Any expo xj's out there? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Any expo xj's out there?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
idaxj97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Any expo xj's out there?

OK i know lots of people build their jeeps for rock crawling or playing around in the mud... but lets see some xj's built for the expedition side of off-roading.
Ill start so heres mine.

idaxj97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice jeep. that is kind of the direction i am leaning towards.
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
pmccoy9876
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good AND functional. I love trailriding, but I don't think that's really what you're talking about. I'm in the process of building my jeep for all around functionality.
Are you insane? Do you have any idea how many slip-and-fall accidents are caused by carelessly discarded banana peels? This is a crime of Vaudevillian proportions and must not be tolerated in a civilized society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCJ2A View Post
I have no input of any value to this thread but those are awesome.
'No Solution' Build Thread
pmccoy9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Chelsea
The clocks ticking, pops.

1999 XJ Cherokee 

We do lots of trail riding. I love just roaming around and seeing what we find.

2005 WK Limited, 5.7 hemi, QDii, stock for now

1999 XJ Sport, trail rig, lots of goodies
Chelsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

My current build is for DD and long road trips / exploring. I haven't got the rock / mud bug yet so I have been building it for more comfort and function then anything else. Just looking to be able to go almost anywhere when i want to.

I don't have any current photos of my storage solutions to maximize space but i do from my old xj, I have since transfered it all over to my new xj with a few additions to the back, I keep my rock climbing gear, all my tools, recovery and first aid, 3 fire extinguishers a few days food and water.

right now all my tools are in a tool box since it was getting to hard to find the tools i wanted while we where working on the jeep in the garage, but i think i will be putting it back in the drawer soon.

DIY drawer sliders and DIY window screen for ropes.

webdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
idaxj97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the comments, im just getting started next on my list of things to do are an arb bumper, rock sliders (just in case i come accross some larger rocks or trees on the trail) rear tire carrier that can hold my hi lift jack and 2 jerry cans, arb roof top tent and some storage bins in the rear like what webdog has, and later down the road a trailer to hold the tent and other gear i plan on taking.
Unread 04-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
ExpeditionXJ

I'v been rebuilding my rockcrawler more towards the Overlanding scene the last few years, pic from camp last week.

Picked up this trailer in Ga a few weeks ago ( i was in SC at parents) for a bud in NY, has rekindled my interest to get back on my trailer project. This is a nicely designed trailer from South Africa.

ExpeditionXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
slim1000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpeditionXJ View Post
I'v been rebuilding my rockcrawler more towards the Overlanding scene the last few years, pic from camp last week.

Picked up this trailer in Ga a few weeks ago ( i was in SC at parents) for a bud in NY, has rekindled my interest to get back on my trailer project. This is a nicely designed trailer from South Africa.

You my friend have the sweetest expedition xj i have ever seen. i hope my expo xj comes out half as good as yours.

Building mine to be highway friendly for camping and fishing trips.

slim1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Can't see all of your pics at work, but I'll check 'em out at home.

That's more of the direction I'm heading also... working on a basket rack to go with the 4 crossbars, and debating a brush guard/bull bar. I'm trying to keep the weight down... I have a hitch and black factory bumpers sitting in the garage... I think I'm going to do one of these: http://www.detoursusa.com/tailbone.php
picture1.jpg  
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
suprdave80
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdog View Post
My current build is for DD and long road trips / exploring. I haven't got the rock / mud bug yet so I have been building it for more comfort and function then anything else. Just looking to be able to go almost anywhere when i want to.

I don't have any current photos of my storage solutions to maximize space but i do from my old xj, I have since transfered it all over to my new xj with a few additions to the back, I keep my rock climbing gear, all my tools, recovery and first aid, 3 fire extinguishers a few days food and water.

right now all my tools are in a tool box since it was getting to hard to find the tools i wanted while we where working on the jeep in the garage, but i think i will be putting it back in the drawer soon.

DIY drawer sliders and DIY window screen for ropes.
NICE boxes. I need to build that setup for myself. Any tips/inconveniences you ran into, or just straight-forward measure up and go to the hardware store?
suprdave80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #11
idaxj97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=slim1000;7114436]You my friend have the sweetest expedition xj i have ever seen. i hope my expo xj comes out half as good as yours.

x2 i watched the build up thread on this xj and it is sweet buti cant for the life of me remember where i saw it at.
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

www.expeditionportal.com

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
idaxj97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
all ready signed up there great place.
Unread 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #14
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Although I still need some building up to make it a real expo rig, I use it to go places where I can enjoy other hobbies.

Kayaking on the smith river, Jedidiah Smith state park.

Fishing, Comanche Reservoir, CA. (If only there was a cherokee reservoir near by. haha)

And trails.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave80 View Post
NICE boxes. I need to build that setup for myself. Any tips/inconveniences you ran into, or just straight-forward measure up and go to the hardware store?
it was all custom, took me about 4 hours and $60 worth of hardware and wood.

Just used 1x4 and 1/4 " bottoms, routed the drawer bottoms and built it like any house drawer.

If you are good with woodworking it will be child's play.
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.