Anyone put Mattracks on and XJ?! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Anyone put Mattracks on and XJ?!

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 08-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #16
mofo46
1989 XJ Cherokee 

if it snowed alot more where i live these would be on in a heart beat theyre soo sickk

mofo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
walterm77
1996 XJ Cherokee 

mattracks 101...... they use a serious gear reduction to get the power to the ground. so unless you plan to regear the front, going "half tracked" would only damage the drivetrain. there are alot of moving parts, but in it's defense they are strong as hell and last a long time. debris generally isn't a issue either. as I said, I have them on my sportsman 700. water, mud, brush, sand, rocks, etc... nothing hurts them. they ride unusually well, speed wasn't affected much, and power is there. nowhere near like riding on flat tires.
I inquired about them for my dodge, the price is too high for my blood. also, the steering has to be upgraded. they suggest hydrolic steering.... specifically a brand called rock ram. also said turning the wheel while standing still would either damage the tracks, or the steering... you must be moving. they are also street legal. but speeds over 45 isn't recommended. they are very heavy, about 200lbs each. (depending on application). I hope this answered some questions. as I said, I have them now on my atv and was wanting them on my dodge. oh, one last thing. depending on the vehicle, a lift is sometimes required. on a cherokee, for it to work properly you'd need roughly a 2" lift.
Unread 08-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #18
Disaster1126
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So what do you do about track wear and tear. I figure they wear away eventually.
Disaster1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #19
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

yea really especially if u were driving in anything besides snow.
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #20
Slowride63
XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster1126 View Post
So what do you do about track wear and tear. I figure they wear away eventually.
When the tracks wear to a certain point they need to be replaced, not unlike tires. Another problem, as the guy who owned the XJ in the pics found out, is when they sit unused for a long period of time they dry rot. You can't see it, but the tracks in the pics had cracks in them 3-4 inches long and a quarter inch deep in some places.
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #364[/COLOR]
[COLOR="White"]Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #101[/COLOR]
Slowride63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.