Back and Building - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Back and Building

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Vassago's 2001 LCOG Expedition Build

Hello JF friends old and new! haven't been around for a while, searchign here and there. my old build thread basically fell apart, pictures lost blah blah. so here's a new one.

a recap...

Purchased my 2001 XJ Upcountry in 2007 with 52k 4.0 AW4 LP30/D35 3.55, NP242, tracloc, abs, full factory skids and tow hooks, bigger alternator and a trans cooler 30" ATs stock. Instantly lifted it with a RE 4.5 superflex (the old RE quality) 32x11.5 BFG at's and d windows, sliders my dad made. OME nitro chargers.

Picture right after lifting, First trip to VT.

after a while playing around the flares came off

then came trimming and 33" KM2's

a show action shot since i have so few action shots.

at 80k, the 0331 head cracked, replaced it with an 02 0331 head. i'll post pictures when i find them.

i drive a lot and this was my daily driver for years, it took it's toll having a long commute to work. The D30 was in bad shape, always blew up pinion bearing and unit bearings and u joints. Over the years i've accumulated everything need to do a Rubicon TJ D44 front and rear swap. Swapped the front in with RedZJ in March of 2012.

another random flex for the people who only look at pictures

May of 2012 i bought and Audi A4 for a daily, in hopes to finish the jeep, that didn't happen. I had a bad injury that cost me a lot of money, the audi cost me a lot of money, and the jeep just sat. Started driving again only to discover the head cracked AGAIN...

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Which brings me to the following list of things to do, and i will be doing as much updating as my time will allow.

1 Replace cracked head with Clearwater Reman head (completed 12-17-13)
2 Oil pan gasket, rear main seal, new oil pump
3 AW4 flush and clean, new gasket for the cover as well, NSS cleaning too
4 Same goes for the TC
5 Finish rear axle and install (only parts needed are shafts and gear install/bearing kit)
6 Rear disc conversion with parking brake
7 Paint and rust repair
8 OBA setup for airing up tires and operating factory Rubi air lockers
9 Interior upgrades! rip out everything, replace front seats with Corbeau's, install overhead console with switches for lockers, lights and hidden CB, rear custom storage for trunk area that will hold spares, tools, OBA, probably a subwoofer since i have one in the garage, drain plugs, not sure about carpet or no carpet,
10 Build mid/longarms frame plating
11 Build bumpers, front with hidden winch warn 9.0RC most likely, rear with modular tire carrier, possibly for cut/fold
12 TBD

Finally, i'm glad to be back, i missed the jeep community

Unread 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Gah, nice pictures. Sweet rig.
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Saturday I had off work for a change, so i changed the oil, replaced the front pads and rotors and did a bleed/flush, and fixed the heat that's been broken for 2 years

Unread 09-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

had some rust that need fixing too a while back

Unread 09-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

back when RedZJ helped me swap the axle

Unread 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

JCR Rear 1/4 install

Unread 09-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I remember this Jeep, nice rig and glad to see you back on board with a healthy to do list. Sorry to hear about the injury but its good that you didnt give up and sell the XJ. Keep up the good work!
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
MOBBiN

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Great build so far
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys, can't wait to get the head in and get rid of the Audi, clutch is about to go on that and needs some other things that cost too much, cheaper right now to just finish the XJ so I can daily it again for a little while til I can save up for a proper dailydriver and this can truly be for expedition and trail use only. It'll never be a trailer queen, just want to keep it forever type of rig. It's given me 6 years 130k in the first 5 all lifted.

Been driving it to work the past few days just to run a tank through things and loosen it her up a bit. Noticed I need a new fan clutch, and I get a slight bit of a misfire afters it's been run too long in the hot weather, I remember it doing that after getting wet constantly driving after hurricane Irene. Figure it's gotta be electrical, planned on cleaning all the connections to everything while I'm doing the head and waterproofing everything too.

Unread 09-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

look what showed up today! still need the gaskets, gotta pay rent first and make sure the girlfriend is set for her birthday so i don't get ****

and i got bored and color matched my lebaron vents since the black was cracked anyway and i had a can of the body color in the garage

Unread 09-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
Cowboy_Elvis
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks fantastic, where can I find those rear armor quarter panels, and how difficult was it to install the louvers?
Cowboy_Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #13
AKIQPilot
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Great looking xj V. I love that color. Glad you're back on your feet and back in XJ mode. I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the 331. Wonder why the newer head didn't work for you. Oh well you have a good one now.

Keep up the good work.

[CENTER][URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/AKIQPilot"]My Youtube Channel[/URL][/CENTER]
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy_Elvis View Post
Looks fantastic, where can I find those rear armor quarter panels, and how difficult was it to install the louvers?
they are JCR offroad panels, they've changed them a little, kind wish i had waited and gotten the newer ones but oh well. easy, make a template, and cut, they used some aluminum angle iron and a few nuts and bolts to secure the fit. next chance i get i'll take a picture of the underside

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Great looking xj V. I love that color. Glad you're back on your feet and back in XJ mode. I'm surprised you had so much trouble with the 331. Wonder why the newer head didn't work for you. Oh well you have a good one now.

Keep up the good work.
Thank you, the newer head wasn't TUPY it was an 02, i didn't know better at the time. I love this color too, but the paint is in pretty bad shape, and with the northeast winters i want to repaint within the next year. debating a color change, possibly the new JK green, or Forest service green, or keep it the same.

Unread 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

it snowed the other day. here's a picture. because pictures of it being taken apart are coming up soon.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.