Another Daily Driver XJ Build ('98 Classic) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Another Daily Driver XJ Build ('98 Classic)

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 10-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #31
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN_BlackWK View Post
I wish! I got temporarily deployed without much notice... Hope to be back in CONUS soon though. I have plans for the XJ... Starting with a proper welder to finish the bodywork. Plus some other goodies
Sorry to hear you got deployed on such short notice, thanks for serving however! Hopefully soon you will be back wrenching on the cherokee.

straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #32
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2010 WK 

Not much new (other than the fact that I'm finally home). I purchased a proper welder! Welding with gas is soooo nice.

Spot welding like a pro (or trying to at least):

Have I mentioned I hate body work:

I've been ordering parts like crazy... probably getting a little ahead of myself! I guess the extended idle switch is discontinued so I'll probably put another light switch in there:

And just ordered a JRC standard rear bumper

1998 Cherokee Classic 4.0L AW4 NP242
under construction
USN_BlackWK is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #33
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

My boss just picked up that welder for his house. He's teaching me the bodywork craft on my MJ, and I got to play with it while fixing my doors. We were playing with the auto feed setting, and trying to figure out if we liked it enough or if going the standard set route would be better. Nice little unit. If you were looking for a taller cart, he picked up the Harbor Freight one for $39 and it fits the welder like a glove.

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #34
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan2164 View Post
My boss just picked up that welder for his house. He's teaching me the bodywork craft on my MJ, and I got to play with it while fixing my doors. We were playing with the auto feed setting, and trying to figure out if we liked it enough or if going the standard set route would be better. Nice little unit. If you were looking for a taller cart, he picked up the Harbor Freight one for $39 and it fits the welder like a glove.

Rob
Yeah, I'm pretty interested to try the autoset. Currently I'm running .023 wire though and there is no autoset for it. I do love the fact that with the simple adapter change I can go from 110 to 220. I might have to get a taller cart, this one is pretty low (and was way too expensive).

btw, I love your factory diesel MJ build!

under construction
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #35
automan2164
1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN_BlackWK
Yeah, I'm pretty interested to try the autoset. Currently I'm running .023 wire though and there is no autoset for it. I do love the fact that with the simple adapter change I can go from 110 to 220. I might have to get a taller cart, this one is pretty low (and was way too expensive).
This is the exact cart he has. You can't beat the price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-cart-90305.html

He likes it. The only drawback is that it fits so good, that you have to lift the welder up a tad when you want to open the door. You can see it in the background of this pic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN_BlackWK

btw, I love your factory diesel MJ build!
Thanks! I love your build here! It's an inspiration. I just picked up a '97 XJ, and want to add steering wheel controls myself, but will be keeping the stock CD/Cassette. Hopefully, I can make something work. Might just put some switches in the console where my hand rests once I figure it out. I don't mind the steering wheel all that much.

Rob
automan2164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #36
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2010 WK 

Decided to replace the drivers side rocker instead of just patching the bad areas... 100 holes later:

Replacement mocked up:

Burning it in (29 welds done... 71 to go!):

New hood! It doesn't quite fit though, hoping new hinges fix that:

Darn good deals right before Christmas... This and the gas tank skid

under construction
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #37
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bumper looks sweet, what gas tank skid did you get?
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #38
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Killer work man ... this is going to be a niccccccccccceeeee jeep : )

with all that work you did to the rear quarter panels, you should open up the rear wheel wells... huge advantage late for flex, running larger tires, and you could put a little stretch in there. Nows the time while your working and before you paint. I think later down the road you will be really happy you did.

Also ... How hard was it to get the outer door skin off? Did you just use the grinder to the edges until the skin separated from the door?
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #39
pinaplebob
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm liking the build. Any updates? I've got a XJ that is in similar shape and am contemplating doing the same thing to it. At least show a finished product if your finished.
pinaplebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #40
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

You have done a TON of work here man, awesome job keep it going, this is going to be a sweet rig!
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #41
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

wow this build looks like its gonna get good~!
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #42
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2010 WK 

Thanks! Yeah, unfortunately this project has been dragging on pretty good due to work and spending most of the time on my WK. And now nothing will get done in the next 6 months due to deployment. As soon as I get home I plan on finishing it up though! Its getting close to being ready for paint. Well since I dont have any pictures of the progress with me here... I'll just whore the WK out. Here is is right after repainting the bumper and cleaning it up:

The bumper right after paint... Just practice before spraying the XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
with all that work you did to the rear quarter panels, you should open up the rear wheel wells... huge advantage late for flex, running larger tires, and you could put a little stretch in there. Nows the time while your working and before you paint. I think later down the road you will be really happy you did.

Also ... How hard was it to get the outer door skin off? Did you just use the grinder to the edges until the skin separated from the door?
I'm contemplating opening up the wheel wells... But for now I'm definitely just putting the stock flares back on.

Yeah, the door skin just came off with the grinder and a little bit of prying.

under construction
Unread 08-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #43
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Any updates?
NJXJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #44
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2010 WK 

Finally got everything on the front end aligned... the frame is pushed towards the passenger side about 1/4" so I had to redrill all the mounting holes for both fenders. Its pretty close (or at least close enough) now:

All new hardware (hood hinges, latches, strikers, radiator and gromets, ect):

Installed Hoodlift struts. I cut the fenders instead of installing over them for a more professional fit:

For the hood side mounts there is a dip on the drivers side that needed to be fixed. I welded in a plate:

For the hood latch armature I welded in 2 nuts instead of the factory rivets since the aftermarket hood had some large holes there so the rivets wouldn't work:

Test fitting the 5.9L vents:

Holes drilled:

All done!

I even got the factory drip trays to bolt up with some trimming:

Getting closer to paint! The build is going pretty slow with my constant state of being deployed (another one coming very very soon). But I'm hoping to have some paint on it before I leave. I think I've decided on a color too!

under construction
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #45
Rough Country
Vendor
2002 WJ 

Great job! Can't wait to see it done! LOVE the WK!!!!
Rough Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.