The all-time best "ANTI-TAILGATER DEVICE" - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > The all-time best "ANTI-TAILGATER DEVICE"

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Closed Thread
Unread 07-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #46
Disco
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Lmao funny thread, ironic too.

In Mass. comin' back from a wedding late saturday night, I had a pretty crazy situation.

I was driving side by side with my cousins bmw doing like 80 and got like my girlfriend hanging out the window talking to my cousins girlfriend hanging out her window and i look in my rearview and this tractor trailer is flashin and practically kissin my rear bumper. So I kinda have a quick temper and I slow down to like 55 to piss him off and middle fingers are all outside of like every window.

This *insert angry cussin* sped up to my left, so I gunned it too and was riding side by side with him and im actually motioning him to pull over so something could get resolved and then he starts swervin us like inches away from the divider, and the whole time im screamin for someone to get the damn plates on this guy.

Nonetheless, we got no plates unfortunately but the cherokee did its thing

Green Jeep Club Member #210
http://cardomain.com/ride/3127026

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDVL45 View Post
We should go PETA on their *** and set it free!!!! We could call it PETJ...People for the Ethical Treatment of Jeeps
Disco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #47
GPTH1NG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I stay to the right as much as possible, but if I'm doing the posted speed *limit* in the left lane and am still passing people, I feel no need to go higher than the limit for a tailgater just to get out of their way. I'll get over as soon as there is a stretch that I don't have to immediately get back over to pass someone. If you're going over the limit your inconvenience is not my concern. And if you flip me off, you'll just get a big smile and a wave (all 5 fingers) in return. The bad karma and heart attack are all yours, buddy. Enjoy!
[color=orange]ORANGE[/color] Jeep Club Member #3
--------------------
04 Wrangler X
[/b][/size]
GPTH1NG is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #48
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPTH1NG View Post
I stay to the right as much as possible, but if I'm doing the posted speed *limit* in the left lane and am still passing people, I feel no need to go higher than the limit for a tailgater just to get out of their way. I'll get over as soon as there is a stretch that I don't have to immediately get back over to pass someone. If you're going over the limit your inconvenience is not my concern. And if you flip me off, you'll just get a big smile and a wave (all 5 fingers) in return. The bad karma and heart attack are all yours, buddy. Enjoy!
My thoughts exactly.

And if traffic (or the lack thereof) allows it, I usually just cruise in the left lane on the highway anyway because [around here] it's noticeably smoother than the right lane that's been beat up from all the semis.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #49
funinmud
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason, aka: Jeepin.com View Post
My thoughts exactly.

And if traffic (or the lack thereof) allows it, I usually just cruise in the left lane on the highway anyway because [around here] it's noticeably smoother than the right lane that's been beat up from all the semis.
Thats what Im sayin too! Thats what i do most of the time as well

98 XJ on 32's and 2-3" lift, locked, armored, and ready to rock.
funinmud is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2008, 04:13 AM   #50
walterm77
1996 XJ Cherokee 

let 'em ride my bumper, they either gonna feel the a$$ end of a 96 cherokee, or a 07 silverado SS! after that, I'll enjoy the look on their face when I hit the switches for all the gen 3 LED's in my truck.... (paramedic). all the while I'm letting my wife (lawyer) sue the crap out of them!!!
Unread 07-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #51
justinwalden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ View Post
Yes, to dialing 911 for driving erratically, and possibly drunk. (wrong lane, under speed limit, and NOT OBEYING THE LAW.)
i didnt know those where signs of drunk driving and how fast can you accually be driving? you drive a cherokee. you trying to get around those old ladies on the interstate?
Unread 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #52
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

only time ive used this method was when this old lady started tailgating the shot out of me when i was giving a girl a ride home from work one day (we both work at the same place) and it was a 2 lane road and passing was legal because it was a straight shot road with a 55mph speed limit. i was doing close to 55 when this old lady slowly came up behind me and didnt slow down until she was right on my bumper. she stayed there for a minute and i said to the girl i was giving a ride home "watch this *****s face" and i dropped it down to third and floored it. the old lady looked like she just saw a ghost and we sped off (only got up to about 60 but she still stayed way back.. and i have no muffler..)

but if people tail gate me, i normally just play the cat and mouse game where i suddenly swerve and since they cant see around me, they panic and swerve too. my jcr rear bumper should be here when i get back from vacation..gonna herc it and wait for some tail gaters so i can break it in
Unread 07-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #53
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterm77 View Post
let 'em ride my bumper, they either gonna feel the a$$ end of a 96 cherokee, or a 07 silverado SS! after that, I'll enjoy the look on their face when I hit the switches for all the gen 3 LED's in my truck.... (paramedic). all the while I'm letting my wife (lawyer) sue the crap out of them!!!
Your wife's a LAWYER? Good. See post #28 in this thread.

Oh, and Ive beat this in court once already........without a lawyer. (Thank GAWD for 14 the cars/3 willing witnesses behind me.) Guess what? It wasn't ME who got pinched for being an aggressive driver. It wasn't ME who had to go to traffic school. It was the ".......Obvious offender who attempted to regulate the flow of traffic using his privately owned vehicle as a traffic control device without proper authority"....who ended up recieving proper citation. Me? I was just doing the speed limit when out of the blue this guy up and decides to stop in the middle of the roadway! Honest, your honor!What could I do? I mean, 55 MPH and he just STOPPED! (Hint: The KEY to beating this is WITNESSES and SKID MARKS. Be sure to leave some behind your vehicle.)

Neeeext!

I'd LOVE to feel the a$$ end of your Silverado or Cherokee. Wouldnt be the first time "big Pete" has had to clear the roadway. ('97 Peterbilt) ARB bull bar on the Jeep, so that makes short work of fiberglass rear hatches and shiny tailgates too. Bright lights in my eyes? Damn man, I am also a welder. I LOVE bright flashes of light. But I DO BELIEVE the lawsuit would be on YOU if I had to crash my rig because you blinded me with your EMS lights. Ooops.

Or, maybe you could just FOLLOW THE LAW, do the SPEED LIMIT or MOVE TO THE RIGHT......AS REQUIRED BY LAW. (Might wanna have your wife look into THAT one for you.) You might take note that the LAW on this has been posted in this thread NUMEROUS times.

4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #54
GPTH1NG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure how it is where you live, but any place I've driven folks going slower in the passing lane is so less frequent than the people who want to drive above the limit that it's hardly an issue. I'm guessing that the original tailgater thread was also meant for the latter, and (another guess, correct me if I'm wrong) the folks responding to this thread (with brake checking and bright lights, etc.) are probably talking about speeders also. I agree that going slower than the posted limit in the passing lane may be/is dangerous, but I question whether it's worth such a hissy fit.
--------------------
04 Wrangler X
[/b][/size]
Unread 07-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #55
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So what is the best anti-tailgating device if youíre on a 1 lane road without passing you are going the speed limit and the guy is right on your A$$?

You came in and automatically assumed that a tailgater could pass you, or the reason for the tailgater was on you was because of being in the wrong lane going slower than the posted speed LIMIT.

The law is not a Black and White on rear ending, but Crap does happen and what if the person in front had a legitimate life treating (what have you) reason for slamming on his brakes?

I just got in a accident were I was in a left turn lane and we had a green arrow. We were going; well the lady in front of me thought she was in a strait lane so when she was looking onto oncoming traffic went to a dead stop in the middle of the intersection. I SLAMED on my brakes and so did the F-250 (or so attempted). The lady in front of me got a ticket for being in a wrong lane and the guy behind me got a ticket and was found liable for hitting me because of a failed to stop. (I stopped in time as to not to hit the car in front of me).

My sister was sitting at a light and a car came up behind her and hit her causing her to go forward and hit the car in front of her. She got a ticket as well for being too close / failed to stop.

Brag all you want about you already taking it to court and winning. I wonder what a rear end accident would do to your CDL and your ability to get old Peter to work?
NAXJA Member #2619

1995 Jeep Sport Cherokee 4x4 with an Auto and 4.0L
B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
Magus2727 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:00 AM   #56
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
So what is the best anti-tailgating device if you’re on a 1 lane road without passing you are going the speed limit and the guy is right on your A$$?
See post number #1 .
4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:18 AM   #57
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
See post number #1 .
But then he wouldn't be FOLLOWING THE LAW!?!?!!!!11 Isn't that what all tailgaters just want to do anyway?

If he's already doing the speed limit, then there should be NO REASON to tailgate, RIGHT?
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 10:36 AM   #58
GPTH1NG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
See post number #1 .
I disagree. On a two lane road, continue to do the speed limit and the person can pass when appropriate signage states that they can. I'm quite sure I'm right about that one.
--------------------
04 Wrangler X
[/b][/size]
Unread 07-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #59
Aran
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
See post number #1 .
Nope, no hypocrisy here! That's for sure!
Aran is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 11:15 AM   #60
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I am so confused!!! He wants me to use the "GAS PEDAL" to go faster but I I need to stay to the right to obey the law...

I can brake really fast just to check my brakes to make sure they are working (last time i checked its not illegal to make sure my brakes are working) so if a poor little bunny jumps out on the road I can stop in time, or if I saw a kid out of the corner of my eye running toward the street i could stop in time. I need to make sure my safety equipment is working in order to stop in time, because I don't have drilled/slotted/dimpled rotors so we all know that my pads may glaze over so I need to make sure they are in check.

So lets get this right,
Quote:
See post number #1 .
As I said I was going the posted speed limit, you want me to go faster because I must be going to slow, and thats the reason for him to be " 8 inches behind me".

But I also need to

Quote:
just FOLLOW THE LAW, do the SPEED LIMIT or MOVE TO THE RIGHT......AS REQUIRED BY LAW.
I can't move to the right, ONE lane, I am doing the speed limit... what next?
NAXJA Member #2619

1995 Jeep Sport Cherokee 4x4 with an Auto and 4.0L
B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
Magus2727 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.