Auto to Manual Swap-Parts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Auto to Manual Swap-Parts

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
chrisshreves

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Auto to Manual Swap-Parts

I have been thinking about swapping my '99 XJ from an AW-4 to an AX-15. I have thought about this for about a year now, and I still want to do it as bad as I did on day one, so I think this is what I truly want to do with my Jeep. I found a guy locally today who has owned 32 different Cherokee's, and has done about everything that could be thought of to them. In his garage, he had a driveline that he would sell me for $1,000 after I talked him down. It had an AX-15 (around 90k), bell housing, front and rear driveshafts, new clutch, rod, and pedal assembly, along with a few other things.

My main question here is $1,000 a reasonable price for these parts? I thought it seemed high, but then again, around here, an AX-15 is rare, the pedal assembly is even more rare, and MT driveshafts are like finding an honest politician, and they are traded like gold.

What are all of your thoughts and questions??

chrisshreves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
96xjKing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

As far as the parts go it sounds like almost everything if not everything is there, however i dont know everything so i could be wrong.Around here is the same way with the manual trans xj's , their rare an hard to find, I found a red one last week with 235k miles on the drivetrain an the guy was asking 3400 for all of it, but it looked well taken care of also . To me it sounds pretty decent price wise but maybe somebody on here knows for sure if everything's there for the swap? I'd do it but ma pockets are dry at the moment
96xjKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I did the swap on my 95. I got the tranny and pedals and everything for $500. you can get a front drive shaft on ebay for like 70 bucks. I just bought one for my comanche about a month ago. I made a list of most of the parts. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...-swap-1533531/. hopefully that will give you an idea of what you need.
Is that AX-15 your looking at an internal slave, or external? you are going to want an external setup. Mine was an internal and then I bought the bell housing and everything to turn it into an external. it was probably an extra 300 bucks to swap it over.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
chrisshreves

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you both for the information. I think I will look into just exactly what this guy has and possibly buy it, although ive never done a job like this. It kind of intimidates me.

Im not sure if its internal or external, I will ask. I know he said the pedals were out of a 95, then modified to fit a 98 and used in them for awhile then pulled out of the 98, so I would think they would fit my 99. He also recomended I keep my current tcase, np242, instead of installing a np231 like many say to do. Im not sure what go do there either. And also I dont think he has a crossmember, are they hard to get? I know he has a bellhousing.
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
slickfreeze
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It it is a ton of work and frustration to do the swap. you will run into all sorts of unseen problems. Read through my thread I linked so you will know all the little stuff you need. For instance, the transfer case linkage and bracket are different on the manual. I had to build my own because I couldnt find a manual linkage. And they dont make inner shift boots for cherokee anymore(atleast for the older model) So I ended up having to use one made for a TJ. Thats just an example of all the small things you will run into that I didnt even think of till I started putting everything back together.

And the crossmember is the same for the manual and auto. There is an adapter plate the bolts to the bottom of the manual that bridges the gap so it bolts in the same place as the auto. I have a picture of it in that thread.
I have heard the 231 is stronger than the 242, but I have not looked into it too much since I already had the 231. And something else to think about, since you have OBDII you will have to either find a manual computer, or send yours in to be reflashed to a manual.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

"ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy
slickfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
chrisshreves

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think I will find out in the next few days just exactly what he has, and then get back to you to see if its even the right parts for the swap. Thanks in advance!

Tags
aw-4 , ax-15 , conversion , manual , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.