Are all gears created equal - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Are all gears created equal

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 04-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you have an visions of going to 33s then do yourself a big favor now, get 4.88s your mpg and trans life will thank you!! I've driven many setups- 4.56 w/33s and 35s, 4.88s w/33s and 35s, 4.10s w/33s.....

best setup by far is still 4.88s and 33s, I don't look forward to the day I decide to jump to 35s i will miss the good power and mpg I've been getting

If colorado has the hills and mountains I think it does you surely won't regret the 4.88s. I live in NJ and we have some hills on the highway but it does amazing, the times I've taken it out to NY and PA I really got to appreciate the lower gears, not to mention 4 low is VERY low and does amazing in the rocks/trails. Not trying to bash you or anything just giving you some things to think about, I went through this expensive dilemma a year ago and glad I choose to gear it deep at the time. You may think 31s are the biggest tire you will run but trust me, it most likely wont be lol!!!!

xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I thought I had heard somewhere that 4.56 was the lowest you could go on the 8.25 rear axle that I have.
If that's wrong then maybe I should just jump up to 4.88 lol
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

this is where I ordered my gears and installs from, i have a hp 30 up front and a 29 spline 8.25 rear. Came with yukon 4.88s for the 8.25 and usa standard (yukons side brand) 4.88s for the 30. Also came with TOYO bearings/seals ect and you also need to get the new dana 30 carrier. I liked ordering all the stuff from one place but you might be able to find it cheaper buying things individually, just made it easier for me.

http://www.rwkhaussupply.com/magento...-and-rear.html
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4.11 , gears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.