anywhere in new york to wheel????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > anywhere in new york to wheel?????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Reply
Unread 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
98xjcherokee98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 14
anywhere in new york to wheel?????

I'm from central ny and the is.not really anywhere to go off road like 4x4 parks or anything so does anyone know where I could go????

98xjcherokee98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Callelle
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Attica, NY
Posts: 300
Rausch Creek is where my club usually ventures. NY is pretty cruddy for wheeling.
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
xjknight
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 133
NYS is one of the worst states as far as public wheeling access goes.. There are clubs across the state that have there own private owned stuff that do open to the public a few days a year.. Off the top of my head as far as public parks go there is www.whisperingpineshideaway.com in lyons ny. Somewhere north of albany is a place called metowee offroad park. There is also a new park that is a work in progress that just opened in I think sufolk county. Of course in winter if you got any seasonal limited access roads those can be fun but you got to find them.. So yeah like Callelle said its pretty bleak.. the greenies have made sure that we got next to nothing so those in nys are forced if they can afford it will head to PA which is very wheeling friendly with plenty of offroad parks and public land trails and other sourounding states that have places to wheel. Of course not everyone has a money tree and can't afford to go to pa once or twice a month which is why illegal wheeling is sadly so big in nys. I hate illegal wheeling so much yet at the same time I have to sit back and understand that not everyone wants to spend a few hundred dollars on a weekend in PA..

Your in central ny.. Join up here.. lots of good people in that club and keep an eye on what there up to.. never a good idea to wheel alone and best to know who is around you
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
CF: Begrüßen Sie Hitler.. WF: Самый прекрасный коммунизм.. Pirate4x4: Oh Canada.. JF: Fail Rated
xjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Millermagic
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 1,889
What part of central ny? We've got a great jeep club around the Syracuse / Utica / Rome areas - check out cnyjeep.org ...
__________________
2000 XJ - 3.5'' Lift & Skinny Mudders.
Previous: A CJ, Few TJs and JK.
Millermagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Callelle
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Attica, NY
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjknight View Post
NYS is one of the worst states as far as public wheeling access goes.. There are clubs across the state that have there own private owned stuff that do open to the public a few days a year.. Off the top of my head as far as public parks go there is www.whisperingpineshideaway.com in lyons ny. Somewhere north of albany is a place called metowee offroad park. There is also a new park that is a work in progress that just opened in I think sufolk county. Of course in winter if you got any seasonal limited access roads those can be fun but you got to find them.. So yeah like Callelle said its pretty bleak.. the greenies have made sure that we got next to nothing so those in nys are forced if they can afford it will head to PA which is very wheeling friendly with plenty of offroad parks and public land trails and other sourounding states that have places to wheel. Of course not everyone has a money tree and can't afford to go to pa once or twice a month which is why illegal wheeling is sadly so big in nys. I hate illegal wheeling so much yet at the same time I have to sit back and understand that not everyone wants to spend a few hundred dollars on a weekend in PA..

Your in central ny.. Join up here.. lots of good people in that club and keep an eye on what there up to.. never a good idea to wheel alone and best to know who is around you
Whispering pines is fun but it's really small. It's primarily a place for trophy hunters with some 4 wheeling trails as a side thought. It's not bad for a small little day trip but definitely not a place to go for a weekend. No rocks either >.>
Callelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Millermagic
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
Whispering pines is fun but it's really small. It's primarily a place for trophy hunters with some 4 wheeling trails as a side thought. It's not bad for a small little day trip but definitely not a place to go for a weekend. No rocks either >.>
I almost went on a club run to whispering pines. I just can't afford to drop the $200 or so to do it. I'm looking at almost $50 in gas to get out there, $40 to wheel for the day, lodging/camping, etc, food ...

All comes out to more than I make!
__________________
2000 XJ - 3.5'' Lift & Skinny Mudders.
Previous: A CJ, Few TJs and JK.
Millermagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
xjknight
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Seneca, NY
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callelle View Post
Whispering pines is fun but it's really small. It's primarily a place for trophy hunters with some 4 wheeling trails as a side thought. It's not bad for a small little day trip but definitely not a place to go for a weekend. No rocks either >.>
Meh your right small and if dry a stock 4x4 can do it.. if it's wet or covered in snow though thats when it can be of a challenge.. But yeah basically some trails in the woods that are "legal". And your right with the exception of a small pebble section nothing there rock wise if that is what your into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
I almost went on a club run to whispering pines. I just can't afford to drop the $200 or so to do it. I'm looking at almost $50 in gas to get out there, $40 to wheel for the day, lodging/camping, etc, food ...

All comes out to more than I make!
Comming from syracuse it is only a day trip so you can take lodging out of your equation. 25 bucks for driver/vehcile and 5 bucks per passenger. I know when I use to go id budget about 100 bucks for gas, food, entry.. Sometimes it cost less then that once or twice it cost a little more..

Living where we live and not having a money tree legally it is at least my only option or was.
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
CF: Begrüßen Sie Hitler.. WF: Самый прекрасный коммунизм.. Pirate4x4: Oh Canada.. JF: Fail Rated
xjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
rugsucka
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sumware Inn, Ontario
Posts: 2,562
We have very good wheeling just inside the border up here in Canuckistan - Good trails about 2-3 hours from Syracuse.
Trails will be opening in about a month after things firm up a bit more.

My father lives in Cicero now- he's my Lower 48 shipping destination. I make the trip up and down I81 at least once every month or so - in fact I may be down Easter Weekend to pick up some control arms and a bunkbed.
__________________
'00 XJ - Somewhat modified
'01 Venture - high mileage, paid for, shut it
rugsucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #9
egodfrey
Web Wheeler
 
egodfrey's Avatar
1998 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Whitney Point, NY
Posts: 3,172
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocs-...41397769208317

Not sure how good it will be, but Rocs trails will be opening soon in wurtsburo ny.
__________________
This space reserved for future cool stuff

DO NOT DO WORK WITH DRAKEN OFFROAD IN NY!!!
(also known as dragons garage in Oneonta NY)
egodfrey is online now   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.