Am I crazy or can I fix this halfway decent? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Am I crazy or can I fix this halfway decent?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread Today, 10:17 AM   #1
pbiancardi
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Am I crazy or can I fix this halfway decent?

I have some rust in two spots, one is the bottom of both doors (rocker panels are clean, doors only) and the passenger front panel.

I was going to pay a body shop $400.00 to repair but bolstered by my POR-15 floor pan repair I am thinking maybe I can do this myself (and I am worried that the body shop might just cover it without treating it and end up coming back).

Can I just wire brush and POR-15 the affected areas and then cover? For the front panel I would hit it with color matched paint (or something close) and for the door I am thinking just tape off a line below the trim and plasti dip everything below it including the rocker panels. Will the plasti dip protect the unrusted areas?

I dont want it to look totally rigged up but if I can save a few bucks and know that the rust is gone for good I would be happy.

imgurl

picture share

pbiancardi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 10:26 AM   #2
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Get rid of the rust and POR-15 then bedline the rockers and door lowers. Your plan for the front is probably the best way to go. Even if it stands out a little who cares if it eliminates the rust.
Unread Today, 10:30 AM   #3
pbiancardi
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That was my thought, rather have something semi-ugly and fixed than shiny and new with rust waiting to reappear. Bedliner would work better than plasti dip? I have both sitting in my garage anyway...
pbiancardi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 11:07 AM   #4
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Plastidip peels off and doesn't do much for protection. Bedliner will help keep moisture out and is harder to scratch.
Unread Today, 01:55 PM   #5
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Put phosphoric acid over top off the cleaned up rust before you paint it, it kills off any remaining rust pockets in the metal.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.