Beards' first Jeep. Come look at it, it's gorgeous. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Beards' first Jeep. Come look at it, it's gorgeous.

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Beards' first Jeep. Come look at it, it's gorgeous.

Hey guys! So I didn't see an intro page so I just posted my intro/build or whatever here.

A couple days ago I picked up a '96 Cherokee that's as stock as they come for 1000 George Washingtons. I needed a winter vehicle and it had to be something that I could quickly get parts for, was cheap to maintain, still cool to drive, and something that I wouldn't be tempted to lower. I have a car now, but I don't fancy driving it in the winter.

ANYWAYS. This is the only picture I have of it. Not that you guys don't know what it looks like.

The only rust anywhere is the floor right above the forward leaf mounts (basically right below the rear passenger's feet). Other than that it's seriously rust, dent, scratch free. It's only on the trailer because it wouldn't pass inspection because of the holes.

I've already done a lot to it. Normal maintenance stuff like oil change, trans fluid/filter change, new nss, new plugs, and I remade every single brake line everywhere because they were kinda (very) rusty. It gets a new MC tomorrow.

WELL THAT'S THAT. I'll have more pictures later. In the meantime, here's my other car.

This is my summer daily/weekend racer. I drive it every day and I've run a best of 11.73 at 125mph on street tires (no slicks) and full interior in the 1/4 mile.

Aaaaaaaand my dad's Jeep that I built for him this summer...

http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/Mi...93464.mp4.html

Okay, I'm done now. I'll be back with more pics of the XJ and whatnot. PEACE.

Last edited by Beards; 05-17-2014 at 04:19 PM..
Beards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum, nice find on the '96.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm staying the **** away from your side of Pittsburgh if you seriously drive that cambered thing.

Nice looking XJ though.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
I'm staying the **** away from your side of Pittsburgh if you seriously drive that cambered thing.

Nice looking XJ though.
Well that was a bit harsh! It's only 5.6 degrees in the front anyways.

And then I was like "shoot how on earth does he know I'm from Pittsburgh?"

It took me a bit to figure it out. Good catch, kid.

Where are you located? Also, do you have and cool parts you want to get rid of?
Unread 11-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beards View Post
Well that was a bit harsh! It's only 5.6 degrees in the front anyways.

And then I was like "shoot how on earth does he know I'm from Pittsburgh?"

It took me a bit to figure it out. Good catch, kid.

Where are you located? Also, do you have and cool parts you want to get rid of?
From the front that's not actually as bad. Fair enough.

I'm a little north of Pittsburgh, I don't have any spare parts at the moment.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Aaaaaaaand my dad's Jeep that I built for him this summer...

http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/Mi...93464.mp4.html

Okay, I'm done now. I'll be back with more pics of the XJ and whatnot. PEACE.

fapfapfapfapfap.... Specs?

My daily, but a D16Y7 makes her a turd. And no where near as beautiful as your hatch...

Nice XJ btw Looks like my 95 I used to have.
ibjeepin95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post

fapfapfapfapfap.... Specs?

My daily, but a D16Y7 makes her a turd. And no where near as beautiful as your hatch...

Nice XJ btw Looks like my 95 I used to have.

Hahaha! Well thank you, sir! Sure, I've got some specs. It's just a stock 6.1 right now (for testing and fabrication purposes). We have a built and half-filled 372 sitting in the shop now as well as a built AWD trans. The turbo is a PT106. I just got the fuel system in which is three in-tank 390lph pumps and a -10 supply and -8 return. The exhaust is a 5" downpipe that dumps behind the front bumper but can be capped off for daily driving. We're looking to run low to mid 9's with the full interior, AC, and all the other bells and whistles. Right now everything is being disassembled for ceramic coating. No numbers of any sort as of yet.

But for real, that hatch is clean! I don't see any rust at all and that makes me very jealous. Stupid New England.

And thanks very much for all the compliments!
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hahaha! Well thank you, sir! Sure, I've got some specs. It's just a stock 6.1 right now (for testing and fabrication purposes). We have a built and half-filled 372 sitting in the shop now as well as a built AWD trans. The turbo is a PT106. I just got the fuel system in which is three in-tank 390lph pumps and a -10 supply and -8 return. The exhaust is a 5" downpipe that dumps behind the front bumper but can be capped off for daily driving. We're looking to run low to mid 9's with the full interior, AC, and all the other bells and whistles. Right now everything is being disassembled for ceramic coating. No numbers of any sort as of yet.

But for real, that hatch is clean! I don't see any rust at all and that makes me very jealous. Stupid New England.

And thanks very much for all the compliments!
Nice! 9's with full interior in a Honda? UNPOSSIBLE! I want to see a vid once its done.

And thanks. It has no rust, I'm the second owner, it's been babied, and runs great for 240k. I'll do a swap one day. My dream swap would be a J32, but that's some $$$ for sure!
ibjeepin95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice rides all around man! Jeeps are BA in general, and any 11 sec front wheeler has my respect to say the least haha.

Edit: out of curiosity what kind of 60 ft times are you pulling on street tires?
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
Nice! 9's with full interior in a Honda? UNPOSSIBLE! I want to see a vid once its done.

And thanks. It has no rust, I'm the second owner, it's been babied, and runs great for 240k. I'll do a swap one day. My dream swap would be a J32, but that's some $$$ for sure!
No, that's for the Jeep. I thought he was asking specs on that.

The Honda only runs 11's. 10's if I put slicks on it and got better at driving!

Haha! A J-series swap would be BABIES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
Nice rides all around man! Jeeps are BA in general, and any 11 sec front wheeler has my respect to say the least haha.

Edit: out of curiosity what kind of 60 ft times are you pulling on street tires?
Thanks! It feels good to be appreciated for an import on a Jeep forum.

Pretty crappy 60' times to be honest. I'm no good at launching. My best is 1.96 and it was not on the 11.73 pass. I don't want to run slicks though because then I couldn't call it a street car anymore.

Last edited by Beards; 11-21-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No, that's for the Jeep. I thought you were asking specs on that.

The Honda only runs 11's. 10's if I put slicks on it and got better at driving!

Haha! A J-series swap would be BABIES.

Thanks! It feels good to be appreciated for an import on a Jeep forum.

Pretty crappy 60' times to be honest. I'm no good at launching. My best is 1.96 and it was not on the 11.73 pass. I don't want to run slicks though because then I couldn't call it a street car anymore.
Thats better than I was expecting really haha. There many options for drag radials in that size tire? I havent messed with fwd stuff in a loooong time. No shame in DR's on a street car!

Sorry to derail the thread, btw. It is JEEPforum I suppose.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Beards
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ha! It's all good. This is more of an intro/talk about whatever we want to thread. I don't care one bit. My threads usually go on fun tangents!

When I say "street tires" I mean Hoosier D.O.T.'s. I don't think they're radials? I guess I don't really know. Either way, I'd never actually drive them on the street!

But unfortunately, that's the tallest street-legal tire I can fit under the car. The sizes jump from 23" to a whopping 26".
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
Trons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

WTG Vegas, derailer you.
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Ha! It's all good. This is more of an intro/talk about whatever we want to thread. I don't care one bit. My threads usually go on fun tangents!

When I say "street tires" I mean Hoosier D.O.T.'s. I don't think they're radials? I guess I don't really know. Either way, I'd never actually drive them on the street!

But unfortunately, that's the tallest street-legal tire I can fit under the car. The sizes jump from 23" to a whopping 26".
Yea you have some pretty close tolerances there on tire fitment for sure haha. Im a "ME NEED V8 AND RWD" kinda guy but Im in love with four wheels and a motor at the end of the day, and that looks like a well done ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
WTG Vegas, derailer you.
Haha thread derailment cleanses the soul.

I do find it interesting how many people have an XJ as a do-it-all ride and also have a go-fast ride of some sort. The XJ really serves that role well. Be careful tho OP, youll get attached to that XJ and find yourself driving the car less and less. After I started modding my first Jeep my ol pony car would sit so long Id have to give it a jump. So nice to not worry about door dings and be able to run over ****.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:26 AM   #15
Mike934

Idk how far your looking to go. But ive got built axles & drop brackets and new upper & lower adjustables for sale.. Yes built, ready to bolt in and go. Geared, locked, trussed, wj swap, chromos, diff covers. The rear 8.8 has 0 miles. The front d30 only the locker and gears have 9700 miles. Everything else is new. Brakes, ball joints, hubs ect ect.
Just tossing it out since you asked if someone had cool stuff for sale.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.