Banks revolver header? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Banks revolver header?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
muttly
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Banks revolver header?

Anyone running the banks revolver header?Any noticeable gain and how does it sound?

Unread 03-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
muttly
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone?
Unread 03-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Headers will not give you any power on a 4.0. If you need more power, regear.

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Luuca;15713642]I pitty anyone who tries to reach into that netting unaware.[/QUOTE]
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
muttly
1998 XJ Cherokee 

According to their dyno it does but you cant beleive everything you read on the internet either.
http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag...19-add2-lg.jpg
Unread 03-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Agent620
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's called marketing. The increase is around 4-5,000 RPM(i.e you wont even know its there, not is it even enough to be noticeable if it were even down in the 2000 range), you will kill your engine if you drive there all day long, not to mention the MPG will go WAY down. Search on here for performance upgrades, they just don't help enough on this engine. It's old and it has just about everything squeezed out of it from the factory that can be. I've tried a few performance upgrades, never saw a change. Good luck.

If you've ever been in that traffic, you would have ground down the steering wheel with a death grip too. "Just ****ing GOOOOOO!!!!"[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Luuca;15713642]I pitty anyone who tries to reach into that netting unaware.[/QUOTE]
'99 TJ (DD)
'89 XJ (WIP)
Agent620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #6
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yep. you will get a slight gain from a cat back setup, but that is about it. I found my best gain in HP and MPG was to put in a new timing chain. It was stretched a good bit over all those miles.

Exhaust "upgrades" tend to just give added noise and lower mpg.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #7
muttly
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'll be doing a few things to the motor,I think a timing chain may be added to the list then.Shes got 165,000 on her.As far as the header goes it needs to be changed anyway,mine is cracked and badly dented. Hopefully its not just an expensive noisemaker.
Unread 03-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttly View Post
I'll be doing a few things to the motor,I think a timing chain may be added to the list then.Shes got 165,000 on her.As far as the header goes it needs to be changed anyway,mine is cracked and badly dented. Hopefully its not just an expensive noisemaker.
APN header is probably the best bang-for-buck out there, and I've never heard of one cracking. Not very expensive at all.

http://www.ineedparts.com/apn-jeep-e...-manifold.html
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #9
muttly
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I get worried about some of the cheaper parts, I've come to learn the hard way,you get what you pay for most of the time.
Unread 03-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #10
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttly View Post
I get worried about some of the cheaper parts, I've come to learn the hard way,you get what you pay for most of the time.
Or you get ripped off. Don't take my word for it; do your research. APN is probably the highest regarded header for the 4.0 overall. Nothing made today offers anything the APN header doesn't performance-wise, and while I can't find any case of the APN header cracking, I can find cracking reports on most other aftermarkets including Banks and Borla.

Banks' Revolver header is a short-tube, 6-into-1 design that is never going to give you any decent gains at an RPM range your 4.0 sees, and that 6-into-1 collector, while potentially great for scavenging, looks like it might be cracks just waiting to happen. The collector may likely be beneficial if they've made it strong enough to withstand the stresses that crack most headers on the 4.0, but those short tubes aren't going to give you any low-end gains. Even Banks only makes claims for 3400+ RPM, and that just isn't where a 4.0 spends most of its time. Even putting my foot down a bit to rush up to highway speed up a ramp, I rarely, if ever, hit 3400 RPM. Their fancy 20+ hp gain claim isn't even achieved until 4500-5000 RPM at which point your 4.0 is probably praying and/or weeping a little.

If you have over $400 to throw around on a header, give it a try if you're inclined to believe that the top-end gains come at no cost to the low-end--in that case, it's clearly better than stock. Personally, given all the options out there and their prices, I'll stick to the $160, tried-and-true, durable APN.

No header for the 4.0 is really designed the way I'd prefer to actually provide decent performance benefits, so it's really just a matter of price and durability. Mopar used to sell a header designed by Mike Leach (wicked price tag, though) which was kinda sorta on the right track toward being better, but even it wasn't what I'd like ideally. Doug Thorley's header was probably the next-best (Leach worked for Thorley before going on his own to distribute through Mopar), but I'm splitting hairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
...No one seems to make a very well-designed header for the 4.0 in terms of performance. The primaries of everyone's headers are always different lengths, collect 6 into 2 far too early, don't bother to pair cylinders ideally. I'd love a set of headers with equal-length and slightly longer, narrow primaries that collect 6 into 3 pairing cylinders 1+6, 2+5, and 3+4.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
Callelle
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have APN headers in mine and love them. I don't know if I got any power boosts but my throttle response is better. I did have a crack in mine in the collectors but I think thats mostly due to me having **** motor mounts and bashing the exhaust on rocks that I shouldn't have been in when I was on 31s. Either way, they replaced them for free and have had no issues since, so I still highly recommend them.
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 11:56 PM   #12
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ive done 3 APN headers, all running strong. Cant beat the price.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I also run a APN header with a custom mandrel bent 2.5" header back exhaust running a hiflow cat and magnaflow muffler. My throttle response is pretty snappy. I gained 1.5 mpg with it. Asfar as hp. In the mid to upper range it feels stronger and she sounds great.
Unread 03-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I also have the apn header. Very nice build quality for the price and haven't had a problem with it yet. And I researched a lot before buying one and saw nothing but good reviews.
Unread 03-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #15
muttly
1998 XJ Cherokee 

After a little research I think you guys have convinced me to go with the APN.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.