Battery or Starter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Battery or Starter

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
werff
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Battery or Starter

Hey all. I have 1995 Cherokee 4.0. Havent had it too long so now all the quirky things are starting to happen. the latest is when trying to start it, there a few times when all you hear is a click. Try it again and it fires right off. Seems to be happening on a more regular basis. Been working a lot so I havent had any time to troubleshoot so I thought I would be lazy and ask my Jeep forum buddies....any ideas?

werff

werff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

could be a lot of things to consider.
does your reverse lights work? if not it could be your neutral safety switch needs cleaning
could be your starter
could be your battery
check your fuses
could be the fuse for the fuel pump
do you hear your fuel pump priming when you put the key in the on position?

these things to check over. im sure people will chime in for more things to check

my build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...thread-634491/
T4STE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

NSS is my guess. Mine does the exact same thing. turn the key and get a click then nothing, then turn it try again and it will fire right up.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
werff
1995 XJ Cherokee 

so...here's the deal. When I turn the key there is a loud click coming from the starter there and it is not turning over at all now. . Can the NSS cause this or has the starter gone out? I am going to replace the starter this week. if that isn't it...I will get the transmission flushed and at the same time have that stinkin' NSS serviced. I'll let you know what works. thanks for all the help.

werff
werff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.