Anybody here ever taken their XJ to MAACO for a cheap paint job? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Anybody here ever taken their XJ to MAACO for a cheap paint job?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Anybody here ever taken their XJ to MAACO for a cheap paint job?

I am tinkering around with the idea of painting my '89 XJ, because 21 year old clear coat is terrible. It's currently black but I am wanting to paint it yellow. I've already ruled out painting it myself because I've never done it before, and we don't have any garages around here to rent out, so I'd either be doing it in the driveway or my car port, which is a no go. So basically, I've heard mixed reviews from MAACO about their jobs, some good and some bad. The main reason I am attracted to them is because of their prices, but then I guess with this type of job you get what you pay for.

Any experiences or pictures? I'd appreciate all input, thanks guys.

Unread 09-17-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
mybuick

macco has very cheap paint and won't last long. dont even think its automotive paint as it fades within a few months right after the warranty is up.
mybuick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
dlancer
2003 KJ Liberty 

It all depends on the shop. I had two cars painted at Macco and both looked pretty good. A few years ago I was restoring a 1973 AMC AMX. I was really not thinking of having it done at Macco. One day I stopped just to get a price and idea of what they could do. The manager of the store came out and looked over the car and told me some of the spots that needed more attention. We talked for over a half an hour. He assured me that he would do a good job and if I was not happy he would do it again until I was happy. On top of that the price was better than any where else. I had him do it and for many years after that when I took it to shows people did not believe it when I told them Macco painted the car. A few years later I had another AMC. The store I had the AMX done had closed up. I found the same guy managing another Macco and he did just as good a job on that car as he did the AMX. I would say go to your local Macco and talk to the manager. Tell him what you want and see how interested he seems in doing a good job for you. You should be able to tell in as little as 5min. if this guy knows what he's talking about.
dlancer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Why not paint it your self?

Implement paint and a spray gun will cost you less than $100

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I've heard that it all depends on the franchisee, or the person who owns and operates the particular MAACO. So basically what you're saying is that I should ride up there, tell them what I'm looking for, any major concerns that I have, and just get a feel for the type of people the workers are?

I don't want to pay $500-$700 for a MAACO job and regret it, but I've heard so many people say that they're impressed with the job. It's too split for me to make a decision so I may just have to wing it and let them do it.

Thanks for the replies.
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you are changing color, there will be a huge amount of work that you wouldn't have to do if you were keeping the original color. Just keep that in mind when you go for a quote. Also, Yellow doesn't cover as well as most colors, so a full prime over the black will likely be required. This will also cost extra.

Me personally, if I were going from black to yellow, I would do it myself. Jambs and engine compartment first... then pick away at the prep on the rest of the body and do it over a weekend.

A lot of work no matter what...yellow on an XJ looks awesome so yeah, tough call.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Why not paint it your self?

Implement paint and a spray gun will cost you less than $100
Mostly because I've never painted a vehicle before, I've done some minor things like painting steel wheels; of course the prep work is really easy and they were rattle canned but I've gotten tons of compliments on them. I also don't have a shop or anywhere I could do it. I wouldn't know where to start on this thing either.
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

If you do it yellow you will need to prime it to get good coverage. Even with primer it took me 3-4 coats to get it covered even.
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
If you are changing color, there will be a huge amount of work that you wouldn't have to do if you were keeping the original color. Just keep that in mind when you go for a quote. Also, Yellow doesn't cover as well as most colors, so a full prime over the black will likely be required. This will also cost extra.

Me personally, if I were going from black to yellow, I would do it myself. Jambs and engine compartment first... then pick away at the prep on the rest of the body and do it over a weekend.

A lot of work no matter what...yellow on an XJ looks awesome so yeah, tough call.
I was thinking that if I prepped it and primed it myself, it would be a better way to cut down on costs from the shop, but if I'm going through all the prep work myself I may as well go ahead and paint the damn thing.. Well thanks for the post man, I guess I've got some more research to do and more stuff to read. I'm trying to search for like a write-up from somebody who has done it (preferably for the first time) and had pretty good results.

Thanks!
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #10
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdog View Post
If you do it yellow you will need to prime it to get good coverage. Even with primer it took me 3-4 coats to get it covered even.
Do you have a thread documenting when and what you did to paint yours? I've seen other pictures of your XJ, it looks great. Yours is actually one of the yellow ones that made me want a yellow XJ.
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

On my old build thread i do. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...s-pics-660967/
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks buddy, nice job on the XJ. Yours is by far one of my top three favorite XJs.
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
FG Jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

most of a good paint job is prep work. so if you prep it yourself and then have macco do it it could be a pretty decent job if you prep it really well.

i'm going to throw this out there though. do you wheel your jeep a lot and find it getting scratched and dinged/dented up. If the answer to that question is yes. you may want to duplicolor rattle can it, it takes about a case to do an xj which is less then even a macco job. The plus to this is you can touch up any damage on your own. and you won't feel bad if you scratch or mess up a paint job you spent maybe 200 or so bucks on.

also with proper prep work followed up by a good buff and some minor wet sanding the duplicolor rattle can paint job will look really good. i have done some pretty good paint work with this stuff and nobody believes it was done with rattle can paint.

I want to paint my 98 xj intense blue. but i wheel it a good deal and have some body damage due to that along with scratches. and i have a hard time justifying paying 700 dollars or more for something that i will purposefully damage out on a trail. i'm really considering going the duplicolor route for my xj. as of right now i have a spare 98 xj fender that i fully prepped and sprayed intense blue with a clear top coat with full buff afterwards. you would swear it was painted at a shop or something from the look. right now i have it my yard letting the sun/rain and eventually snow this winter beat the hell out of it to see how it holds up to the elements.
Unread 09-17-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My XJ gets wheeled, but not places like Moab or Hollister. I drive my XJ to work, school, around town, and I usually end up on trails with a little mud but hardly ever any rocks. I go camping a lot and it sees a lot of offroad then but the only time I ever end up with scratches is when I push my XJ over it's limits (usually to prove a point), and I'm not too worried about denting or anything. I just want to get a fairly decent paint job done because it IS my daily driver and I don't want it to be an eyesore.
Unread 09-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do the prep yourself and get them to spray it.

Or do it yourself with Rustoleum and hot dog rollers. 50 Dollar Paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.