anybody see these tail light covers before? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > anybody see these tail light covers before?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
BigOrangeXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

anybody see these tail light covers before?

I noticed this XJ in a parking lot today. Definitely nothing in the way of protection, but looks a little better than stock IMO without blacking out. Have yet to find anything like my old tail light covers on my '88 (pic below 1st pic).

photo01.jpg   photo02.jpg  

RIP - '88 BigOrangeXJ (4.6L stroker, 3.5" RE lift, 32" BFG M/T and TONS more)...
You will be resurrected as a '98.
BigOrangeXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
BigOrangeXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've searched google and ebay as well but couldn't find anything. They look slightly on the "feminine" side, but something different at least. Does anyone know if the rear quarter armor that incorporate the tail lights are DOT legal or off road only?

RIP - '88 BigOrangeXJ (4.6L stroker, 3.5" RE lift, 32" BFG M/T and TONS more)...
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrangeXJ View Post
I've searched google and ebay as well but couldn't find anything. They look slightly on the "feminine" side, but something different at least. Does anyone know if the rear quarter armor that incorporate the tail lights are DOT legal or off road only?
Never seen those. Covers but they don't look to bad IMO. Tecnically any modifications to tail lights would be illegal.. but its not somthing most cops would stop you for. As long at you have brake lights regular tail lights reverse lights blinkers and hazzards anyways. Personally I love the looks of the armor with tail lights... but if a light goes out its going to be more difficult to track down
lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
BigOrangeXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeh, I think there are 2 companies (maybe more?) that make armor with tail light housings but I am not sure if they are DOT legal as I haven't noticed any reverse lights in them as well. They look much better on the pre '97 XJ, but saddened again that I could only get $3k from the bank for a car as far back as '98 so that's what I ended up with. Not overly worried about the police as I've always pushed my limits with tint (5% all around on the orange XJ) and NEVER use a front plate cuz I hate it.

Unread 08-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not worried about cops either but it gets anoying being pulled over for reason like no flares multiple times and being ticketed For it. That money could have gone to make your rig legal 100% and then you wouldn't have a reason to be pulled over in the first place. Google hide away plate holders. Few places make ones that fold in and slide under so they are unseen.
lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
lonewolf41191
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think they look pretty cool. i would buy some if i knew where to get them ha
lonewolf41191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak View Post
I'm not worried about cops either but it gets anoying being pulled over for reason like no flares multiple times and being ticketed For it. That money could have gone to make your rig legal 100% and then you wouldn't have a reason to be pulled over in the first place. Google hide away plate holders. Few places make ones that fold in and slide under so they are unseen.
Just move to Alabama. Flare laws? What laws?!

It looks like those covers actually encompass the light housing more than what visually would be allowed.

Light guards for me where always snow bank protectors. Every thing else will destroy the guard and light, but a snow bank will give away to a guard.
Unread 08-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
KINGSB
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Too bad you didn't get a closer picture, because it looks like there is some writing on the bottom left corner!
Unread 08-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
BigOrangeXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSB View Post
Too bad you didn't get a closer picture, because it looks like there is some writing on the bottom left corner!
Damn, you right! At the time I didn't think they would be as hard to find as they are. Maybe I'll get lucky and see it again someday?
I was even going to leave a business card/note asking about them, but didn't have any on me.

Unread 08-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

These look like it.
v-tech.com/product/applications/5044/
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
BigOrangeXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLJ View Post
These look like it.

I didn't see any picture? Seem just a tad on the high side for dumb plastic too, but I guess if people will pay $490 for an ARB snorkel or $400+ for fender flares, then anything is possible. (I'll be going the $130 Malaysian route for my snorkel - fingers crossed. But at lest it doesn't have the "JINGDANGSHENG" on the side like the Chinese version)

Unread 08-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
KINGSB
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeLJ View Post
These look like it.
Yeah, looking at their website and their other products and their styling that is probably the brand name!
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
BigOrangeXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So after searching V-tech on google and following a few links I came across these, so I guess it is safe to say that it is probably them. Would be nice if they came in a steel version.
jeep01.jpg   jeep02.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.