Any XJ wagoneer fans? Just picked one up today - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Any XJ wagoneer fans? Just picked one up today

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
tylerh860
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Any XJ wagoneer fans? Just picked one up today

After trying out 2 extreme versions of the Jeep community, I think I've finally found a happy medium. My first Jeep was a 04 Wrangler Rubicon with 12,000 original miles. While I loved it, I couldn't justify relegating it to a beater, nor could it join my Mercedes SL among the show queens. So I sold it. The second purchase was by accident a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I wanted a cheap Jeep, but I could never get the Edelbrock carb dialed in quite right, and it left me stranded way too many times. Even though it was cheap, I still it was too nice for me to beat around in. I put it on ebay and about hit the floor when it sold for more than double what I paid for it.

Since then I've been casually shopping, but there was no hurry in the Summer months. Finally this little Gem popped up for cheap. A 1988 Jeep Wagoneer Limited. 2 owner, and the first 12 years of its life were spent in Texas. Only 133,000 miles, and everything works, right down the the power windows and seats, windows, Ice Cold AC, and original stereo. It runs and drives very tight, just as good if not better than the '98-2001 models I had casually looked at. The air filter was not oil soaked and cap test showed no blow by.

My list of repairs are as follows:
Valve cover gasket (doing a good job of rust proofing the engine right now)

Muffler and tail pipe (Not loud, but the long tail pipe is about to go through the back exhaust hanger, and I might as well change the muffler while I'm at it) What kind of muffler bearings do you all use?

Bleed Brakes (Ever so slightly mushy, vehicle sat indoors rarely driven for the last few years)

New Windshield (can't stand cracks)

Detail, Detail, Detail. I might as well make it as clean as I can. I'm going to get some touch up paint and take care of the little chips. There is also one rust bubble on the RR rocker panel that I'm going to attack with some sand paper and POR 15 before it gets serious. The interior is just filthy as well.

I'm also going to try my hand at some feaux finishing on the vinyl wood. While the main large strips down the sides are in good shape, the moldings around them are peeling off badly. I plan to completely remove what remains of the original vinyl wood on the trim, do a subtle wood grain like finish on it, then protect it with some clear coat. I'd use a roller similar to the link below. This should be the most fun.

Tru Texture roller sleeve for Vertical - Wood Grain - eBay (item 300294054503 end time Nov-07-10 05:29:49 PST)

Here are some before shots. Since I'm new to the chassis, I'd also appreciate if you'd point me to some known trouble ares I need to inspect. The U joints are new, and both differentials and the transfer case look nice and clean.

'89 Grand Wagoneer (101k)
'04 Wrangler Rubicon (12k)
tylerh860 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
ComancheKid45
1988 MJ Comanche 

Does it have a Dana44 rear?

Looks like an awesome buy, the cup holders are great as well!
ComancheKid45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Man your J looks nice. My 88 was a pile. Yours is really clean. Put some newer slightly bigger tires on it and it will be a great looking rig just as it is.

You are lucky.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
XJcruiser
1999 XJ Cherokee 

nothin says JEEP like wood! Leave the main panels alone and fix the trim. Its NICE! Rubicon it ain't, but financed it ain't either! Nice find! I assume you are making some build plans?
XJcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
tylerh860
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcruiser View Post
nothin says JEEP like wood! Leave the main panels alone and fix the trim. Its NICE! Rubicon it ain't, but financed it ain't either! Nice find! I assume you are making some build plans?
That's the plan. No way would I touch the wood. I just want to bring back the trim.

As for build plans, I don't really have any. Perhaps some bigger tires down the road, but its capable enough stock.
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

very nice waggy. i would love to have one just like that. looks like it needs a new fan shroud though. and sweet custom cupholders!!!

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I love the 4 headlight arrangement. It reminds me of my 87 Silverado.
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
tylerh860
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I'm curious if the rear quarters are made of a different steel than the rockers? Alot of paint is knocked off where the rear wheels would kick up rust, and the metal exposed should have turned to swiss cheese, but its still factory solid. I just need to do a little sanding and a spot repair.

Sans that one bubble on the rocker this Jeep is rust free.

The previous owner made the cupholder himself. He had an amazing woodshop, with tons of garage space. The parking brake isn't really necessary here in flat Kansas, so its a great fit. He also matched the interior wood very well.
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
Sarahdactyl
★=THE MOAR YOU KNOOOW=

1991 XJ Cherokee 

I want those cupholders!! Get me that dudes number? I wouldn't change anything, just restore it, that's for sure. Awesome Wagoneer man. Looks like the previous owners took great care of it. My bf and I are actually looking at getting a wagoneer as a DD. Do want.
Sarahdactyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Sweet. Congratulations on your Waggy!!
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
tylerh860
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I'm also curious about this unusual transfer case. Rather than the normal 4 high neutral and 4 low, its 4 part time, 4 full time, Neutral and Low.

What do I have here? I'm assuming it means I could run 4x4 on dry pavement if I wanted to?
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

you are exactly right. you can use full time on the street, any time. its the NP242. its a fairly common transfer case in XJ's. i have it as well.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 04:02 AM   #13
Mike
oooh you almost had it

saw one of these with a killer lift in JP magazine, i've always liked the wood trim and headlight configuration
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
leftturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerh860 View Post
I'm curious if the rear quarters are made of a different steel than the rockers? Alot of paint is knocked off where the rear wheels would kick up rust, and the metal exposed should have turned to swiss cheese, but its still factory solid. I just need to do a little sanding and a spot repair.
I have had something similar on a used F150 I bought years ago. I just got a $20 can of paint from TouchUpPaintOnline.com and repainted those spots after sanding and primering them. You might have to blend in your paint though since the car is a little older and the paint might have changed color since it was first painted
leftturn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
tylerh860
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a photo with my fair weather daily driver Buick Roadmaster estate woody.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.