aw4 or ax-15? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > aw4 or ax-15?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
JSR12
1993 XJ Cherokee 

aw4 or ax-15?

Hi everybody!

A little background: 1993 xj, 4.0, ax-15, np-231. Basically stock DD/ hunting rig but I still like to go out and play in it sometimes.

My xj started its life out with an aw4 and it handled great off road but it started slipping (pushing 300k at the time so it wasn't unexpected). I prefer manuals and it being a DD i figured i'd make the swap. Now that I've had a chance to play around with both transmissions off road i absolutely love the manual and i dont think i could go back. But...

I've read a lot of posts on here from people who say they don't/didn't like their ax-15 or other manual trans xj off road. Not looking to start an argument or anything I was just a little bored and wondering if there was anyone else out there like me? Or if not tell me why iI'm always curious to hear about other peoples experiences

JSR12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

In the end it comes down to personal preference.

An auto is generally considered "better" off-road due to the "infinitely-low" crawl-ratio effect of the torque-converter that allows for very low speeds without stalling or burning out the clutch, though in 1st. on the AX-15 with the transfer-case in 4L you can go pretty slow without slipping the clutch, but you will likely need to use 4L more often because of this. The torque-converter also helps to reduce shock-loading of the driveline (especially if a wheel gets stuck) reducing the chances of breaking a u-joint, axle shaft, etc..

It all comes down to what you like. It is also worth noting that a manual in a truck/SUV is very different than the manuals in most cars (at least modern ones), throws are much longer, less direct, etc. Some people that love driving manual cars hate manuals in trucks/SUVs for this reason, though the AX-15 isn't bad as some, it certainly isn't a crisp short-throw unit like you would find in a sports car, modern muscle car, etc..
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #3
JSR12
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for bringing a little technical info to the discussion.

As for SUV/trucks being different I agree but I kind of prefer that I pretty much learned to drive stick in an old f-100 with an SROD 4-speed so maybe thats where my preferences come from.
JSR12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
nicco196

In My own personal opinion the ax15 is a great transmission on and off road. And definitely off-roading with any manual trans can be a little harder than an auto. If an ax15 is well maintained you'll get a lot of life out of it. One of the main problems people have with the ax15 is synchronizers going bad. And people don't know how the went bad so quick. The ax15 calls for GL3 but the don't make GL3 anymore. And Chrysler says use GL4. GL4 is Sulfur based. The synchros in the ax15 are brass. Sulfur eats brass. The best thing for it is a heavy weight gear oil safe for yellow metals. I've always run Penzoil Synchromesh in My ax15s. And they shift great. If you live somewhere more prone to cold weather Redline Mt-90 stands up to colder weather a little better. But I'm in SC so it doesn't usually get to cold. Hope this helps
nicco196 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Swapped to an AX-15 and love it. I have never been a fan of automatics.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

An AX15 with the 3.54 gears of an automatic's axle is probably a lot better than with the 3.07s they came with.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
937Comanche
1991 MJ Comanche 

An AW4 with a manual control option ( either home brew or raddesigns) works very well. I have wheeled both and the auto is much easier but I can't say it gave me any more ability.

Tags
aw4 , ax15

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.