Anyone know a good place to buy a new 4.0 head? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone know a good place to buy a new 4.0 head?

I would love an aluminum head but I really donít have the cash for that . But I do want to keep this xj for a while so I want to get something good.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 AM
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Clearwater Cylinder Head and Alabama Cylinder Head are both very reputable and have moved a LOT of Jeep heads.

Check out their website for application data and pricing.

99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!
post #3 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 AM
4ll4boutda4play
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Salvage yard? Thats what I did. First time removal was on me and if its defective they will pull another and another plus pay for machine work and magnaflux. Pretty sweet deal.

1997 Cherokee Sport, Rustys Intake with velocity stack and larger cone filter, Flowmaster 40 series, Junkyard Lift 3.5", Zone Nitro Shocks, Trimed fenders, 35x14.5x15 TSL Thornbirds (Looks HUGE) ... trail damage :) Future holds Aftermarket bumpers front and rear, exo cage, lockers/gears
post #4 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM
dirty97jeep
1997 XJ Cherokee 

may wanna try Jegs.com or summitracing.com they sell alot of parts that you wouldnt normally find and there quality parts too!
post #5 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 08:46 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Alabama Cylinder

"Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #6 of 25 Old 02-01-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome .. Thanks so much
post #7 of 25 Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 PM
jasonmason147
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Alright is it me or what. I looked at Alabama Cylinder Heads and I couldn't even find Jeep in the list? Am I missing something?
post #8 of 25 Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
USMCGunrock
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmason147 View Post
Alright is it me or what. I looked at Alabama Cylinder Heads and I couldn't even find Jeep in the list? Am I missing something?
On Product List Search:

Year: 19XX-2001
Manufacturer: CHRYSLER
MODEL: JEEP
LTR: 4.0
post #9 of 25 Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
jasonmason147
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ahh.. See I wasn't expecting it to be under chrysler. I was expecting Jeep to be in the Manufacturer list. That makes since. Thanks.
post #10 of 25 Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The best deal is from Clearwater Cylinder Head on eBay. $425 shipped with a 5 year warranty. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=400132572376

You might like to read through my cracked head thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/1...-what-1119119/

My build thread has pics again. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/kevin108s-2000-xj-build-867428/
post #11 of 25 Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 PM
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Jeez for those prices you could just get one from the junkyard and build your own the way you want it...

[]IIIII[]
post #12 of 25 Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

By the time you pull a jy head, have it cleaned, magnafluxed, decked, 3 angle head job and ports cleaned you will easily have $400+ dollars into it without a warranty, so those prices are very reasonable with the warranties.

Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
post #13 of 25 Old 02-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

+1 - time is money for most of us and when my backup transportation only gets 8 mpg, getting back into the XJ soon partially pays for itself. This would have especially been true if I was considering running all over town hauling a junkyard head here and there after having made time to go pull it.

My junkyard is a half hour away. A head is $67 there. The junkyard head would still need a gasket conversion (part + extra gasket ~ $120) and you'd have to figure out a way to mount your coil rail.

Hitting eBay.com and going click click wait takes just a few minutes. Getting a fresh, clean head that's a direct bolt-in saves even more time. The warranty is worth quite a lot too. While you're waiting on the big brown truck, you can snatch your old head off and get everything cleaned up for the swap. It worked out great for me.

My build thread has pics again. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/kevin108s-2000-xj-build-867428/
post #14 of 25 Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM
MixterXJ85

My head is cracked as well. I will be ordering one from Clearwater today. I will also be getting new bolts and head gasket.

Anyone know of a good write up that a home mechanic can follow?

Would a Haynes Manual be good enough?

Thanks!
post #15 of 25 Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
jeeepguy

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixterXJ85 View Post
My head is cracked as well. I will be ordering one from Clearwater today. I will also be getting new bolts and head gasket.

Anyone know of a good write up that a home mechanic can follow?

Would a Haynes Manual be good enough?

Thanks!
The Haynes manual is good enough for what you're doing. Gives you all the pertinent info. Its a relatively easy job so you shouldn't have much problem. Get a replacement valve cover gasket and replace the PCV valve, TStat, radiator hoses and water temp sensor at the same time. Easier to do it now.

BTW... fill out your profile so its easier to figure out things you might need.

Doug Patton
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Think about it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.