Anyone have a loaded XJ Wagoneer? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Anyone have a loaded XJ Wagoneer?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
-XJguy-
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone have a loaded XJ Wagoneer?

A rare beast....there was a guy on the old XJ Forum / NAXJA that had one years ago but he de-contented it over the years and basically made it into a base model for simplicity and reliability.

The early XJ's had some unique and cool features. electronic System Sentry, automatic load leveling, wood grain all over the place; even on the door switch panels. Keyless entry way back in the 80's. Seats with leather and fabric and embroidering.

I never saw an XJ with all the features just some here and there, I even have an almost complete System Sentry system that I plan on retrofitting onto my 86, but was wondering if anyone has one of these Jeeps that he is preserving....would be a shame to bash one offroad since they are so rare....If I remember correctly a totally loaded XJ Wagoneer cost almost $20k when new....so it was not too many people that would buy one....that was as much as a Cadillac or Benz.

Navigator for Team#11 Hurst/Olds on Spike TV's Bullrun. The real winners.
-XJguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
KINGSB
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow that looks cool! I always wondered what that open spot was for in the older XJ dashboards.
[B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]1998 Jeep Cherokee [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]Classic[/I][/FONT] with Factory Gunmetal Peral Coat Paint,[/FONT][/B] [FONT="Showcard Gothic"]With Added 2.5 Inch Medium Load Full Old Man Emu Lift Kit - 30 Inch BF Goodrich All Terrains T/As - Curt Trailer Hitch - Mopar Gas Tank Skid Plate - Hella H4 Conversion Headlights - All Factory Mopar Interior Accessories - and Much More![/FONT]

[B][SIZE="3"]My Build Thread: Project Daily Driver![/SIZE][/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/project-jeep-cherokee-daily-driver-build-1253421/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/project-jeep-cherokee-daily-driver-build-1253421/[/URL]
KINGSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My parents had one about 8 years ago, it was very nice, not without the usual XJ problems, but still very nice. It was actually my first jeep and i learned to drive in it. My parents sold it to a friend for a ridiculously low amount of money and the guy proceeded to trash it, he sold all the parts he could off of it and abandoned it somewhere in central Alabama.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
jeepski89
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Now thats luxuary.
jeepski89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
WarEagleXJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSB View Post
Wow that looks cool! I always wondered what that open spot was for in the older XJ dashboards.
+1, in the '94!
Red 1991 Z32 (Nissan 300ZX) Slicktop 5MT N/A
WarEagleXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskeenan View Post
abandoned it somewhere in central Alabama.
Let me know where it is, because I'm located in central Alabama. I'll rape that thing.
Unread 01-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
4low4fun
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've been hunting for one for a good price. My family loves restoring classic cars and I'm the only guy in the fam not to have one.. My dad has a HUGE garage with every tool you could think of. Perfect place to do something like that..
4low4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSB View Post
switches i think.. i guess they just didn't care to re-design the dash when they stopped putting stuff there.

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

That thing on the dash, System Sentry, may look cool to you guys but it was a huge POS and problem for us at the dealership when these things were under warranty. The sensors would trigger the warning light when nothing was really wrong. Customers would have the Jeeps towed in if any of those lights came on. IIRC, the system was influenced by something Renault used on their cars in Europe. Very unreliable and finicky.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
That thing on the dash, System Sentry, may look cool to you guys but it was a huge POS and problem for us at the dealership when these things were under warranty. The sensors would trigger the warning light when nothing was really wrong. Customers would have the Jeeps towed in if any of those lights came on. IIRC, the system was influenced by something Renault used on their cars in Europe. Very unreliable and finicky.
It still looks Badass though, but I agree for any practicality it would probably be a pain in the ***.
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

How would you like to wire it and install all the sensors? I'm sure the wiring for the diff level sensors would last about one four wheeling trip before they were torn off.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
wessker96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I thought I had one but I dont have those at top HMMMMM maybe not fully loaded Not trail ridden

Membership courtesy of Fletch
wessker96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
-XJguy-
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Yeah all my sensors are made in France. I am missing the brake pad sensors
(which are easy to make or take off a Benz, just grounds when pads are worn) and the engine oil level sensors. I have the brain, all the other sensors and the wiring harness.

Seems that people just didn't know how to read the thing, since you were to regard it either when starting up or at a stand still or whatever else.

I heard the only sensor that really worked well was the brake pad sensor, it was also the simplest.
Unread 01-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
-XJguy-
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessker96 View Post
I thought I had one but I dont have those at top HMMMMM maybe not fully loaded Not trail ridden

Nice color combo. Up until recently you could still buy the replacement exterior wood trim from the dealer. You might still be able to, someone has to have some left over. The earlier models had a vacuum switch where the coin holder is that you would slide over to engage the Selectrac 4wd.
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #15
wessker96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -XJguy- View Post
Nice color combo. Up until recently you could still buy the replacement exterior wood trim from the dealer. You might still be able to, someone has to have some left over. The earlier models had a vacuum switch where the coin holder is that you would slide over to engage the Selectrac 4wd.
Thanks its def unique jeep. I love it.

Membership courtesy of Fletch
wessker96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.