Back and Building - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Back and Building

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 02-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #91
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

going to check out a possible donor motor tomorrow morning as my oil pressure is hardly within spec running 5w-40 rotella. It's out of 98 with 80k original on it. was a winter jeep for a guy and the unibody rusted out. he's asking 550 for it.

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #92
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

And all that is wrong with yours is what? Low or high oil pressure? Mine was EXTREMELY low unless I kept the rpm's up to 1500, so I drove with 2 feet for a bit until I could fix it. A new oil pump and pickup did the trick. Not a bad job at all and you can take care of the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and any other little oil leaks while you're at it.
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #93
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
And all that is wrong with yours is what? Low or high oil pressure? Mine was EXTREMELY low unless I kept the rpm's up to 1500, so I drove with 2 feet for a bit until I could fix it. A new oil pump and pickup did the trick. Not a bad job at all and you can take care of the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and any other little oil leaks while you're at it.

It's toast, only a matter of time, i want the peace of mind for long trips. 0331 head gremlin got me twice, my #2 and #4 cylinder walls are blackened and shiny too. i tolerated the low pressure after the first head swap. Also i have lots of lifter noise that i didn't have before. But now after my 45 minute work commute, the needle is dipping under the first line unless i tap the gas. I'm sure i could nurse mine and make it last a while, but i highly doubt it'll last through the summer temps with the trips i have planned. I race enduro mountain bikes so i have 6 hour trips to central VT and 1 to northern NH and 1 to southern NH, and I prefer to drive to GA to visit my dad so i can bring toys.

Besides, with my motor out, it might inspire me to build a stroker with it, i knwo no one with have any objection to that.

Unread 02-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #94
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

been trying to figure out a nice quiet exhaust since currently mine is broken and clogged cats and dumps before the axle with a FM44. I'm replacing header back.

then i came across this, it's on a 4 linked rig, but his shocks are mounted ho mine will be and his pinion is higher than the TJ44 i'll be running so i think I'll be okay. He's also running the stock tank skid as i do.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...l#post13270604

Edit: On second thought, i believe the JKS shock mount i'll be using is lower than that probably causing an issue. maybe i could go over it

Unread 02-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #95
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

the jeep has been dropped off the rear axle installed (really need to purchase a welder this season as that the only reason i'm not doing the install) i should have it back later tonight.

Unread 02-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #96
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It's it, soooo smooth riding. Gotta button up a few things still.

Did some measuring, somehow I got more lift. I thought I might get 1/2" which I was okay with plans to add rear bumper and plating, but I got over an inch higher. I'm netting 6 1/4" over stock in the rear and it's really raked.

My old set up consisted on RE 3.5" full packs and 1" shackle, I sat just a hair over 4.5" after it settled. I swapped out the shackle for a slider box at stock height, and 1" UBE's with the same leaf pack.

Mike at Globex said that my leaf packs were pretty rusted together with the pin to the old turdy5 and that he had to reuse the shim because it wouldn't come off.

I'm thinking about removing that shim and the short leaf it's stuck too, I'm worried that will ride too soft though. It's that or new leaf packs or cut off the UBE's and either attempt to evenly shorten them, or replace them. Thoughts?

Unread 02-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #97
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

snapped a couple phone photos at work

trying to determine which leaf to remove from the pack, also it has JK shocks in it as i need new upper bushing for my Bilsteins, and i need parking brake cables because the TJ ones didn't fit. Aside from the extra lift (i shouldve just done regular UBE's in hindsight) i'm very satisfied with how this rides with the slider boxes, unbelievably smooth. in about 2 weeks i should be at a point where i can get it back out on the trail for testing.

Unread 02-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #98
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good! How do you have your rear shocks mounted? Are they just mounted to the stock upper mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
i need new upper bushing for my Bilsteins.
New bushings for the bilsteins? Eh, I think you should just sell them to me instead

Quote:
Aside from the extra lift (i shouldve just done regular UBE's in hindsight) i'm very satisfied with how this rides with the slider boxes, unbelievably smooth..
Looks good. I kind of wish I would have gone with the slider boxes. I had to remove my HD Offroad relocation brackets, because my new 6.5" rusty's leaf packs gave me too much lift.

Quote:
in about 2 weeks i should be at a point where i can get it back out on the trail for testing.
Where are you planning on taking the XJ out to test it out? Making a Rausch trip? I'm hoping to get up there sometime this summer finally.
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #99
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5
Looks good! How do you have your rear shocks mounted? Are they just mounted to the stock upper mount?

New bushings for the bilsteins? Eh, I think you should just sell them to me instead

Looks good. I kind of wish I would have gone with the slider boxes. I had to remove my HD Offroad relocation brackets, because my new 6.5" rusty's leaf packs gave me too much lift.

Where are you planning on taking the XJ out to test it out? Making a Rausch trip? I'm hoping to get up there sometime this summer finally.
They're mounted to the JKS crossover mount.

I actually have a set of 5100 stock mounting in the box for 6" lifts PM me if you want them I just hadn't shipped them back to return them yet.

Ill probably take it to the local pine barrens trails, couple of fun little hill climbs that I want to see how the locker and gears are since I used to run them all the time before it sat. Actually this is going to be a totally different rig than it used to be the last time shes been out. Gears, steering, disc brakes, axles, rear suspension set up and shocks. I'm down for a rausch trip for sure, I'd like to go a few times this year if possible, easier for me to go during the week with my work schedule.

Unread 02-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #100
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
They're mounted to the JKS crossover mount.

I actually have a set of 5100 stock mounting in the box for 6" lifts PM me if you want them I just hadn't shipped them back to return them yet.

Ill probably take it to the local pine barrens trails, couple of fun little hill climbs that I want to see how the locker and gears are since I used to run them all the time before it sat. Actually this is going to be a totally different rig than it used to be the last time shes been out. Gears, steering, disc brakes, axles, rear suspension set up and shocks. I'm down for a rausch trip for sure, I'd like to go a few times this year if possible, easier for me to go during the week with my work schedule.
Sweet... Sending PM in 2 min.

I have the JKS crossover mount as well, because after my 9" install my shocks were too long. That's why I asked about yours, because it looked like they were at an angle like mind.

I'm in the same boat that you are with the new axles, lockers, gears, and suspension (longarms, new coils, and new leaf packs),
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #101
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Oh man I always wanted to do 9" front and rear narrowed a little bit.

Unread 02-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #102
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Oh man I always wanted to do 9" front and rear narrowed a little bit.
I wish I had a 9" front. Just a Ford 9" rear and Wagoneer D44 up front. 63" - 65" WMS, I forget which without looking it up. So, I'm a bit wide.
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:35 PM   #103
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Personally I like the JK width and run with JK stock backspaced wheels on the narrow body XJ keeps

Unread 02-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #104
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Personally I wouldn't mind having a sweet *** 4 door JK with a small lift and 35's for a DD, but I can't afford that ****.
Unread 02-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #105
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm still a JK hater, my girl has a Sahara 4 door, its nice but just took big for a wheeler for me. A little to no lift 2 door on 37s might sway me maybe. If I ever left an xj I'd go LJ or Toyota

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.