Bed liner vs vinyl flooring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Bed liner vs vinyl flooring?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
shanimal
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bed liner vs vinyl flooring?

I want to replace my carpet in my Jeep because it has leaked since i bought it (fixed now, but at least 2 months of leaking when it rains plus how ever long it was leaking with the previous owner.) Eventually ill pull up the carpet anyway to see how much rust there is and to replace the floor pans and rockers.

I have seen people pull up the carpet and bed line the floor, but, IMHO, it looks ugly. I dont like seeing all the dents and frame of the jeep under the bed liner. My aunt said that she had rhino liner on her Jeep when she bought it (hers was kick-***), but i dont remember it looking like the pictures of the other Jeeps i have seen. I think she has it confused with a vinyl flooring.

My question is, has anyone done the vinyl flooring, and how hard is it to install? Is it just remove panels, seats, center console, carpet, and just place it in place of the carpet? the link to the installation video is broken, so i cant see the video they made

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ca...herokee-xj.htm

Maybe some pros and cons of each?

shanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It's going to look similar either way and you'll get far more rust protection from bed liner.

If you don't like the look just fix any holes, coat it in POR-15 and then replace the sound deadner and carpet. Team Cherokee sells full replacement carpeting in the factory colors already cut out for under $300.

Either way don't waste your time with vinyl flooring unless you just really like the look. Even then I would do bedliner or POR-15 beneath it just for the sake of protection. There's really no pro side to doing vinyl versus bedliner, however the vinyl is easier to keep clean and wash off over carpeting.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
shanimal
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i was reading up on Por 15. Do i need to replace the floor panels if theyre a bit rusted before i apply POR, or can i just lay it on top?
Unread 07-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanimal View Post
i was reading up on Por 15. Do i need to replace the floor panels if theyre a bit rusted before i apply POR, or can i just lay it on top?
I wouldn't bother unless the floor panels are in really bad shape. Just weld or have someone weld in new sheet metal over holes and repair small holes as needed, clean with a good degreaser and rust neutralizer then por-15 them. It's not going to repair rust damage, but if you've just got surface rust it will keep it from getting worse. It's not a replacement for actual repair.

Unread 07-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
shanimal
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ok cool, thanks.
Unread 07-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Just to let you know, just because you've bed lined one side, doesn't mean the other side is safe. If you're not going to bedline the bottom of the jeep, you're only protecting it half way. If you weld in new pieces, por15 both sides of the metal.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
TBULL96XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i put bed liner in my jeep..i was kinda worried on how it was gonna look but after it was done i loved it. the only downside is that it gets hot in the middle of the summer.
TBULL96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Anytime you remove the carpet and sound deadener beneath it in a car you're going to get a lot more heat in the interior because you've removed the insulation. All the heat comes up through the floor boards from the transmission.

Unread 07-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
TBULL96XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yea thats one of the reasons i was skeptical about doing it but i think its worth it, you can drag mud or anything into your jeep and just spray it out instead of scrubbing and cleaning carpet
TBULL96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
shanimal
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I do like the look if the vinyl. I hate seeing the the rivets and moldings in the metal when you just bed line it. I know the website says to not try and fit the vinyl over the existing carpet because it wont fit. what if i just put the POR and then some thin sound deadening stuff under the vinyl cut out? think i would still fit?
Unread 07-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If you do multiple coats of bedliner you won't see through it anyway.

Unread 07-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
shanimal
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
If you do multiple coats of bedliner you won't see through it anyway.
oh ok, cool. Have you done monstaliner on your jeep? i get a 20% discount form work so if its good then thats what ill be buying
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
shanimal
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i mean herculiner, not Monstaliner
Unread 07-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #14
shanimal
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i ment herculiner, not Monstaliner. I can also get the dupli color DIY bed liner; that stuff any good?
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I bedlined my truck about 4 months ago with herc and it hasn't held up well and faded like hell. Go with upol or monsta.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.