Any former TJ owners here? Advice appreciated... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Any former TJ owners here? Advice appreciated...

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 08-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Quartermass

Any former TJ owners here? Advice appreciated...

Howdy gang. My 99 4-Banger TJ has served my loyally for a few years but I am thinking about parting with it. Although it has been reliable and can go offroad pretty much anywhere..the passenger/cargo space and "daily driver" issues are slowly wearing me out. Long distance/highway/towing trips are also a problem. I love Jeeps, however, and I'm seriously considering switching to an XJ....although I would only want one with a manual transmission (which is proving to be a bit hard to find). I have never ridden in (much less driven) a Cherokee. My main concern is headroom. At 6 foot (plus a few inches) headroom has never been a problem in my hardtop TJ. Should I expect the same in an XJ? I only ask because (from a distance) every Cherokee I've seen appears to have a slightly lower roofline than my Wrangler. If headroom is not an issue I will commit myself to finding an XJ. Mechanical details I can handle. Any advice, experiences or encouragement appreciated. Cheers.

Quartermass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

im 6'3" and i dont have any issues with headroom in my xj. the one thing i could have more of is legroom, but i knew that going in so its not really an issue for me. jeeps are cramped and thats just the way it is

5 speeds are out there, i have one myself, they are definitely worth holding out for. its my favorite part of my jeep.

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
LDO
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm 6'3 and have had 2 XJs with no issues for headroom. However, the rear passengers legroom gets a lot less behind them driver when I'm driving.

07 JK - 6 spd "X" with factory 4:10, rear locker & Elect Swaybar Dicos, Rubi JKU springs & shocks, superchips,Toyo MT 295/70/17.
01 XJ - RIP...3.5 RE/OME lift, JCR sliders, 265/75/16 Kelly Safari TSR
04 LJ - RIP...FT 3" lift, 33/10.5/15 BFG KMs
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Quartermass

Thanks for the replies, guys. I have a potential candidate in a 1996 Cherokee. I don't know if this was a good year (or not) for XJ's and I'm gonna have to make a road trip to check it out. Would anyone happen to have a 1996 XJ owner's manual (or link to one) via pdf (couldn't find one online anywhere)? I just want to do some reading to get familiar with that generation of Cherokee before I make the trip to check it out. Any help appreciated. Cheers.
Quartermass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
Lynch_6913
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have owned 2 of each. im only 6' but i find plenty of room. when you ask about the years people are going to start talking about the head issue in the 00's and 01's and i believe that in those years they switched to the LP? other than that i haven't heard any other arguments, i had an 87 and now a 01(with no head issues yet) my tj's were both 97's I6 and 4 cyl. Not sure of ur age or if ur a family man or not, but when I got a family i got an XJ just because there is actually room for more than 2 people. (Yes i know u can fit more than 2 in the TJ's i fit 9 one night driving home drunks from a bar)
Lynch_6913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
jeepdavetj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have had, many, many Jeeps. Including a TJ. I have owned 3 XJ's, and the Jeep I have owned the longest of all of them is the one I still have now, 91 XJ. They are cheap enough, you can get one, and have other Jeeps to play with but still come back to that one. I have only one Jeep now, and it is my XJ.

[B][I]Ash from Army of Darkness[/I][/B][QUOTE]Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?[/QUOTE]
jeepdavetj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.