audio upgrade advice needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > audio upgrade advice needed

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
jeepjunkie97

audio upgrade advice needed

hey y'all got my first jeep recently and my first investment will be the audio. stock radio is rather embarrassing and the front two speakers are shot. I was thinking about getting a pioneer 50 watt by 4 channel radio which is all fine and dandy but i want nice bass too. there are 2way speakers and 5 ways, whats the difference? and if i wanted to get subs would i need an amp? if so how much power is too much? thanks for the help!

jeepjunkie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
TheFryer
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i would stick with 2 way speakers in the front and back, also, get a decent or good head unit/radio. the last thing you want is a cheap radio, the sound coming out of it will not be that good. if you do get sub's you will need a good box made for the subs and an amplifier. i have a nice radio, 1 amp for my mids/highs and one mono block amp pushing 2 12" subs.. it is nice, clean and loud. i can rattle things in my house with i crank it up in the driveway. i would recommend setting a decent budget though. like overall what your wanting to spend. you can get a decent radio for 75/100$ and some nice pioneer 2 way speakers from walmart for 30.00 a set, and they have good clean sound. i do not recommend sony though. i brought back both sets i bought last time. they sound like crap. if you want to get subs and an amp you will need a higher budget, but i can find you a nice setup for them. just have to know a price range of what your willing to spend.
TheFryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
jeepjunkie97

Perfect advice, exactly what I needed! I was willing to spend 100 for a pioneer radio, 30-50 speakers, I didn't do much research on subs, but just 2 12 's, probably around 100 if that's possible? And the amp I know nothing about. If you could just find a setup similar, or same to yours and private message me or soemthing and talk about a price that'd be awesome
jeepjunkie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
TheFryer
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i would recommend going to a local car audio shop with a display, there you can hear different radios, and speakers on a display to see if you like it or what head unit sounds good with what speakers. walmart has a display as well.

as for subs and an amp, if you want good mid to lower bass i would say go with a set of 10's. most require less space and if you use the back hatch area you will want the room, if you don't use it like me and want loud mid to deep low bass than go with 12's. most boxes will fit nice and still gives you room for the spare. anything over a 12" will mean a bigger box and no room. i paid 60.00 total for both mine, they are cheap Dual sd12's from walmart, i thought they would be crap but have surprised me. and a sheet of MDF 5/8 inch think to make my box was almost 40$. if you know how to build a box it is worth it, if not have a friend who can help you out with it. a custom box will sound better and be louder than a pre biult, this is because speakers require a serton amount of room in the box. to little and you can over heat the speakers and fry them, to much and they can bottom out and blow, so it is best to have the right size as it will sound the best and keep them running longer.

amp's, this is one of the fun parts. first you find speakers then you have to find an amp that will match them {RMS and max power, and ohms}. the hard part is finding the true power of an amp. now days they rate amps poorly. you get what you pay for when you buy one. it would be over 100 for an ok amp, and you will have to have one if your going to run subs. it is also better to have an amp that puts out a little more power than you need, this way your not running it full out when you crank up the music, this will keep the amp cooler and not stress it as much and make it last longer.
TheFryer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.