Back and Building - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Back and Building

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sweet looking rig!

Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to see you and your XJ up and running again.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #18
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
sweet looking rig!
thank you!

My XJ will be pulled into the garage tonight or first this in the morning depending on how the day goes. Been working on the getting the garage into a functioning shop all week.

On the agenda:
Install Clearwater cylinder head
Flush EVERYTHING having do with the cooling system and replace hoses and such as needed.
Fix heat, it's winter after all
Rework headlight wiring harness to make room for the stock airbox for the snorkel
Realign snorkel and repair crack from my door
Immaculate cleaning of engine bay to trace leaks and such
Shorten trackbar
Change trans fluid and filter
Clean NSS
Clean throttle body
Diagnose noise from front end

It's a long list for 2 days with the biggest goal being the cylinder head and cooling system above all else. Wish me luck.

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

How does the snorkel work when its really cold (-10 and below)? Do you have snow dust issues for example plugging up the filter if you are offroad in snow a lot? Or is it a non issue?
Wife thinks my tracked jeep needs a snorkel but i'm worried about it sucking in snow dust and having filter issues (like the rangers and rzr's do if they are tracked without a cab).
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #20
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93
How does the snorkel work when its really cold (-10 and below)? Do you have snow dust issues for example plugging up the filter if you are offroad in snow a lot? Or is it a non issue?
Wife thinks my tracked jeep needs a snorkel but i'm worried about it sucking in snow dust and having filter issues (like the rangers and rzr's do if they are tracked without a cab).
I don't really get those kinds of conditions in NJ to worry about it. Can just turn the top of the snorkel around for slower speed snow dust conditions if you're worried about sucking anything in.

Unread 12-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #21
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Got the cylinder head installed and cooling system flushed, it's going to need another flush it was really gunky. I had coolant in my oil and oil in my coolant.

Pics and details tomorrow.

Unread 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
MOBBiN
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
I hope you don mind me answering this Vassago. My jeep has a snorkel, I live in Alaska. 2 weeks ago the temp was ranging from -10 to 10 above. This is my second winter with the snorkel. I've had zero issues and doubt I will.
Unread 12-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOBBiN View Post
I hope you don mind me answering this Vassago.
Not at all! We're all friends here.

Unread 12-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Okay time for an update.

This is the first time any vehicle has been in the garage since i've lived in this house for the past 3 year (old roommates have a photography studio in there) needs more work to get perfect but between my jeep, and my new roommate's 240sx drift car build, we'll get it figured out.

Ran into my first and only problem of the head swap. A broken steering pump bolt, still acts like a stud so i just left it like that. I'll tackle it when i upgrade the steering box and pump in the future.

Then i got to witness this mess!

Luckily, the rockers and valves didn't look quite as bad.

Here's a picture of my crack

Torn apart at the halfway point, took 3 1/2 hours to get it to this point taking my time without help.

New head gasket

Clearwater head installed. Yes, i reused my head bolts as they were brand new Mopar bolts i had installed last time i did this and it's okay to reuse them once.

Called it a night on monday at this point, i had taken too long of a break and hit a bunch of traffic doing last minute run around stuff.

And test drive went fine. Check one thing off the list!

One thing i'm still concerned with is i don't have much heat, it's warmish but not hot. I need to flush the heater core again (water is turned off but it's going to be warm this weekend so i'm sure i'll get it flushed then) My no heat issue started after installed a CSF 3row radiator and flowkooler high-flow water pump. Maybe they're too efficient? anyone car to chime in on the subject?

Unread 12-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #25
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Holy **** I'm surprised the rockers and pushrods were in as nice shape as they were.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #26
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Holy **** I'm surprised the rockers and pushrods were in as nice shape as they were.
I had been changing my oil every week. What was there was insanely thin viscosity though. Driven it to work yesterday and today. 90 miles since the swap and the motor os so quiet now i HAVE to fix the exhaust it's annoying.

Also, my Audi should be sold tonight! That means I get to do a parts ordering spree! Need to figure out the best order to do that in.

Unread 12-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I was eating a bean burrito when I seen the pic inside the valvecover... almost puked haha.

Good work! Ill be tuned in for this buying spree.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #28
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Threw P0432 code on my way home last night

Unread 12-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #29
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well the Audi is GONE, glad to have that mistake of a purchase behind me!

Orders have been placed for the following:

TNT Customs 1" UBE's
JKS Upper shock mount (my damn landlord threw out the one I had purchased from hotrodhooligan years ago)
Liquid Iron Industries bolt-on slider boxes.

Now I just need axle shafts and a master install kit for the differential, I will be getting those through the shop assembling the axle. I know, I know, I should be doing it myself and I would prefer that, but is the essence of time and not owning a welder (yet) it's simply easier this way and I dont have to worry about having an issue because I screwed it up.

Unread 12-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #30
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Well these showed up quick!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.