Any of you done the ZJ tie rod upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Any of you done the ZJ tie rod upgrade?

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
dave95_xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Any of you done the ZJ tie rod upgrade?

I am very interested in upgrading my tie rod. If it is bolt on i would love to get her done. The tubing is way stronger and i don't want to be out of commission with a tacoed tie rod.

I was thinking about pulling one off a 98 V8 grand at the junk yard cost me 10$ then maybe buy new ends and sleeve and be set.

dave95_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
mynameismyles65
1994 XJ Cherokee 

its a bolt on upgrade ive done it on my old cherokee and now my new one, only thing it the one rod end is the whole metal bar. but no real difference handling just a little bit more peace of mind. and keep your old tie rod for a spare if you do swap it out. Oh and make sure to bring a hammer to the junkyard if you pull it yourself
mynameismyles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
dave95_xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thanks a lot bro. Should i get the whole rod knuckle to knuckle and buy a new drivers side tie rod end and sleeve or just pull it and slap it on?
dave95_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
mynameismyles65
1994 XJ Cherokee 

i would just check it for play, shake it back and forth, before i bought it. Theres a write up somewhere online that i cant find right now about a guy that bought it from a junk yard and i think he just replaced the boots on the tie rod ends that hold the grease in.
mynameismyles65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.