Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

AW4 Transmission Adapter Removal

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  paparker21 
#1 ·
Anyone got tips on how to get the output adapter off an AW4? In case i'm not using the correct term, it's the adapter between the transmission bell housing and the transfer case, to which the transmisison mount bolts. I'm having lots of trouble with top two right bolts - not enough room for a wrench to turn, not enough headroom for a socket or socket+wobble. I'm going to try and pick up some crows feet tomorrow but i'm not entirely sure that's going to get it either.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Support the transmission with a jack and remove the cross member. Lower the jack enough to get more room. Keep an eye in the engine bay that the valve cover does not smash the firewall or the fan hits the radiator.

#3 ·
That's pretty much where I am now and I just don't have space to spin the wrench. Problem is, when I do get positioned where I can turn the wrench, I end up lifting the whole trans before the bolt brakes loose. I think I'm going to have to use the crows foot after bolting it to the cross member to hold the transmission steady.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.