Back and Building - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Back and Building

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #31
Spokes
Mall Crawler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good to see you're back man! Jeep looks like its coming a long nicely.

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #32
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

From the test drive pic, it looks like your Jeep is getting up to temp. What thermostat do you have in there? I'm betting there is a bunch of crap in the heater core. I had the same problem on mine, and had to flush it a few times to get heat. Mix up some lemon juice and white vinegar and let it sit in the core for an hour or two then flush back and forth with a garden hose. You might need to do this a few times.

Jeep looks good by the way!

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #33
rallybro
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yay, someone else running sliders.
rallybro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #34
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

How are the sliders by the way? Noisy? Binding? Flex pics?
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #35
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Good to see you're back man! Jeep looks like its coming a long nicely.
Thanks! Glad to be back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
From the test drive pic, it looks like your Jeep is getting up to temp. What thermostat do you have in there? I'm betting there is a bunch of crap in the heater core. I had the same problem on mine, and had to flush it a few times to get heat. Mix up some lemon juice and white vinegar and let it sit in the core for an hour or two then flush back and forth with a garden hose. You might need to do this a few times.

Jeep looks good by the way!
I will try this, i'm not quite getting up to temp, about 15 degrees shy, going to buy a mopar tstat first (i have a stant). i didn't flush the core a few times with water but this trick sounds easy enough i'll give it a shot, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybro View Post
Yay, someone else running sliders.
I've been drooling over them for too long! HeavyMetalXJ's experience helped the most with my decision to run them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
How are the sliders by the way? Noisy? Binding? Flex pics?
Not installed yet, i'll update when i get there. only problems i've heard are getting bent on rocks, i don't do a **** load of heavy crawling so i'm sure i'll be happy with their performance.

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #36
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you have the Stant Superstat 195* stat I would just leave it in there. The Mopar stats are now made by Motorad. My Stant was causing my Jeep to run 190-200*, but it did seem to heat up faster. I swapped in the dealer Motorad stat and I now have much larger temp fluctuations. My temps now go from 188-206* back and forth according to my Scan Gauge II. It also seems to take a little longer to get heat. The Stant seemed to keep my operating temperature fairly stable at 195*. I will be swapping the Stant back in when its above 5* again.

Needless to say, if your stat seems to be working, I'd leave it alone. The heater core seems to be the issue. I start getting warm air when the engine temp reaches 150* (halfway up the gauge).

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #37
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
If you have the Stant Superstat 195* stat I would just leave it in there. The Mopar stats are now made by Motorad. My Stant was causing my Jeep to run 190-200*, but it did seem to heat up faster. I swapped in the dealer Motorad stat and I now have much larger temp fluctuations. My temps now go from 188-206* back and forth according to my Scan Gauge II. It also seems to take a little longer to get heat. The Stant seemed to keep my operating temperature fairly stable at 195*. I will be swapping the Stant back in when its above 5* again.

Needless to say, if your stat seems to be working, I'd leave it alone. The heater core seems to be the issue. I start getting warm air when the engine temp reaches 150* (halfway up the gauge).
I've done the reading up on both and I'm not one to shy away because of bunch of people on the internet don't like Motorad. I've had plenty of Stant's go bad/be bad out of the box. My jeep always ran just before the 210* mark and now its has a significant gap, as low as the 180 mark while driving in the cold winter temps it never gets up to where it's always been for the past 6 1/2 years. I agree that my issue is most likely the core needing a better flush but I'm still going to try the dealer tstat as well.

Unread 01-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #38
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So my jeep got stuck in first gear yesterday. Turned out to be a bad TPS that was saying i was only getting about 15% throttle (i assume the zub zero temps did it in finally) swapped in a spare a friend had laying around and it shifts and idles much better and my CEL turned off after 3 starts and 40 miles of driving.

Anyone have experience with a bad TPS making causing a Bank 2 Catalytic converter code and a small EVAP leak code? I'm thinking it's entirely possible as my idle was kinda wanky and when i let off the the throttle the RPM's would drop much quicker than they normally did. Now, my idle is much smoother and the RPM drop nice and smooth to idle when coming to a stop. By my logic, the rough/low idle would create less of a vacuum, cause the ECM to "think" there was a small leak. and the quick RPM drop i could assume (since the ECM monitors certain parameters at specific engine speeds and O2 sensors have to send the right voltage reading) that the ECM would register that time difference as a clogged up Catalyst?

Unread 01-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #39
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

CEL came back on, the spare TPS is sending a low voltage code (i knew it would) and the P0432 came back too, P0432 cause can be either a bad catalyst or engine running on bad air/fuel ratio, so i'm still holding out to get a new TPS from the dealer before dropping cash on a new catalyst.

Unread 01-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #40
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

more parked pictures from friday

Unread 01-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #41
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

got a few things done over my weekend

Got the rear axle housing cleaned up and painted, ready for spring and shock mounts and assembly now. That work is being done at Globex Perforence in Toms River, NJ

The cold weather required the housing to be brought inside to fully cure. I had made a joke about this on my instagram saying if i had a wife, she'd kill me. That was followed by a text from my girlfriend saying she'd never get mad for having jeep parts in the house. Can you say KEEPER?!

and diff cover

also, how can i change the name of this thread to something more appropriate?

Unread 01-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #42
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

TNT UBE's just showed up. now i'm just waiting on new nut strips which should be here tomorrow and it's build and swap time!

Unread 01-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #43
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sweet, did i miss something? did you already have the axle? looks to be a D44?? whats it out of? sorry, just curious.
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #44
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
sweet, did i miss something? did you already have the axle? looks to be a D44?? whats it out of? sorry, just curious.
Yes i already had a set of TJ rubicon 44's

Front is already swapped over with 4.88's installed

Rear is being built this week with 4.88's and alloy shafts being installed next week.

Also just ordered Bilstein 5100's to replace my blown out OME's and i found another JKS upper shock mount of EBay so i dont have to run super short shocks or fab up new mounts yet.

Unread 01-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #45
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice! man JK RUBICON Axles huh? did you get these somehow for a great deal? around here those things can be pretty pricey, probably close to 1k each. maybe more.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.