Basic RC 4.5 lift? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Basic RC 4.5 lift?

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitLong Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off Road

Unread 03-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #31
TitletownZJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Is there a thread for junk yard bolt on's

Member of Titletown Jeepers
TitletownZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #32
StringBeaner
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I dont know, all im saying is you dont have to buy new if you dont have the money.
StringBeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #33
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I really thi k ill just go with the RC x series best bang for the buck....I wish u had junk yards like that around here
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #34
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl View Post
Because in a year you will be replacing sagging rear leafs again. Full leaf packs are the way to go. Check CL and the classifieds here on the forum. You can piece together a full lift for a great price. I found my rear leafs on CL for $100 full packs 4.5. The guy ran them for less than 3 months before he upgraded to 6.5. I needed them to replace the sagging aal the PO installed barely a year before.

Going with a 4.5 you will need to extend your rear break lines, you can use one from a 92 or later YJ (advanced auto for less than 20). You may also need to look into an SYE kit and new ds (can use one from the front of an XJ)
Just a little FYI, I've had my AAL for over 3 years (3" AAL) and have lost .25" TOPS. Don't knock AALs unless your leafs suck to begin with. Mine were in awesome condition, probably why they've lasted so long.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #35
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The OP is alreay sagging and having to replace them, my experience that I listed was personal not what Ive heard and Im not the only one who had these issues...... just gave my opinion.

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #36
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Can someone please explain to me the difference between a 4.5" X-series and a 4.5" Long Arms?

I'd assume the long arms are better.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #37
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

4.5" x series is still short arms. short arms are control arms that still mount to the stock locations. once you go above 4.5" of lift, i'd say you need long arms. i wouldn't hesitate to get a 4.5" lift with short though.

aftqer 4.5" of lift, your control arms look nearly vertical, with no room to swing down for flex. long arms are control arms that mount to a cross member that is mounted farther underneath (usually where the tcase crossmember goes) so they have more room to travel.

long arms

short arms

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #38
bamstar6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Definitely go with the X-series! With the basic kit, you only get lower control arms and they are fixed so the only adjustment u have is the shims. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. If I would have known at the time, when I bought my 4.5x kit I would have gotten a track bar with a drop mount. Now I will get the iro double shear track bar and bracket. (when I shave the money)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.