Around 10k to build and buy an xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Around 10k to build and buy an xj

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 07-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
DrChilliWillie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Around 10k to build and buy an xj

Im selling my subaru wrx which i bought after selling my tj... i regret selling that thing everyday... But i wanna get in the xj game as there bigger and would be a better only car then a tj. First i plan to buy an xj for around 2 to 4k which would leave me with 6k to put in it at the least. I wanna do a 5 to 6 inch lift on 33s or 35s depending on which is best. Lockers front and rear i wanna go with ox lockers the cable actuated ones. What do u guys think would be best to build the best most capable rig possible with this money? Thanks for the input.. im ready to get back to wheelin

DrChilliWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #2
TylerU
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to hear you wanna be back for action.
I'll stay away from 35s unless on a Dana 44, just don't feel too certain on a dana39, esp doing some hardcore crawling.
Damn 10k is plenty to build...
TylerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Silly question, but, how tall are you?
6"/33" takes quite a big step to get into (at least it is for me at 5'8" )
How was your TJ set up?
Anyway...
Unless you upgrade the axles, 33" tires with lockers is probably as big as you should go.
At 6+" you should probably go long arm...
At 33" you would want 4.56 or 4.88 ( I went 4.56 and wish I did 4.88)
So:
$1800 for a pair of OX lockers
$1200 for tires and rims
$600 for gears
$1500 to $2000 for the lift
$600 for SYE / Dbl Cardan shaft
$??? on upgraded steering (High steer, heavy duty parts, etc)
$??? for skid plates and tow points (Must Haves!)
$???? for good bumpers
$??? freshening up the tune-up parts and fluids
Labor (so you have someone else to blame when things go wrong): Priceless

And expect 11 MPG "city"
Or keep it stock height, get good tires, armor and one locker; you'll get "good" MPG and save your back
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

As a guy who went from an XJ to an Excursion to a WRX back to an XJ in 18 months....

Welcome back!
Unread 07-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #5
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

$10k is plenty. That's what I did originally. Bumpers, recovery, rims/tires, lift,SYE & DS, plus all maintenance that was req'd.

Later I did air lockers, 4.56 gears,Hp D30 & Chr 8.25/29 spline swap.

If I had to do it over, I'd go with the same height 5.5"+/-, but do long arms right away, upgrade shocks (bilstien). And go 35's along with axle upgrades if needed.

OX lockers were my second option, but ether the actuators on the diff cover, that concerned me. I did like the fact that they were manual vs the air/electric...

Post up Picts & such when you get going.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
jeepster383

If you go long arms and over 4 inches of lift you need to adress the steering. When you flex or get the front axle off the ground (from jumping) the tie rod end at the pitman arm canot take the extreme angle and will bind up. I had a cherokee on the lift the other day and when the suspension was hangin in the air that tie rod end was maxed out.
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
DrChilliWillie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

@sAe23 im 5'4 lol but that never stopped me from much im 20 years old ill lunch my little *** in there haha also my tj that i built was high and that was a struggle at times. I wanna do a long arm kit and yea i was planning to buy an xj with a dana 44 in the back already and swap on into the front if i went the 35s route. I want the thing to stand out so im really leaning on the 35s route and in my opinion over time a set with 35s would be the way to go. On my tj way back i had 33s that thing was a ****ing beast but i did catch myself at times wishing i went for bigger... @wizardPC ive had the wrx for less then 3 months.... cant keep myself out of a jeep lol
Unread 07-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
jeepjunkie97

How comes you two got rid of wrx's? To me they've always seen like a sporty, fast, but expensive ride? As they go most people don't take them offroad but I still thought it'd be a really fun car to DD
jeepjunkie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 01:28 PM   #9
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It was a fun car.

But I got ZERO RESPECT in it. Got yelled at for "flying" through a parking lot....at 4mph. Got pushed into oncoming traffic by more minivans than I care to remember. Flipped off for passing people who were going 10mph under the speed limit. And my favorite: Brake checked by the guy who runs a stop sign to get in front of you.

It got old fast. I'm 34 with a white beard and a toddler in the back. Haven't gotten a ticket in over 10 years. I don't need that ****.

The next time I get a car like that, it's going to be a Lancer Evo that I swap regular Lancer body parts onto so its a sleeper.
Unread 07-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
jeepjunkie97

Oooo she was a clean one! Being a 17 I'm always amazed by fast, loud things... Kinda wanted a subbie but they're expensive now....
Unread 07-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
axlaxl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
And expect 11 MPG "city"
+1 on that. 2000 XJ with 2" lift and 30"s with decent 20mpg Hwy, but alas, i'm happy to get 13mpg City and when I say city I mean city as in Brooklyn NYC.

Oh and I feel you on the sleeper Evo. Recently "de-agressified" my 02 Miata to a pure base body. But under the hood is a different story. 13psi of boost off an Eaton SC turning around 230+ rwhp at under 2200lbs of curb weight. Street legal go karting is fun.
img_0562.jpg  
axlaxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
DrChilliWillie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The respect thing haha. in my jeep i got all the respect and all the girls lol. thought it would be the same in the subi but nope all i get is yelled at..... mines fast as hell close to 300hp on a protune for e85 but its slammed and anyone with a slammed car knows going down the street to just go to the store can be a real pain i scrape on speed bumps lol... i was also quite the wheeler in my tj and i really miss that and ill be going to arizona in 5 months to go to uti and i really wanna touch the off roading there.
Unread 07-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
jeepjunkie97

That miata is meann but I love anything with big turbos and loud wastegates throwing flames. Speaking of which I found a jeep with a Garrett's turbo, YouTube it. Shots fired!!
Unread 07-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing in the world sounds better than a turbo spooling up.

Nothing.
Unread Yesterday, 12:26 AM   #15
DrChilliWillie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i was thinking about getting an f250 or an f350 for that reason lol they sound like jet engines. and ive seen the jeep witht eh garretts turbo its hella dope.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.