Anyway to do a custom headliner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Anyway to do a custom headliner?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-22-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
GettingDirty
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Anyway to do a custom headliner?

Is there anyway to buy a cool looking fabric (say, from Wal-mart), and make my own custom headliner? Anybody ever done this, how and what all did you use to make it?

GettingDirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yep

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/.../Headliner.htm

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Take is slow, and be VERY even in the application of the glue. Mine looks terrible, but it's not in your face.
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm holding out for some old Star Wars sheets before I do mine

Unread 12-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
chigg84
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Get enough fabric to allow 3-4 inches on the under side and use 3-M spray adhesive work slow and be sure to pull it tight to avoid wrinkles and you should have no problems.
Unread 12-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
p2000sk
2000 XJ Cherokee 

3M all the way, don't use too much or it will bleed through. I tried it on my old 88 XJ and worked ok. I used a squeegee and pressed lightly. Get some friends and have fun.
p2000sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
dan2001xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Patience and don't go cheap and use a generic alternative for 3M, you get what you pay for.
Unread 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
jsc7002
1966 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chigg84 View Post
Get enough fabric to allow 3-4 inches on the under side and use 3-M spray adhesive work slow and be sure to pull it tight to avoid wrinkles and you should have no problems.
X2, I changed my tan headliner to a black suede headliner, but make sure you have enough material to overlap at least 2" all the way around, I would do 3 or 4" if I did it again, use a lot of glue mine didnt bleed through, but that could be bc of the material and pull it tight but not too tight, just a tight enough that you dont have any wrinkles

oh and take lots of pics!
Unread 01-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #9
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I did one. Thread link:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/new-headliner-installed-sitting-under-grandmas-couch-645717-post6393005/
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
rit.05
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I just finished mine. I got sick of the headliner getting my hair all staticy on the way to work. (It wasn't a problem until the weather got cold and I put the fishing rods in the garage for the winter.)

I spent about $50 and 2 hours. I used the 3M Super 77 spray adhesive (2 cans) and applied it liberally. I bought headliner fabric from a fabric store. It came 54" wide and I bought 3 yards which left me enough to do the visors. The headliner fabric has a foam backing which turned out to be a huge help in a wrinkle free install.

I also added some FatMat sound deadener/heat shield to the roof before I put the headliner back in. So far it is much, much quieter inside. Hopefully it will dampen some of the wind noise from my 'yak. I dropped about $30 for 25 sq ft on Eb@y. Simple install, just cut it into manageble squares and press/roll it onto the metal.

Couple tips:
1. Definitely use the headliner fabric, the foam forms a better bond with the adhesive(and I don't want to do this every year...)

2. Use lots of glue on BOTH surfaces. Let it tack for a minute and have a buddy nearby to help you lay it onto the backer board.

3. I used Liquid Stitch where the fabric overlapped onto the back. The lady at the fabric store said it was the best adhesive for any type of porous surface. I didn't use it on the whole thing because I was afraid of some bleeding. From what I saw, it didn't bleed through where I used it, though.
Unread 01-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
00rt
2008 WK 

Make sure your backer board is in good shape too. Mine was all busted up and uneven so the fabric showed all those imperfections. My XJ is a beater and I don't care what the interior looks like as long as the headliner isn't sittingh on my head, so I did it the cheapest way I could. I bought a black bed sheet, a jar of contact cement, and a box of those brass paper fasteners:

I covered the whole thing with the cement, put down the sheet, put the fasteners all along the edge where they're hidden by the trim, and painted some more of the fasteners black and put them every few feet in the middle. It looks like crap, but it's not on my head and it doesn't have condensation like a bare roof, so it's good with me. Oh, and it was $18.XX total.
00rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
cmunson1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Headline Board

Can anybody suggest an alternate material for the backer board? My jeep didn't have one when I bought it. Fabric was stretched side to side and glued.

Is the stock one cardboard or some other material?

Thanks
cmunson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

HAs anybody done a headliner with a factory sunroof? Iv been thinking of fixing mine but with the sunroof im hesitant to tear it apart
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmunson1 View Post
Can anybody suggest an alternate material for the backer board? My jeep didn't have one when I bought it. Fabric was stretched side to side and glued.

Is the stock one cardboard or some other material?

Thanks
Go to the JY and find one in another XJ. Stock one is fiberglass. You could have someone make you one but it would likely be expensive as hell.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.