Any High Mileage Lifted Jeeps Out There? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Any High Mileage Lifted Jeeps Out There?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
cavalier

Any High Mileage Lifted Jeeps Out There?

Ladies and Gents,

I just popped a 3.5" RE lift kit on my 245,000 mile XJ.

The engine runs strong (though it's got the rear main leak), and the trans shifts smoothly (though the fluid looks pretty nasty- I'm afraid to drain/refill, should I be?).

Anyone else off-roading high mileage Jeeps?

Mine's a 92 Laredo AW4. Stock everything.

cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Prolonging servicing your transmission will only make it worse.

Fyi I think every XJ rolled off the lot with a rear main leak. It's a two piece sealand relatively easy to replace.

240ish on a 6"
Unread 10-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Unless they've been hiding in a barn, most 90's era Jeeps will be "high mileage".

Somewhere north of 300K for mine
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
vx1kxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

as far as my aw4 im going to run it till it dies! LOL

I work at a jeep specific salvage yard. we had a lifted 88 xj with 916k on it (came from a rural state idaho or montana or something i forget) I dont care if anyone believes me or not it really had that many miles. the leather wrapped steering wheel was worn to the metal as well as the break and gas petal. There was so much dirt, dust and dog hair behind the dash when i pulled it it was unbelievable.....other than that we get lifted xjs with 300+k all the time.
Unread 10-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
cavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by vx1kxj View Post
as far as my aw4 im going to run it till it dies! LOL

I work at a jeep specific salvage yard. we had a lifted 88 xj with 916k on it (came from a rural state idaho or montana or something i forget) I dont care if anyone believes me or not it really had that many miles. the leather wrapped steering wheel was worn to the metal as well as the break and gas petal. There was so much dirt, dust and dog hair behind the dash when i pulled it it was unbelievable.....other than that we get lifted xjs with 300+k all the time.
Are you replacing the ATF?

I keep hearing that maybe I shouldn't do that on a high mileage vehicle...
Unread 10-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
cavalier

Also, NAPA has a special on ATF. This is the right stuff to use, no?:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...200_0274144303
Unread 10-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
electromage
1990 XJ Cherokee 

My '90 is at 186,000. PO (my dad) used it for commuting, and a family road trips, so it wasn't really abused. He took it to a sketchy shop a few times, and I still find the oddball thing that they messed up (wrong/missing screws & bolts, wrong wire routing, weird splices)
electromage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier
Are you replacing the ATF? I keep hearing that maybe I shouldn't do that on a high mileage vehicle...
I changed the ATF on my '01 with 150k on it and it now has a little over 200k without any issues.

Now on my gto I changed the fluid and the 4L65e crapped it's pants only a few thousand miles later.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

I've never even factored mileage into any of my XJs. It really doesn't matter as long as the unibody is in decent shape.

My 88 had 380k on it when I sold it. My 92 has 260 on it. My MJ has 158k on it and it's getting lifted here shortly.

As for the trans, don't flush it, just drain and fill with Dex/Merc III. Chrysler TSBs said IV is ok, it's not. You'll want to drain and fill a couple times and remove the trans pan the last time you do it. You'll only get a couple quarts out at a time because most of the ATF gets held in the torque converter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.