Over 2 months the rust had developed into a 3-4" hole. With the majority of the hole being under the seat rail. Once I removed the rest of the carpet, that I hadn't removed when I did the first patch job, I found the existing carpet had wicked water and developed superficial rust on the whole driverside of the XJ.

I posed a question on another forum as to which Im a member as to how they're dampening mat acts on the ext. surface and people responded w/positive findings I decided to give it a shot. Around the same time Second Skin, http://secondskinaudio.com/ , just had released a new product with a total thickness of 60 mils, with 10 mils being sheet and the rest being self adhering butyl rubber. At about a 1/3 thicker aluminum sheet layer than Damplifier, I figured it was about as ideal as what I could for what I was looking to do.

Once receiving the Alpha Damp I went about to installing it. If I wanted the mat to stick a fairly clean surface is needed, so I figured now would be a good time to paint/treat the surface woth some rust treatment type of paint.

ss sheet underneath

So once that dried I placed the Alpha Damp at my feet. I once again sandwiched the floor w/a layer on the int. and another on the ext.. On the ext. I overlapped the Alpha about 6" unto the next piece to assure sufficient coverage. On the int. I patched the swiss cheese area and the parts of the floor that would see more traffic w/the thicker mat and Reqular damp everywhere else on the floor.

I don't have any pics of underneath but once I get some drier wheather, or a couple free hours, I have 3/4 of the supplied material of U-pol Raptor that I used to do my rockers with, I'm going to spray underneath covering the Alpha Damp and hopefully protect it from the dang road salt this POS state coats the road with. I'll post up some more pics at that point.

Worse comes to worse I'll just cover the floor w/some bent plate, 14 or 16 ga, that goes from the rocker to the unibody ~9". But I'll see how this holds out for this winter. All in all it took ~5 hrs to do above, when I coat underneath with Raptor liner I'm also going to spray at my feet inside and see how that holds up to the DD "abuse".

I'm happy with the results and am anxious to install the rest of the damp I have in the cargo area, doors, and roof and am anticipating favorable results in road noise reduction/dring comfort. Keep in mind my A$$ was exposed to the road but with just what I did allowed me to be able to hear my radio at 24 on the highway down to 16.

99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So I went nutz w/the bedliner. Used 2 full bottles of Raptor. Did it in the evening so luckily I have one more bottle I intend on coating the driverside floor again, ext. HEAVY and maybe another coat on the int.. I was able to get the rockers, F&R bumpers, int. floors and door jambs. I'm happy w/the results, time will tell how it'll hold up on the floors. Oh well enough of me blabbin on to the pics....

Back seats

You can definately tell the Raptor has faded over the 2+ years but I didn't see it till this AM and it's only noticeble when new stuff is applied.....a couple months later you can't even tell .

The bottoms of the doorrs had some surface rust developing so I hit em w/some 150 gr wiped em down and Raptored em.......

Rust was developing on the rear bumper I figured why not, if ya do one why not the other, so just like the jambs hit em w/some abrasive wiped them down and went to town.

99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
kathryndiann
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypla

You can definately tell the Raptor has faded over the 2+ years but I didn't see it till this AM and it's only noticeble when new stuff is applied.....a couple months later you can't even tell .
We recently herculined our TJ and it turned out AMAZING. I was contemplating the XJ, pros cons?
kathryndiann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.