ARB Old Man Emu Lift kits vs Others - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > ARB Old Man Emu Lift kits vs Others

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
RestoringDadsCJ
1946 CJ2A 

ARB Old Man Emu Lift kits vs Others

Ok the ARB Lift Kits and Accessories really catch my eye, I really get the idea that they are good quality products, but are they really worth the money, I mean $900 for a 1.5" or 2" lift really when other companies have 3 or 4" lifts for the same money. What do you guys think, I just wanna know im making a good decision when I buy my first lift kit for my xJ

RestoringDadsCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Put it this way. You never hear people complaining about their Old Man Emu suspension but you constantly hear how Rough Country owners "got a lot for the money and have great customer service". I don't know if ARB has customer service because I never have to call.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ome lifts are well worth the money. They perform and ride great. Majority of all expedition build rigs run ome lifts . If you want a taller lift you can get a ome hybrid lift from dpg offroad. Once i buy a cj7 I plan on doing a Yj spring conversion and run ome springs on it. When I worked at 4wheel parts I had to call arb often and they have excellent customer service

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
Put it this way. You never hear people complaining about their Old Man Emu suspension but you constantly hear how Rough Country owners "got a lot for the money and have great customer service". I don't know if ARB has customer service because I never have to call.
Beat me to it.

I've never heard a bad thing about OME.

I did, however, piece together the kit on my own... Saved about $200 and I got free shipping from Quadratec for all the big stuff. (call 'em and say you're a member on JF)...
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
MCObray

Ah yes, I absolutely love my OME lift. I accidentally ordered the the "light duty" lift kit, but I opted not to return simply because I was impatient. The ordering mistake was my fault, fyi. Anywho, I payed $851 for the complete kit + OME steering stabiliser from 4WD with 5% off and free shipping. The front sat a wee-bit taller than the rear, as seen here with LT235/75/15s:

I countered by adding OME D22-XL AALs, which lifted up the rear .5" higher than the front. 30x9.5x15s.

The ride quality is absolutely superb. I went with OME because i'm more into traversing several hundred miles dirt roads, rather than rock crawling. If I was going to do more crawling, I would have went with Rubicon Express and Bilsteins... but that's another story. My XJ is my DD and far-exceeds my need for comfort- considering the vehicle is 10+ years old and has solid axles. You surely won't be disappointed if you happen to drop the coin for OME. The quality is second to none. The only time I had to call ARB is to figure out which leaf spring and coils goes on which side (+ or - symbol on said suspension components), and the customer service was great.
Here I am completely loaded with RTT up top, 2 bikes with Yakima on the back, and the rear of the vehicle completely loaded to the brim. The more weight, the better the ride.
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
RestoringDadsCJ
1946 CJ2A 

SO what was your OME Lift 1.5" and are you happy with the light duty, I dont plan on doing any rock crawling like my brother, but the off road park we go to Dirty Turtle has some steep grades, and dense wooded areas and decent creeks to go through, Would you say the OME 1.5" is better than a 3" Rubicon or equivelent. Plus my XJ is my daily driver also
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoringDadsCJ View Post
SO what was your OME Lift 1.5" and are you happy with the light duty, I dont plan on doing any rock crawling like my brother, but the off road park we go to Dirty Turtle has some steep grades, and dense wooded areas and decent creeks to go through, Would you say the OME 1.5" is better than a 3" Rubicon or equivelent. Plus my XJ is my daily driver also
If you do go OME, get the heavy duty. They ride great and it's just added piece of mind without too much extra $$$
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
MCObray

Quote:
My lift came out to 2" in the front and 2.5" in the rear. I am beyond happy with my set up, no regrets. Really, that's up to you decide. Either way, OME or Rubicon Express, I think you'll be all right. As far as quality goes, I would have to side with OME, but I am pretty bias and have never used Rubicon Express. I absolutely love ARB stuff and won't use any other brand when it comes to suspension components.

Edit: Yes, good point HurricanRZA. If you do go OME, go Heavy Duty and Medium at worse. With Heavy Duty, you'll have piece of mind when you add front & rear bumpers, rock sliders, ect. And don't think you won't add that stuff, because it's only a matter a time!
Unread 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoringDadsCJ
As far a quality ome is better than re. You have to question what do you want to do with your jeep in the future. How big of a tire do you want to run...... Re quality is great but not as good as OME . I mainly go rock crawling in my Xj so I run a RE 3.5" bilstein shocks and 33's with lots of armor and I still got 4.25 from the front and 4.5" lift in the rear with re it is under rated. where ome is more true.

Unread 09-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
RestoringDadsCJ
1946 CJ2A 

Well my XJ is my daily driver that im trying to build into a capable off roader I can drive to the off road park and drive home along with the occassional road trip. The OME heavy duty makes me nervous is because I bought a heavy duty set for my 1999 Land Rover Discovery II, and the damn thing rode like a ox cart, when id hit a small bump or bigger it would rock me hard..lol
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestoringDadsCJ
Well my XJ is my daily driver that im trying to build into a capable off roader I can drive to the off road park and drive home along with the occassional road trip. The OME heavy duty makes me nervous is because I bought a heavy duty set for my 1999 Land Rover Discovery II, and the damn thing rode like a ox cart, when id hit a small bump or bigger it would rock me hard..lol
Call up arb and find the spring rates for their springs. I know that the ome hd leafs have a softer rate when in loaded then their light duty springs but loaded down they had a stiffer rate

Unread 09-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
From having owned the OME medium duty leaf springs they are almost too soft, I added the OME AAL to make it a heavy duty pack and it was perfect. People always would comment on how smooth it would ride on and off road.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
biggn235
DAS Man

2005 WK 

Regardless of whatever you get from OME (heavy, medium, light) I can guarantee it will ride better than any budget brand. My medium duty springs feel like air ride compared to my stiff Rough Country lift I had on my previous XJ. For a daily, I recommend OME. If it is an off road toy I would say any full leaf pack would be fine.

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ
biggn235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
RestoringDadsCJ
1946 CJ2A 

Well thanks guys all this helps me out a lot, I was kinda leaning towards the other brands for bang for the buck, but since its a xj with 220,000 miles on all stock suspension but since its my driver im going to go with the 1.5" ARB suspension system with the ARB Steering Stabilizer, do the springs come with rubber bushings? and any other hardware I need to replace while doing to swap while im there?
Unread 09-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #15
raypla
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've been running my OME suspension for 7 years, It's been my DD for 80+K. OME designs suspension "systems" as opposed to "lifts". All of there components are designed to work together.

I believe it is the best way to go, and provides a nice platform to build off of.
99 XJ 4.0 D30 29sp 8.25, IRO TB & HD Tie Rod, Kellys WIP main 5 wires 1AWG http://www.kelleyswip.com/price.html, Banks header, Stainless Magnaflow catback, cat, 2" OME lift, JC1B Leafs, OME sports, JKS discos, 30X9.5X15 BFG AT's, Fastman 62mmTB, Cibie E-codes with 55/60 Osram bulbs, Putco harness=JUNK!!, Alpine 7563 Deck, PWX 10" Cubby, JBL GTI 180.2 400wX1 rms, 6.5 Infinity Perfects , front PWX 6.5, Infinity ref amp 111wX4 rms, Optima Yellow, 100 sqft of http://store.secondskinaudio.com/damplifier/
raypla is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.