Any former TJ owners here? Advice appreciated... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Any former TJ owners here? Advice appreciated...

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 08-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Quartermass

Any former TJ owners here? Advice appreciated...

Howdy gang. My 99 4-Banger TJ has served my loyally for a few years but I am thinking about parting with it. Although it has been reliable and can go offroad pretty much anywhere..the passenger/cargo space and "daily driver" issues are slowly wearing me out. Long distance/highway/towing trips are also a problem. I love Jeeps, however, and I'm seriously considering switching to an XJ....although I would only want one with a manual transmission (which is proving to be a bit hard to find). I have never ridden in (much less driven) a Cherokee. My main concern is headroom. At 6 foot (plus a few inches) headroom has never been a problem in my hardtop TJ. Should I expect the same in an XJ? I only ask because (from a distance) every Cherokee I've seen appears to have a slightly lower roofline than my Wrangler. If headroom is not an issue I will commit myself to finding an XJ. Mechanical details I can handle. Any advice, experiences or encouragement appreciated. Cheers.

Quartermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Durt_Diver
1998 XJ Cherokee 

im 6'3" and i dont have any issues with headroom in my xj. the one thing i could have more of is legroom, but i knew that going in so its not really an issue for me. jeeps are cramped and thats just the way it is

5 speeds are out there, i have one myself, they are definitely worth holding out for. its my favorite part of my jeep.

March 2012 COTM
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
LDO
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm 6'3 and have had 2 XJs with no issues for headroom. However, the rear passengers legroom gets a lot less behind them driver when I'm driving.

07 JK - 6 spd "X" with factory 4:10, rear locker & Elect Swaybar Dicos, Rubi JKU springs & shocks, superchips,Toyo MT 295/70/17.
01 XJ - RIP...3.5 RE/OME lift, JCR sliders, 265/75/16 Kelly Safari TSR
04 LJ - RIP...FT 3" lift, 33/10.5/15 BFG KMs
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Quartermass

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have a potential candidate in a 1996 Cherokee. I don't know if this was a good year (or not) for XJ's and I'm gonna have to make a road trip to check it out. Would anyone happen to have a 1996 XJ owner's manual (or link to one) via pdf (couldn't find one online anywhere)? I just want to do some reading to get familiar with that generation of Cherokee before I make the trip to check it out. Any help appreciated. Cheers.
Quartermass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Lynch_6913
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have owned 2 of each. im only 6' but i find plenty of room. when you ask about the years people are going to start talking about the head issue in the 00's and 01's and i believe that in those years they switched to the LP? other than that i haven't heard any other arguments, i had an 87 and now a 01(with no head issues yet) my tj's were both 97's I6 and 4 cyl. Not sure of ur age or if ur a family man or not, but when I got a family i got an XJ just because there is actually room for more than 2 people. (Yes i know u can fit more than 2 in the TJ's i fit 9 one night driving home drunks from a bar)
Lynch_6913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have had, many, many Jeeps. Including a TJ. I have owned 3 XJ's, and the Jeep I have owned the longest of all of them is the one I still have now, 91 XJ. They are cheap enough, you can get one, and have other Jeeps to play with but still come back to that one. I have only one Jeep now, and it is my XJ.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.