Back and Building - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Back and Building

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #76
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vassago View Post
Got the Bilstien 5100's installed and the LED headlights, which i must say, are better than stock, awesome color very true white light, been good for the wet pavement conditions i've had the past couple days. I'm having an alignment issue though, the beam is much broader than with a bulb in my IPF Housings, so i'm trying to find the sweet spot still, for $150 bucks, they're awesome. i did have to cut holes in the sheet metal behind the headlamp for clearance. I think that's due to the IPF housing's being deep, it's like 5mm too long.
Where did u get LED headlights for $150?

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #77
sean883
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
I'm guessing something similar to these...

http://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.c...air_p_161.html
sean883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #78
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I purchased them from http://www.globexperformance.com/

Lifetime LED's makes them

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean883 View Post
I'm guessing something similar to these...

http://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.c...air_p_161.html
Kinda, but they're nicer than those.

http://www.lifetimeledlights.com/H49...hts-_p_59.html

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #79
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

also, i got them aligned properly, and they kick *** now

crappy pictures for now...

Unread 02-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #80
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
also, i got them aligned properly, and they kick *** now

crappy pictures for now...

What housing are you using?

Quote:
Unread 02-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #81
Xride

Quote:

Quote:
Got the Bilstien 5100's installed and the LED headlights, which i must say, are better than stock, awesome color very true white light, been good for the wet pavement conditions i've had the past couple days. I'm having an alignment issue though, the beam is much broader than with a bulb in my IPF Housings, so i'm trying to find the sweet spot still, for $150 bucks, they're awesome. i did have to cut holes in the sheet metal behind the headlamp for clearance. I think that's due to the IPF housing's being deep, it's like 5mm too long.

Looking great. I'd be going more to ebay light bar over LED headlights, but I don't daily drive my XJ. Have been thinking about the LED bulb things for my work truck though.
Unread 02-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #82
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
IPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
Looking great. I'd be going more to ebay light bar over LED headlights, but I don't daily drive my XJ. Have been thinking about the LED bulb things for my work truck though.

Thanks! Legally I cant drive on roads here with auxilary lighting, too many other cars and blinding. when i build a front bumper i'll add an LED bar. This company makes pretty good bars for the money, i'm going to use some of their smaller pods for new reverse lights soon.

Unread 02-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #83
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

IPF

Thanks! Legally I cant drive on roads here with auxilary lighting, too many other cars and blinding. when i build a front bumper i'll add an LED bar. This company makes pretty good bars for the money, i'm going to use some of their smaller pods for new reverse lights soon.
Might have to get a set they look good

Quote:
Unread 02-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #84
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome... Just stumbled on your new and improved build.

Quote:
Which brings me to the following list of things to do, and i will be doing as much updating as my time will allow.

1 Replace cracked head with Clearwater Reman head (completed 12-17-13)
2 Oil pan gasket, rear main seal, new oil pump - Bring it down to my place and I'll help you out. The hardest part of this is getting the damn oil pan out
3 AW4 flush and clean, new gasket for the cover as well, NSS cleaning too
4 Same goes for the TC
5 Finish rear axle and install (only parts needed are shafts and gear install/bearing kit)
6 Rear disc conversion with parking brake
7 Paint and rust repair
8 OBA setup for airing up tires and operating factory Rubi air lockers - what setup are you going with? I eventually want to turn my A/C compressor into OBA since I run doorless and don't use A/C anyway /COLOR]
[COLOR="red"]9 Interior upgrades! rip out everything, replace front seats with Corbeau's, install overhead console with switches for lockers, lights and hidden CB, rear custom storage for trunk area that will hold spares, tools, OBA, probably a subwoofer since i have one in the garage, drain plugs, not sure about carpet or no carpet, - I really want some suspension seats too, but I'll have to wait and find a good deal on some used ones. I also vote no carpet and either Raptor liner or Monstaliner. I've installed Raptor liner twice, but I think I may do the entire outside of the HEEP with monstaliner to check it out.
10 Build mid/longarms frame plating
11 Build bumpers, front with hidden winch warn 9.0RC most likely, rear with modular tire carrier, possibly for cut/fold - I picked my rear bumper with side protection and swing out tire carrier from a guy (Kreider's Kustoms) up around Rausch. He met me in Harrisburg to deliver it. Check him out on facebook. Total was around $425. The thing is BEEFY at 126lbs
12 TBD

Finally, i'm glad to be back, i missed the jeep community
and welcome back! I'm attempting to make my own comeback and finally get back on the road for the first time in a few years.
koolaid5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #85
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Awesome... Just stumbled on your new and improved build.

and welcome back! I'm attempting to make my own comeback and finally get back on the road for the first time in a few years.
Thanks man!

2 Oil pan gasket, rear main seal, new oil pump - Bring it down to my place and I'll help you out. The hardest part of this is getting the damn oil pan out

I'm replacing my pre-cats this upcoming week, should make getting the pan off a lot easier while it's out of the way!

what setup are you going with? I eventually want to turn my A/C compressor into OBA since I run doorless and don't use A/C anyway

I'm keeping a/c, as of right now i'm looking for a factory air pump since i ended up putting a grizzly locker int he rear. id not i'll being doing a viair 400c compressor and try to hide a tank somewhere. I have an idea that involves going through the floor for shock mounting reasons, and building a tunnel to hide things like this, just and idea at this point, maybe next winter.

I really want some suspension seats too, but I'll have to wait and find a good deal on some used ones. I also vote no carpet and either Raptor liner or Monstaliner. I've installed Raptor liner twice, but I think I may do the entire outside of the HEEP with monstaliner to check it out.

I dont mind spending the money to keep my butt happy, but at the same it's not high on the list of priorities right now. Im pretty convinced at this point to keep the carpet just due to the heat. humid jersey shore summers and a sweltering commute stuck in benny shore traffic does not sound fun. I've decided on paint for the outside though, but i'm not telling the internet until it's time to paint

I picked my rear bumper with side protection and swing out tire carrier from a guy (Kreider's Kustoms) up around Rausch. He met me in Harrisburg to deliver it. Check him out on facebook. Total was around $425. The thing is BEEFY at 126lbs

yea i saw that! super beef! Thats a hell of a deal for the price. I have a plan that is just going to be cheaper and easier to to it myself, no one makes the mounting system i plan on doing. 2x4 through the "frame" tied in to d-ring tabs and braced for a receiver (for a bike rack) the bumper itself will essentially slide over and attach to the subframe (i may or may not have the bumper be aluminum with a steel subframe) the cut/fold section will tie in to a side of the frame for extra attachment points. My theory is that i'll be able to save a lot of the beef weight using less material by spreading out the loads differently than what most guys have done. Also i want to do a a 2 part swing out, kind of similar ot how RiGidCo did year ago. keep the spare high and behind the driver so rearview is not obstructed, and swing towards the driver, passenger side removable for gerry cans/rotopax. It'll be hella complicated and if i do it right, i have a feeling i may make more if there's an interest.

I wish this was a dedicated trail rig as times, i'd be able to compromise more on things, but since i want to be able to drive it long distances comfort and convenience at high on the priority list.

Unread 02-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #86
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a plan. I like the rear bumper idea. I wish mine swung toward the driver's side. You could make it a lot shorter and have less stress on ther swing out.

Can't wait to see progress. . . . Get to work.
Unread 02-12-2014, 06:50 PM   #87
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
Sounds like a plan. I like the rear bumper idea. I wish mine swung toward the driver's side. You could make it a lot shorter and have less stress on ther swing out.

Can't wait to see progress. . . . Get to work.

That's the idea!

I can only work as fast as my paycheck allows unfortunately.

On a plus note, rear axle is assembled and awaiting install!

now anybody have some decently worn 35's they want to part with cheap???

Unread 02-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #88
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

You can buy my brand new 35" MTZ's. . . Not going to be REAL cheap though.
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #89
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hahaha I guess ill be running 4.88s on 33's for a while then. At least ill have a decent 60ft time

Unread 02-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #90
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hahahahaha. . . SWEET! Mine weren't for sale anyway . Actually drove the XJ to work today. Go check out my build thread. Had to pull my buddy's Xterra out of a mound of snow too. Good times

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.