Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

b16gsr build thread 1998 XJ 2 door Sport

31K views 248 replies 25 participants last post by  b16gsr 
#1 ·
After several long months of searching for the right Jeep Cherokee XJ I found one.

I had specific requirements that I was after:
  • Decent miles (130k-160K)
  • Good ownership history with records
  • NO RUST, none not even a trace, no accidents
  • Southeast or west/southwest previous residence
  • Priced within my budget
  • Unique combination or options
  • White or Gunmetal Pearl exterior
  • Non smoker

I was really looking for a XJ Wagoneer and had one found from a collector in Atlanta, we agreed on a price and he forgot to pull the eBay listing and it went for higher than we agreed, so he honored the bid. So the hunt continued. I continued to look for another Wagoneer and added 2 doors to the list.

And then there was one.

• 1998 Cherokee Sport 2 door
  • 153k miles
  • CarFax showed good maintenance history
  • one owner from new in California, moved to Maryland in 2014, no accidents
  • Priced above my budget by a little
  • Its a 2 door Sport with window wings, pretty odd combo, even has working OEM Keyless
  • Gunmetal Pearl
  • Non smoker

Pics from wholesaler.

Pretty much hit the list of wants, outside of the budget. I can handle that. Crazy turn of events as I found it Monday late, called Tuesday early AM and owner said he wasn't sure what he wanted. I made an offer he said no, a couple hours passes and the phone rings. He and I chat some more and he throws out an offer less than I originally offered.

I told him get me some specific info and I ran a CarFax(thank you Dustin Bailey at WK Chevrolet for all the pestering). It all checked out, so I listed it on uShip Tuesday afternoon and got some crazy bids, with crazy timeframes. The I got a message from a company asking what I wanted to spend. I told them and they said they were a couple hours away and if they could pick it up Wednesday morning they would deliver it Thursday (Christmas Eve). Damn talk about short times to get this all done. So Wednesday am comes, I wire the money, dispatch them and they are on the road from Maryland Wednesday afternoon. The stars aligned.

Locked and loaded.

At our lakehouse for the holidays, before it rained.

Interior is clean, don't mind the steering wheel cover, I have a replacement wheel at the shop. Already installed the Rugged Ridge mats, thanks to my brother callie454 for the kick *** Christmas present.

Pinch welds have ZERO rust.

The only exterior issue I can find is the CHEROKEE emblem and 4X4 emblem are missing from the driver side, but shows zero signs of paint repair. And then this. WHY OH WHY.

Following the path of a former build I had some parts already in mind or bought that I would do. It was a 98 Classic.

• 3" Superlift on the way
  • TJ Rubicon MOAB Reps already have
  • 245/75/16 Kanati Mud Hogs already have
  • Rugged Ridge floor and cargo liners (thanks to my brother callie454) already have
  • Side molding delete
  • Full color match, bumpers, caps, flares
  • 35% tint front 3 windows
  • Depo Smoke front signal and corner marker on the way
  • Depo Smoke and clear tail lights on the way
  • Truck Lite LED head lights on the way
  • Oneway LED interior light kit on the way
  • LED bulbs for all exterior lighting on the way
  • LED pods or 7" bars in the OEM fog location
  • KL Cherokee Gunmetal badging on the way
  • Python remote start alarm on the way

Eventually I will load all of my ole school stereo gear in it and buy a Safari Rack.

Thanks for following along.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey another clean 2 door! Looks great man! Here's mine. 97, 4.6 stroker with 60k nv3550 5speed and its on 32s
Your flares fell off. :laugh:

Thank you.

Beautiful! Wish mine, 85K '97, 4 door was a colour other than white!
Almost all my vehicles are white, I am told I have a problem. LOL. I hunted for white forever, just didn't happen.

Couple updates.

Tires arrived and I got them mounted and balanced on the MOAB reps. Tires look very similar to the old style Goodyear MT/R which is what I was after.

I was impressed with the quality of these wheels.

They balanced well, ready to roll.

Tossed the new wiper blades on.

First tank calculation, not bad.

Got our first snow of the season, but cleaned it back up after a drive through the slop into town.

#10 ·
So this past Monday we got some snow. Luckily the XJ delivered on Christmas Eve, so I could park the truck and save it from any salt and snowy weather. Anyhow Monday night rinsed all the filth off the Jeep as I thought the weather was gone, nope came out Tuesday morning to this.

More parts started arriving, so time to hang one of them. As most know the OEM headlights in the XJ are terrible, so after tons of research I decided that the TruckLite full LED replacement housings were needed. I had done HID kits in new housings and full projector retrofit HID in former XJ's, but never was really satisfied so I decided to try these. Albeit spendy, but well worth it after cruising around tonight.

Before

After

Definitely changed the look

Washed her up again after the install

Lows

Highs

No lights

Lows

Highs

I am seriously impressed with these, and would buy them again. Crisp clean light.

Drilled a hole in my driver side Rugged Ridge mat to catch the factory hook

Filled up for the second time, still doing pretty good

#14 ·
Well Happy Birthday to me, this is how I started my day. I had went out and loaded a few things and started the Jeep as it was 20* this morning. I guess since I was shopping eBay for OEM key blanks this morning, I locked myself out.

15 minutes of this and I was able to hit the passenger window switch

Cold enough to freeze the moisture out of the tailpipe

Stopped and got the key blanks

A few more parts trickled in

#15 ·
A couple more updates. Got the door check replaced on the driver side so the door will stay open on its own now.

The old one was destroyed

Next was to replace all the exterior lighting with the new smokes replacements from DEPO and add LED's to all the interior and exterior lighting, except for the stop lights in the rear.

Before and after

LED's are just as bright

Really changed the overall look

Reverse

Turns

I also cancelled the order on the Superlift as it still has not shipped, and I am going to order a different kit with full leaf packs. I have never done a full leaf setup but it is the right thing to do. Either Zone or Rusty's is what I am thinking with Bilstiens.

#16 ·
Zone 3" with full rear leafs, steering stabilizer and shock boots on the way. Ended up with a really fair deal online. Only $270 more than the Superlift AAL kit that I would likely not be satisfied with.

Was rummaging through some of my spare parts and stumbled across these from a few years ago when I was going to build a diesel MJ. They are going up for sale if anyone would like them.

Pretty sure many of us didn't even know these XJ parts existed.

UK Diesel 97-up cluster

Water in fuel and glow plug dash indicator

Really cool one that I could not get the header and buckets from as it was wrecked front, headlamp adjustment switch

#19 ·
Picked up my 5/9 ZJ Hood Vents. Have to get a couple screws and paint when I do the flares.

Got my shorty antenna installed as well.

Have to give major props to Vittore Tire and Wheel. Ordered this on Tuesday and it showed up yesterday.

#22 ·
Who says you can't haul in an XJ? Putting the Ute in SUV.

Needs lifted bad

Also my tint guy made it over, 35% on the front 3.

Laugh all you want at the wheel cover, it needs replaced and I can not find a suitable one.

#28 ·
Finally the weather was warm enough for a good clean up in the driveway after all the weather and crap on the roads. I cannot wait to start on the lift.

Reacquired this gem, but it is not going to work with my new exhaust setup.

#29 ·
Picked up some additional lights from OneWay for another project, have to give props to him for a extremely nice product.

And these amazing pieces landed today from the UK. Can not wait to start on them.

Also thanks to a forum member picked up a far better steering wheel replacement.

#32 ·
On the way home yesterday the airbag light popped on and I lost the gauges.

Thanks to some help from my brother from another mother callie454 we found out that even after a cluster reset I still had the issue. He did a quick search and found the thread about the pins on the cluster getting corrosion and needing cleaned. I figured today would be the perfect day for addressing. We were supposed to get a dusting of snow and I came out to see this.

Got it cleaned off and made my way to the garage for some work. Figured I would do my steering wheel while I was in there.

Got it all cleaned up, reinstalled and I moved onto the steering wheel......

This is the beautiful wheel the Jeep came with compliments of a great wheel cover.

Someone was hungry......

Although not perfect this one is good. Got it cleaned up and loaded with the controls.

Then I headed to O'Reilly to borrow the wheel remover. Decided since it is 6* out to just take my tools with me and just do it there.

Going back together

All done

#47 ·
On the way home yesterday the airbag light popped on and I lost the gauges.

Common problem with our generation Jeep. Even after cleaning the contacts and using dialectric grease on the connection pins, this "problem" will show up on my Jeep from time to time. Usually when it is really cold. Anyway, I usually just push on the cluster or the dash around it and it will start working again.

#42 ·
And here it is.

She's lifted and tired now. Have a slight driveline noise so I snagged a Rugged Ridge SYE.

How I started, soaked all the bolts for a few hours

Using all the tools I had, lol

Everything came apart very easily.

Went back together with tons of anti seize to make sure future disassembly is easy

The front took no time

Also decided more light was needed

Finished up late last night

Washed off first thing this morning, center caps arrived this am

#45 ·
Thanks to Sandog and his crew, I stopped on the way home and got it all lined up. Decided it is going to need drop pitman and a HD steering setup, as well as a set of LCAs to correct the caster. Drives tons better after the alignment though.

His a whopping 155000 miles on the way home, still running like a top.

Tidied up all the underhood wiring for the remote start/alarm and fogs and got them all wired up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.