Any tow bars on XJ's?/ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Any tow bars on XJ's?/

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Any tow bars on XJ's?/

I thinking about an XJ to tow behind my RV--anyone tow theirs on all fours with a tow bar--if so anything i should know?? it's a 2000 if that makes a difference??Thanks in advance--Glenn

VietVet67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

I tow the XJ all over the place with my Dodge Ram 2500. Tow hooks are bolted directly to the front rock bumper face and it tows great. Towing it with a big truck is easy, but I tow it sometimes with my grand cherokee and the lack of "trailer" brakes makes the jeep sway all over and braking is nerve racking. Even with the truck, I can't make radical lane changes or turns. The best thing to do is to get a brake actuator for the XJ brakes, so you can stop it when you're towing it. I'd give it a try first with your RV to see how it tows, but the right way to do it is with the actuator. Read the owner's manual about the correct settings of the transfer case and the transmission, too. Other than that, they are a breeze to tow with the right rig. Here's the only picture I have that shows the front tow hook connections:

Unread 03-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I flat towed mine behind a RV without trailer brakes and just planned out m stops. Pulled real nice. The owners manual has instructions for transmission settings.
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

You got it all wrong... that's a rig to push an RV, right?
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

lol
fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Is the origional bumper on a 2000 XJ stout enough to work--will only be towing once and a while to ELK camp--Yes i did try pushing an RV once--folded up the tow bar very nicely-and it wasn't a folding one either?-Thanks guys --Glenn

Last edited by VietVet67; 03-16-2012 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: spelin
Unread 03-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check out RV equipment websites/dealers, you need a special Cherokee frame attachment adapter for the tow-bar. The stock bumper is just sheet metal and will pull right off.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
BlueBadger

I built a row bar to match my home built bumper sorry no pics. I pull it with a 1500 2wd dodge with a 360. Pulls great been every where with it like this. But with the light truck have to plan stops and no sudden lane changes!!!! With that big RV you shouldn't even notice it.
BlueBadger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
VietVet67
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'll be wanting a bumper like Planetcat has then --any excuse to custom it i guess--Thanks for the replies so far-BTW
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You got it all wrong... that's a rig to push an RV, right?
exactly I used it to get a bit better than 8mpg. I had it loaded up with a bung of shooting equipment for the national matches last summer
IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet67 View Post
I'll be wanting a bumper like Planetcat has then --any excuse to custom it i guess--Thanks for the replies so far-BTW
It's an Olympic rock bumper. I have the one with the hitch, so I can swap my portable winch between truck and jeep. I think without the hitch receiver, they run a little over $200 at Quadratec, but there are others that will do the job. I did the same thing with my old YJ. Grade 8 hardware all the way around, some 1/2" hitch pins to quickly disconnect the tow bar, and you're good to go.
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dont forget to use some type of braking device for the towed veh., Jeeps are very heavy and the towing veh. has a very hard time stopping the additional weight in an emergency situation, been there. Luckily I was able to stop..that and in most states it's required, not to mention if things go bad while towing and you end up in court.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
PNWClimb
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mine came with the Jeep, mounts with bolts into the rail and flag nuts. One of the first things to come off, after that goofy license plate frame... I've still got it around

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.