Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Attaching Interior Panel to Liftgate on 1991 Jeep Cherokee Briarwood...

969 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Modstock 
#1 ·
Hi all,

First of all, happy new year! It's been awhile since I posted here.

I recently had to replace the rear speakers on my 91' Cherokee Briarwood.

When I took the interior panel off some of the clips broke. So I looked at various auto parts stores to find replacement clips, tried some and wound up returning them. I even went to a jeep dealer and they sold me some that should be compatible but they didn't work. Finally, another jeep dealer found the ones I need but they are $2 a clip. I will probably need $20 dollars worth. I realize that if I buy these and need to get to the speakers later, they are probably going to break when I take the panel off again.

So I'm wondering if there is a better way to attach it, I was thinking of using velcro. Maybe some of you encountered the same problem? I would appreciate some suggestions.

#3 ·
I'm familiar with the problem. Worse than braking those clips/pins is having the panel itself break where the clip attaches--can't fix that with a new clip. The one and only time I removed my liftgate panel, I broke a few clips, some were simply worn-out to the point of not working properly anymore, and some actually broke the "anchor point" on the back of the interior panel itself.

I might think a place like TeamCherokee would sell you proper ones...maybe, but they've proven themselves to be a pretty piss-poor place to deal with (I have a thread on my experience with them), and the price would probably be a rip-off. I like your idea of velcro, and I'm disappointed in myself for not thinking of it. With enough attachment points and some quality velcro, I can see that working fairly well for at least the interior liftgate panel. For that panel, I've also thought about simply putting some screws through it at the four corners--trim screws or something not too aesthetically offensive.

#4 ·
I'm familiar with the problem. Worse than braking those clips/pins is having the panel itself break where the clip attaches--can't fix that with a new clip. The one and only time I removed my liftgate panel, I broke a few clips, some were simply worn-out to the point of not working properly anymore, and some actually broke the "anchor point" on the back of the interior panel itself.

I might think a place like TeamCherokee would sell you proper ones...maybe, but they've proven themselves to be a pretty piss-poor place to deal with (I have a thread on my experience with them), and the price would probably be a rip-off. I like your idea of velcro, and I'm disappointed in myself for not thinking of it. With enough attachment points and some quality velcro, I can see that working fairly well for at least the interior liftgate panel. For that panel, I've also thought about simply putting some screws through it at the four corners--trim screws or something not too aesthetically offensive.
Thanks guys for your input!

I think I'm going to order about a dozen of those clips from the dealer anyway. I found out that they sell them for about $1.75 each. I plan to use them sparingly, mainly at the corners so if I ever have to take it off it's easier and I will have some spare ones just in case they break again.

I am not sure if the velcro idea would work, I would definitely have to get some tough velcro to hold it in place - the panel is light enough so it is a possibility.

#5 ·
If you end-up securing the panel in the four corners only, consider sticking some foam or something similar to contact areas in the center to prevent it rattling against the liftgate.

#7 ·
As many of the attachment points broke off of the panel itself, mine is not attached with all of the clips, so I have fewer to line-up. It was a bit of a pain, but I got it. I've done so many audio installations that interior panels don't phase me too much anymore--they all have their quirks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.